Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 14:46   #16
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: Silicone and other adhesive removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain mitch View Post
OMG!!!
Methylene Chloride, the sky is falling!!
Seriously it can be used with no problem , course you don't want to use it to clean yur skin or as mouthwash, but it will break down plastisizers in caulk, and anything made with vinyl so keep it away from your enclosure windows, vinyl cushions and certainly don't let it sit on that PVC (polyvinyl chloride) dingy!!
Big issue with it is that its flash point is so low it evaporates before it gets the job done. Hence as a paint stripper it is mixed with fillers to retard it's evaporation.
For years it was the go to dry cleaning fluid until a rat drank 3 gallons and came down with cancer.
it is good, miracle-cleaning stuff.
I guess you could test to see how many breaths of it you can take, but the problem is there's already a govt push to remove it, and lawyers looking to sue it out of existence. Every time OSHA reports another death we are close to losing it. It's far more dangerous than slipping on the boat.

speaking of boat injuries, there are govt do-gooders who want to legislate wearing a PFD 100% of the time on board.... ugh.......
Old 16-12-2016, 15:03   #17

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
There is a silicon removal chemical which Dow makes.
It is called DS 2520. It takes all of the silicon and residue.

Can be a challenge to find it, but it works perfectly.

https://www.dowcorning.com/applicati....aspx?R=9982EN

If you can't find the Dow product I use a product called DSR-5
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 21:53   #18

I have not use the Dow product but have used others and they required multiple applications and left a residue that also had to be cleaned with yet another product
The MEK evaporates too fast for anything other than final wipe
I'am talking about volume removal such as the long plexy port lights
The plexy scraper sounds good , may give that a try to cut the large volume down.
I had an inside and outside radius and an inch wide flat to contend with
A flat piece of fiberglass i think would work well also keeping a sharp working edge
I hate silicone and don't understand how it can stick so well yet leak so bad ? I use it all the time with success on engines which is subjected to extremes ! but I think the expansion rates of the surfaces are similar
The one problem with the rods I mentioned is that I have not seen them for sale individually
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 00:20   #19

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Iv'e never seen anything attack silicone as quickly as mineral turpentine.
In Australia we also call it turps.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 06:05   #20

I'll do it with Acetone, it is hard rubbing but very effective
THE PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 02:21   #21

Boat: Moody 44’ ketch

Dunno if you can get it where you are but i am a builder in the UK and we use a spray on product called CT1. I can strip an entire bath seal with it in about 20 minutes. Spray it on wait 5. Spray it again lift an edge with a blade ( carefully) and the whole strip will peel off in one. Spray it again and rub it with a cloth/paper etc and then reapply new silicon. Saves hours of scraping like in the bad old days…
Malabarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 11:00   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

CT1 Ltd. make a line of CT1 adhesives, but their "Multisolve" appears to be what you are using. A mix of butane, propane, and a pinch of dragon's breath, all in one can. (No really, their MSDS mainly says it is highly flammable don't ask more.) Kinda funny that they also show a big picture of a CT1 tube on their home page, except, it is a mirror image and all the printing is very obviously REVERSED! which should be obvious to the company. No US distribution, they're just the UK branch of a Spanish company, it seems. In the US there is a "rocket fuel" spray stripper sold in the big box hardware stores which also releases silicone very quickly. And burns skin very quickly (the dragon's breath again) if it oversprays. But silicone sealant sometimes will still leave a bit of a stain, depending on the substrate. Resists all the "citrus" (aka natural turpentine) strippers as well.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
CT1 Ltd. make a line of CT1 adhesives, but their "Multisolve" appears to be what you are using. A mix of butane, propane, and a pinch of dragon's breath, all in one can. (No really, their MSDS mainly says it is highly flammable don't ask more.) Kinda funny that they also show a big picture of a CT1 tube on their home page, except, it is a mirror image and all the printing is very obviously REVERSED! which should be obvious to the company. No US distribution, they're just the UK branch of a Spanish company, it seems. In the US there is a "rocket fuel" spray stripper sold in the big box hardware stores which also releases silicone very quickly. And burns skin very quickly (the dragon's breath again) if it oversprays. But silicone sealant sometimes will still leave a bit of a stain, depending on the substrate. Resists all the "citrus" (aka natural turpentine) strippers as well.

I stand corrected Sir
Old 19-12-2016, 15:49   #24

I here the advertised hype BUT does it work? Any real word proof ? I here wd 40 but it does not nor does the other I have purchased and cant find the Dow product in the US
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 01:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
I here the advertised hype BUT does it work? Any real word proof ? I here wd 40 but it does not nor does the other I have purchased and cant find the Dow product in the US

The (now corrected) Multisolve does work. Really well in my opinion. I have used it for removing a large number of attempted botches at sealing a liferaft locker in the cockpit sole and it worked really well. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6269.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	138254
Old 20-12-2016, 01:08   #26

Silicone and other adhesive removal

Oops before and after became two before…hey…I'm working on it
Old 01-01-2017, 15:20   #27

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Practical Sailor just did a review of adhesive removers and Re-Mov came out on top:

PS Tests Adhesive Removers - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article

I haven't used it, but will be ordering some as I've used Marine Formula DeBond in the past on life seal, but it doesn't work at all to get a clean surface!
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 14:49   #28

Boat: Island Packet 32

I just finished a varnish job and took off the 3M Platinum masking tape and it left a lot of adhesive behind. Nothing seems to want to take it off. Asitone, xylene, and Goo Gone "sort of" work...kind of smear it around. I'm desperate for suggestions. I've got about 150 feet of this stuff to clean up. The upside? The varnish looks awesome!
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 23:21   #29
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

Dow Corning DS-2025 TDS | Krayden, Inc.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, removal