Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2019, 21:12   #16

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Side berths trailer sailor, width?

Thanks Frank. Those minimum numbers align nicely with what the boat does naturally between the hull and the support. If I frame the galley with this in mind I should have at least 6 foot 6 inches of berth remaining. There is a mismatch between minimum berth size at shoulder and hip to ideal seat size. I suppose ideal seat size would come more to bear if designing a dedicated nav station or salon versus a multifunctional berth.
Yes I do want access and storage. I thought if I did some framing then I could figure a door or removable panel.
If you have time for measurements that would be great. Some real world examples to go with the book...

Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 10:10   #17

If you have a vertical cushion at the back that can be removed, the berth can be effectively wider than the seat.

Also, since it's YOUR boat, you are free to tailor the standard measurements to YOU.

Frank999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 10:23   #18

I find wide berths very uncomfortable. But if you need the sleeping space... everything's a compromise. Make thick cushions that support your back. Be careful about bottom cushion thickness too, having your feet not reach the floor is very uncomfortable too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 07:58   #19

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I find wide berths very uncomfortable. But if you need the sleeping space... everything's a compromise. Make thick cushions that support your back. Be careful about bottom cushion thickness too, having your feet not reach the floor is very uncomfortable too.
Thanks Frank and Cheechako. I will have to mind the cushions. It might make sense to use some backpacker-type sleeping pads at night for comfort and stow during the day to gain sitting headroom.

Wind and rain all weekend here. Bought some nice 1/2" BCX and 1x3" sticks. Plywood is from Chile and sticks are from New Zealand. Odd to think that the materials have already spent time on the water from the southern hemisphere to get to me in mid-America. I would have expected Pacific Northwest or Canada. My daughter had a project needing the same materials so we combined the purchasing trip and a cutting session to get her pieces to size and the berth tops to 2x8'

Spending time on the 'puter before I go putz around the garage. Here is what I have so far. The frame will be glassed to the hull underneath the plywood so the ply is removable if needed. The red sections are existing in the boat. The dark piece is a removable sole that came with the boat. I will be adding the rest. Sink is from before and stove is an Origo 1 burner. I am considering making a couple flip-up leaves on the sink and stove cabinets to provide 'counter space' while cooking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bunks v7_a.png
Views:	16
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	192273   Click image for larger version

Name:	bunks v7_b.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	192274  

Tags
sail, trailer