Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2019, 15:57   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Show your clever low budget solution to fix down floorboards, bunk tops, drawers and

Hi,

we need to come up with a solution to fix our onboard items down for passage making and rough weather.

Before I'm reinventing the wheel, I'm curious to learn about what clever unconventional low budgets methods people have come up with to fix floorboards, bunk tops, drawers and the likes with.

I'm not looking for expensive marine hardware to do this, but rather out of the box ideas...

The aim is to tie stuff down while keeping access possible without to much hassle.

Basically I'm brainstorming this.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 18-06-2019, 16:05   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Show your clever low budget solution to fix down floorboards, bunk tops, drawers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi,

we need to come up with a solution to fix our onboard items down for passage making and rough weather.

Before I'm reinventing the wheel, I'm curious to learn about what clever unconventional low budgets methods people have come up with to fix floorboards, bunk tops, drawers and the likes with.

I'm not looking for expensive marine hardware to do this, but rather out of the box ideas...

The aim is to tie stuff down while keeping access possible without to much hassle.

Basically I'm brainstorming this.

Thanks for sharing!
On the last boat I bought thick anodized aluminum pet tags (the kind that go on their collar) and screwed down one end to the frames of the hatches under the settees. You rotated them out of the way when you wanted access. I think they were twenty cents each from Amazon.com.

Matt
Old 18-06-2019, 16:59   #3

Re: Show your clever low budget solution to fix down floorboards, bunk tops, drawers

How about industrial strength velcro and a pump-up suction cup lifter?
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Screws?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:12   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

If steel is involved those large Neodymium magnets can be super strong.

As in break your fingers if you're not careful, design good leverage points or it just ain't moving strong.

Very cheap from computer parting outfits, salvaged from old hard drives.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Show your clever low budget solution to fix down floorboards, bunk tops, drawers

You worried you will capsize..???

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:17   #7

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I plan to use over center toggle latches. Mine are very cheap SS latches bought on eBay similar to these. (You can buy them for about $A3.50 ea. 2.50 USD?)

I'll get access to them through a 2 inch square hole in the floor which will be covered by a recessed plastic "lid".
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:18   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For drawers a notch can be cut into the bottom rails of each drawer so that they drop just a little when fully closed, you have to lift them vertically to open them.
My factory drawers are done that way, simple and changes nothing that you can see.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:19   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

A couple of related ideas:

- stuff things into lockers, then fill the lockers up with bubbly plastic - what can't move, can't break (mind our lockers have classic HR design so can't open upside down nor down upside,

- use only plastic containers, no glass - plastic is lighter and safer to get hit with,

- foam pads - thick sheets of various foam material (even old bunk foam, in emergency) can be cut to shape and used to lock up various items (e.g. books on shelves, pans in pan locker, etc.) you will sleep better when fewer things knock, dong and bang,

- tie down - in fact I made couple of holes thru bulkheads to hold down bigger stuff with plain rope strings (e.g. my guitar and drum),

At all costs, make sure your floors are locked down offshore - a boat rolled enough may chuck that bilge pump and spare chain from the bilge onto the top of your head too. AVOID.

Other items well worth tying down offshore: batteries, galley (aka stove) .... propane tanks ...

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:23   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Show your clever low budget solution to fix down floorboards, bunk tops, drawers

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A couple of related ideas:

- stuff things into lockers, then fill the lockers up with bubbly plastic - what can't move, can't break (mind our lockers have classic HR design so can't open upside down nor down upside,

- use only plastic containers, no glass - plastic is lighter and safer to get hit with,

- foam pads - thick sheets of various foam material (even old bunk foam, in emergency) can be cut to shape and used to lock up various items (e.g. books on shelves, pans in pan locker, etc.) you will sleep better when fewer things knock, dong and bang,

- tie down - in fact I made couple of holes thru bulkheads to hold down bigger stuff with plain rope strings (e.g. my guitar and drum),

At all costs, make sure your floors are locked down offshore - a boat rolled enough may chuck that bilge pump and spare chain from the bilge onto the top of your head too. AVOID.

Other items well worth tying down offshore: batteries, galley (aka stove) .... propane tanks ...

Cheers,
b.
Catamarans dont spill your coffee let alone toss bilge pumps around.. and if they do your screwed..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:42   #11

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post

Three or four items to carry:

* a roll of duct tape;

* scissors (to cut said duct tape);

* an organic solvent (alcohol, acetone, MEK - whichever you prefer and that might have a secondary use on board) to clean away the adhesive residue when you remove the piece of duct tape.
Old 18-06-2019, 18:06   #12

Boat: Kaufman 47

I've been eyeing these for our floorboards but we may be able to use neodymium magnets epoxied into the board and sole. Thanks for that idea! Also, the pet tags will work perfectly for the backs of our drawers and under seat/bunk boards!

https://pyiinc.com/floor-anchors.html
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 19:00   #13

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=a...w=1070&bih=609

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Children...ojQLBDMYrdKryg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Extended...u7WzJ1ed8tsd0w

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Ant...cAAOSwwRtcxFQ9
Old 18-06-2019, 19:07   #14

Magnets may secure the floorboards but they won't secure anything else stored below the floorboard: Tool boxes, oils, parts etc will have to be secured somehow.

I think something mechanical like a SS hasp latch would be far preferable
Old 18-06-2019, 19:12   #15

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hey there are some cool ideas here. Great. Thank you.
Neodyme magnets are clever for small items.
The idea with the child safe locks is great too (only need to find nice looking ones, which seems a task in itself)

For our flexible tanks I am thinking fishing net over them.

Coopec you've got a good point on fixing covers with heavier stuff underneath.

@Boatie
I am not that worried about capsizing but in the event I would like to reduce the contents of the soup recipe which I might become a part of [emoji848]

Tags
budget