Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which Yard is Best in Hurricane Season & overall
Cracker boy- Florida 2 50.00%
Brunswick Landing Marina FL 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2021, 00:33   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Should we haul out in Hurricane Season FL or GA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Actually, in the 11 years we have used Florida home ports, there has only been one hurricane which skirted the area and never needed to haul or move. Chances aren’t any better in Georgia or anywhere else in the SE.

Conversely, when we lived in RI, we had to haul twice because of hurricanes.

Indeed. I think the OP is overthinking it.

If he got insurance then he should relax and choose the boatyard because of good work at reasonable price and accessible loaction -- which is already very hard to find, without making it even more complicated by thinking about hurricanes.

We had a boat in Florida for 25 years and never hauled for hurricane season, and never knew anyone who did. We got hit a couple of times but we found a hurricane hole and tied up well and got away, and never had any significant damage.

If you're insured, just take sensible precautions and then don't worry about it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 13:26   #17

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

A friend of mine surrested Thunderbolt Marine in Savannah or Hinckley close by.
Both do big yacht work.
Teak wood decks are expensive but there are a lot of alternatives.
Call the spar manufacturers like Hall Spars for recommended riggers.
Have you ever thought about a summer / ICW rig.
Another shorter spar...maybe some way to have the bottom 3 feet of your keel fabricated to be capable of being removed or replaced as needed so you could go to the Bahamas. Float this by the guys at Boat Design.net
If you buy a short mast and reduce your draft you open up a lot of cruising areas.
Then when you want to sail the Atlantic, you bolt on the bigger keel and tall mast.
A number of sail powered fishing vessels had two rigs.
Anyway, please post where you are off to as I’d love to see your yacht.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his painfully slow manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 21:27   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMeltemiWind View Post
Hi there- I thought I posted this last night, but cannot find it now. We are taking delivery of a 66' sailboat in the Florida Everglades in early June.
We have found insurance to cover us during hurricane season thank goodness. However, we need to pull her out shortly after arriving to have her decks done and her rig done. We are trying to decide if we do that at Cracker boy in Florida, smack in the middle of Hurricane zone or do we take her up just north of the 30th parallel and pull her in Brunswick GA at Brunswick Landing? Has anyone hauled at either of these locations during hurricane season? We're not sure if it's an option or- do we try to sail her all the way up to the Chesapeake to do the work?
We would love to have you at Brunswick Landing Marina!

We admit we have made some mistakes in the past but we have owned up to them every time and made them right without fail. We have an entire new crew in the yard, including new management, and we no longer bite off more than we can chew. We have a lot of great subcontractors that work at the docks and in the yard covering pretty much anything you need.

Come see us, I'll toss in a 10% discount on your haulout and one month's dry storage too if you will give us a chance
michaeltorras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 21:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltorras View Post
We would love to have you at Brunswick Landing Marina!

We admit we have made some mistakes in the past but we have owned up to them every time and made them right without fail. We have an entire new crew in the yard, including new management, and we no longer bite off more than we can chew. We have a lot of great subcontractors that work at the docks and in the yard covering pretty much anything you need.

Come see us, I'll toss in a 10% discount on your haulout and one month's dry storage too if you will give us a chance
Now that's how to do it. Well played, sir. As long as we have you, what are your size capabilities for haul out?
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 22:08   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Maybe a more important question is have you checked costs and capability? There a few yards there with a bad reputation.

Too bad you are not in Trinidad. Totally out of the hurricane zone. Affordable rates and skilled trades.

Have you considered going white texture non skid instead of teak? If you do, make sure there is a layer of glass added over the filled screw holes.

I agree with the other posts - Florida and the east coast is a crap-shoot regarding hurricanes. Your best bet is well inland if possible, probably Georgia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	206B0099-ACB0-4130-A1BE-280403E968BA.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	516.7 KB
ID:	245852  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 07:44   #21

I can assure you that Brunswick landing can not lift a 66 foot boat.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 14:25   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
I can assure you that Brunswick landing can not lift a 66 foot boat.
Add..their electric rates are beyond the norm ($0.23 kw/hr) and their security has issues…
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out, hurricane