Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 23:21   #1

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Should I hang extra anodes off boat?

Hey everyone, got a question about cathodic protection over winter....

I checked our bonding system a few months ago with a half-cell, and everything was correct and within specs. Now I'm getting ready to live on Wake over winter here in Corfu at a marina, and haul in the spring to do some work, including replacing my anodes which are half gone. I'd prefer to do them at the same time as the other haulout stuff, ie wait till spring.

I talked with a few old sailors here yesterday, and at this marina (but probably always) they hang an extra zinc off a shroud and dangle it in the water. I know at marinas there can always be extra stray current, so it makes some sense, especially because I'm worried about my anodes lasting over the winter.

I'm slightly familiar with and concerned about overprotection problems, but practically on a GRP boat, is this an issue?

Obvs the best solution is to haul it now and replace the zincs (to ensure the surfaces are correct and some use that conductive paste as well). Second best solution, hire a diver to replace them in the water now? But failing those, what possible issues can I have hanging a zinc from the shrouds or chainplates over winter here? Would it do the job temporarily? One of the boats doing this here is the president of the sailing club on his vintage amazing 50 footer, so I feel dumb second guessing him... thoughts???
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 23:42   #2

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Should I hang extra anodes off boat?

If its correct with a half cell test, you dont need to do anything more.

Stray current needs a circuit. If you have either a Galvanic Isolator or an isolating transformer, you are protected from other boats and marrina issues (If you use shore power). If you are not on shore power, no problems.

Tags
boat