Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 12:35   #16

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Should I Buy this Boat ?

a brand new Beta Marine 38HP will set you back about $10k plus what ever duty and taxes you need to pay. Hard to tell what the condition of the electrics is, but I'd say if you are a young lad, with a steady job, I for one would take the chance If I could snag it for under $8k. As others have mentioned, it may end up a pig and you lose, but if not, you will have a beautiful boat with application of the due amount of sweat labour.

I have to admit that the $890 dollar a month slip fees just about caused my heart to stop, but I guess that's what its worth in that end of the world. ouch.
As said however, if you can pick it up cheap, make sure the hull is ok and the deck don't leak, you can ditch your apartment or house and pay the money for a slip instead.

I like the looks of her. If I was 30 years younger, I'd be bidding myself.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 13:35   #17

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Marina would want her out ASAP
So then take it to a workman's marina, where people fish and crab for a living. They wont be complaining about $100 per month slip fees and free electric and water like I have.
Unless your all about looks, styling and profiling, external things, or are you a serious boater? I will take honest working folk anyday of the week over the alternative.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 13:46   #18

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

FWIW a new engine or completely rebuilding a used engine will cost $200 to $400 per 1 horsepower assuming complete R&R. Diesels are really, really, really expensive. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 13:51   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Should I Buy this Boat ?

You could always do what folks here in the UK/Europe used to do years back... buy a small diesel car engine from a breakers yard and marinise it... back then tho' it was mainly petrol...
Worked then and saved a lotta cash...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 14:16   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
So then take it to a workman's marina, where people fish and crab for a living. They wont be complaining about $100 per month slip fees and free electric and water like I have.
Unless your all about looks, styling and profiling, external things, or are you a serious boater? I will take honest working folk anyday of the week over the alternative.
+1

The point I was making to OP was to line up the move (and costs) before the bidding closes, whether via land, by tow boat or under sail (and maybe a temp o/b on the back or a mate in a RIB etc)........and / or agree a temporary deal with Marina in advance..........running up high (and unexpected) Marina charges from day 1 will quickly take the fun out of a low winning bid

BTW not saying anything against about doer upper boats or owners (got one meself ).....we both sit happily in a drying harbour - in the mud , but if I was running that Marina (with higher end boats) I would not want a refurb boat (or me!) amongst them for the simple commercial reason of not being the image that many of the other owners would feel comfortable with. Plus the noise / mess and simply making the place look untidy
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 14:58   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

good idea to the worker marina idea..
she is a pedrick design and mostly cosmetic damage from fresh and/or salt water ingress. needs 4-108. those are not either hard to find nor expensive. looks like perkins 4-107 parts -- heat exchanger-- and might need a tranny also. that and some protection on th e teak interior where rain came in, and on the masts, after epoxy penetration. good boat. interior damaged teak is only cosmetic not rot .
if you like the pedrick design, she is awesome and sails rather fast. the pother cheoy lee 41 is like my formosa-- fat, teaky and heavy. i believe ther ewere 3 or 4 designers for cheoy lee in the late 1970s
perkins 4-108 can be found rather inexpensively almost anywhere-i know a factory rebuild is 4985 or thereabouts, as was quoted to me when i sought to purchase one.
marine man in sd wanted almost 5000 usd also. i found mine for half that. runs good also. mine was installed for 3 loaves of bread. not too much money considering the replacement value of the boat after completion.

important thought when repowering is the stringers-- pedrick has a smaller engine room than many boats, therefore one should consider this prior to repowering with different engines--as engine room will need to be modified.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 15:23   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

how handy are U? only a bargin if you do all the upgrades

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 15:26   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

or you have barter goods....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 17:29   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
No

You shouldn't buy this boat (or any other) unless you know fully what your aims, plans and dreams are, thoroughly researched the market, worked out how long it will take to get the boat serviceable and fully costed it and several alternatives.

Every marina and mooring field here is chokers with boats that were brought on impulse, then the owner has found they don't fit with their circumstances, plans, dreams and/or budget. They never move, the owners never set foot on them.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:13   #25

Wow.... thanks to all who have posted to my topic with such good advice/warnings (and those warnings are appreciated too).

First off, it's now (that 'boat') $12k and, I can say without question being an old ebayer, that it will fetch another 1/2 as much by the end of the auction. So at $18k and still in need of (thanks to u good people) another 7k including installation of a running diesel engine, not to mention all the refit/repair, it's an easy 25k and you've not even addressed any other problems the boat has.
Adding insult to injury it seems that the slip is $890 a month (California prices...) so it would mean finding a new slip, doing even patch-fix engine repairs and.... a trip through the Panama Canal just to get it to Texas~! I'm not doing that.... it would shorten my life.

I'm good at repairs and hands on work... but I live 1.5 hours from the nearest slip to accomodate such a vessel. All that and still working at a regular job, even though self employed = stress!!!!

No; time to rethink this and; leave said boat alone. At least THIS said boat; there are other 41's out there and of course as has been pointed out, more modern boats that need less work.

Thanks to all who've posted for the reality check!

regards, mitch
rynegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:32   #26

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

For what it's worth, get a surveyor or competent, experienced marine type to go over the boat before closing the deal... I was caught in a hurricane in one in 1983 and was amazed at how well she (and me) came through it. One tough little boat from my experience but the devil is in the details when purchasing a teak over ply deck of this vintage... good luck... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 00:26   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynegold View Post
No; time to rethink this and; leave said boat alone. At least THIS said boat; there are other 41's out there and of course as has been pointed out, more modern boats that need less work.

regards, mitch
I think (for the reasons you outlined) a wise decision.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:25   #28
cruiser

Before you buy that boat you must check every surface, machines, the paint, and other interiors of the boat so that your money wont be waste into nothing even though it's in cheaper price but must be wise.
kolbywhite28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:21   #29

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:

regards, mitch
Think that's a wise choice. The hull looks very good but everything else will eat money. Even the masts need to be removed and refinished, a few grand there just for those.

A tip for any future boats for you, this boat does have fitted covers for almost everything, that's always a good sign and at least shows that she was well looked after at one point in the recent past.
Old 07-09-2011, 19:50   #30

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
First off, it's now (that 'boat') $12k
umm did you even go look again? I was just there and its $8900 with 16 hours 20 minutes left to run.

just curious.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote