Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 18:11   #1

Boat: Custom
Shipwrights

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.....

I have owned boats for most of my adult life, yes I am old, and in the past have always found Shipwrights to be reasonable, honest and helpful. In the last 10 years I have noticed a gradual slide in not only all of the above but in the quality of their work.

Its got to the point today where the job I was quoted $4k for and got a bill for just over $38k. The only change to the original scope was we replaced a sea cock for which I was charged $600 incl parts.

At no point was there any communication regarding the increase and they simply say "look that is what it cost when we added it up and we are not putting it back in the water until it is paid" I will deal with this but am getting really tired of it and to be honest, it is suckiong the enjoyment out of my boating.

So now that I have ranted here is my question:

Does anyone have a good dhipwright they could reccomend on the East Coast of New South Wales Australia - I am in Port Stephens but happy to travel if I can find someone who I will actually trust will do the right thing by everyone (including my boat) and not just themselves

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 18:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Shipwrights

Sad story but all too common in this dog eat dog world.
Don't know what the law is in Oz but you'd definitely have a court case here if it was a quote & not an estimate.
My sister in Sydney got quoted $8k for a rudder repair on a Compass 28 that I reckoned was about 2k worth. Was gunna do it for them but virus put paid to that.
There are some honest ones out there but getting rarer & rarer as we adapt to "market forces"
I wish you luck with finding an honest man & winning your dispute.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 18:31   #3

Holy Mackerel Compass 790 - $8k are you kidding me. I had a Compass 28 when I was a younger bloke, the rudders were often a problem if I remmeber, the Compass Assoc had the plans for free (just the rudder) and then you do it with a few mates for a case of beer and some material on a Saturday while watching the Footy. But you probably know that if you were going to do it yourself.

Thanks for your story, makes me feel slightly better - Hope your sister gets a rudder.

Old 02-08-2020, 19:56   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

4 to 38? There's something wrong there.

Was the original quote realistic for the intended work?

What was the quote for and what did they actually do?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 20:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
4 to 38? There's something wrong there.

Was the original quote realistic for the intended work?

What was the quote for and what did they actually do?

The boat was a new to me boat that had a few things the surveyor found that needed doing. 3 quotes were received and all within about $700 - 1000 of this quote, he was the middle quote, just seemed really genuine and keen:bangh ead: As I said the only extra was a seacock.

So this afternoon my lawyer made a call and the shipwright

She will be back in the water within the hour.

I guess for me, the question is WHY? Especially if you will cave at the first challenge.

Do an honest days work using your skills, qualifications and experience and charge what you said you would when you gave the written quote, if you are not sure, decline to quote, explain why and the customer will probably respect you more for being honest!! If there is a change you couldn't forsee - communicate (there was nothing unexpected here) and work with the customer to achieve something they can live with and you don't feel is compromising your professional name.

No more rants I promise (on this subject anyway)

Still looking for a new shipwright but the saga is dealt with.

Old 02-08-2020, 21:31   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes....
I do sympathise.

I do all my own work, and any time I ask myself why, I remind myself that I hear stories like this around my marina all the time. (Oh, that and the fact that I am a broke-arse student.) I could fill pages with the list of stories I hear, from sensible, capable people around here, where they've been ripped off, where the work has been crap or downright dangerous.

(A number of people have approached me to work on their boats (they must be desperate) and I've manage to politely decline because I don't need that sort of complication in my life and I know enough to know what I don't know.)

On the upside, there does appear to be at least ONE guy around here who does good work, but, surprise, surprise, he is booked solid and is the sort of guy where I think you need to know someone who knows someone to even get him to look at your boat. (He once passed comment on my deck work and was moderately complimentary, though he did spot EVERY mistake I had made, in seconds, which kinda stung.)

So, I guess the message is, keep your ear to the ground, as you are doing here, and sooner or later a name will crop up. What you have to actually DO to get that name to work on your boat is the next question, but it's a start.

Good luck, and I am glad you got the current mob sorted out, even if it took lawyers at 50 paces. I fear Australia heading down that particular garden path, but that's another story.
Old 02-08-2020, 21:34   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I guess for me, the question is WHY? Especially if you will cave at the first challenge.

Do an honest days work using your skills, qualifications and experience and charge what you said you would when you gave the written quote, if you are not sure, decline to quote, explain why and the customer will probably respect you more for being honest!! If there is a change you couldn't forsee - communicate (there was nothing unexpected here) and work with the customer to achieve something they can live with and you don't feel is compromising your professional name.

Still looking for a new shipwright but the saga is dealt with.[/QUOTE]

Happy to hear the bstd folded.
As to why? Suspect he cared more the 800% price jump than customers respect. Maybe some have paid before & he thinks he's got a winning business model. You should deduct the lawyers bill from your payment.
Hopefully the word gets around.
The C28 rudder is going to be dealt to by a brother in Sydney
Sorry still can't help with shipwright query
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 22:33   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I think you need to check their addition. If it were $3,800, I could see it. That's almost 10 times the estimate!!!!

I think you need an itemized account, and I think you need to talk to a different shipwright to help evaluate the charges. But you already know that, so it's not much help, sorry. I think you're right, something's really wrong there.

It might be that you didn't get an itemized contract with a clause to confirm any additional expenses. Maybe you can negotiate something with the outfit that did your work. Have a friend who uses the phrase, "I cannot believe, in this day of internet chat rooms, that you are willing to have a customer as unhappy as I am about to be...."

Good luck with it. What a terrible disappointment it has been, sure hope there's some fixing it.

Ann
Old 02-08-2020, 23:18   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
The boat was a new to me boat that had a few things the surveyor found that needed doing. 3 quotes were received and all within about $700 - 1000 of this quote, he was the middle quote, just seemed really genuine and keen:bangh ead: As I said the only extra was a seacock.

So this afternoon my lawyer made a call and the shipwright

She will be back in the water within the hour.

No more rants I promise (on this subject anyway)

Still looking for a new shipwright but the saga is dealt with.
Good to hear that it is dealt with but no doubt there is still a bad taste but as for a recommendation, I and quite a few others that I know have used the guys at Endeavour Marine, Kogarah Bay and been very happy with both the service and workmanship.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote