Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2020, 12:39   #1

Boat: 1983 Hinckley Sou'wester 59 masthead sloop
Shipmate Stove - Propane 3-burner, burners replacement

Shipmate burners, this has been a continuing project for me over the past 5 years. Finding burner caps for the old (near 40 years) Shipmate stove model 883 which is a 3 burner propane stove, has been a challenge over the last five years. My First and best Mate, a professionally trained chef, goes through these about every 18 months. This isn't about cost but we happen to like this stove's quality, other than burner caps, more than the more modern gimbal stove alternatives.
I have found a couple of caps at little community appliance stores in Puerto Rico over the years but none in the last couple of years. This tells me that other residential stoves used this cap. Which ones? Here may be a breakthrough and I will keep this thread active on my progress. The attached picture are the burner caps and bases from a Tappan RV stove model number 14-3621. Not using the delivery tubes, the parts are very similar to our Shipmate OE parts. I purchased these parts as NOS (new old stock) today for $150. This Tappan is a vintage stove but at least it gives us sailors another thread to pursue (Tappan 14-3621 and -3622 both used these bases) as Shipmate and marine sources are about dried up for these caps. These bases and caps are not an exact fit for the OE parts but very close so you will need both the Tappan cap and base with base gasket. I plan to modify the screw holes on the OE mounting plates to accept these new burner bases with gaskets and caps. I will let the forum know how this project proceeds. The next post will probably be summer as the Mary Sunshine, our Hinckley Sou'wester 59, is on the hard in Panama and we are now in Puerto Rico waiting for vaccines. I have a high confidence level that I can get this to work with minor modifications and I wanted to post here in case someone else needs this help in the meantime. I will also comment on whether the caps are a superior material or the same "pot" aluminum castings as the OE caps that tend to melt at highest setting, especially under a paella pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tappan model 14 3621 burners.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	229540  
DFletcher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 00:05   #2

Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Shipmate Stove - Propane 3-burner, burners replacement

Have you had a look at this thread at all?

Shipmate gimbaled gas range

https://www.sailnet.com/threads/ship...s-range.88845/

https://www.robertshaw.com/Products/...ies=2147484251

https://www.google.com/search?source...sclient=psy-ab
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 08:46   #3

I purchased Burner ring by Frigidaire part number 5300007473. This is the correct burner ring for the burner bases from the Tappan RV stove model 14-3621. I will comment later this summer on the installation of these bases to my Shipmate tube and mounting plates. Minor drill and tap for new screw holes is what I expect.
Old 18-01-2021, 09:04   #4

Yes, a lot of information on these threads but they do not cover the information above. The old Robert Shaw burner parts have not been available for a few years. Now the task is finding equivalent burner parts that can be used., or adapting similar.
Old 18-01-2021, 09:24   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I have heard the Force 10 gas ranges are the way to go today

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 15:16   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFletcher2 View Post
I purchased Burner ring by Frigidaire part number 5300007473. This is the correct burner ring for the burner bases from the Tappan RV stove model 14-3621. I will comment later this summer on the installation of these bases to my Shipmate tube and mounting plates. Minor drill and tap for new screw holes is what I expect.
Thanks, mate
I was looking for it for years.
I was missing one of these for my shipmate three burners propane Stowe.
I was ready to try to make one with a lathe.
kerubinus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, propane, Shipmate Stove, stove