Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 06:13   #1

Boat: Morgan, 30-1
Sewing Project: Old Sails

I just received my new sails (northsails.com in St. Pete) and my old ones are badly worn from the PO. The main is actually torn in one spot, so they're not worth "saving" as backups.

Any suggestions for sewing projects using the old sails?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:30   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Sewing Project: Old Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanbranch View Post
I just received my new sails (northsails.com in St. Pete) and my old ones are badly worn from the PO. The main is actually torn in one spot, so they're not worth "saving" as backups.

Any suggestions for sewing projects using the old sails?
Make bags. I saw a TV show where a couple of ladies started a business cutting up used sails and making purses and larger bags like duffle bags. They used contrasting webbing for handles, installed zippers and decorations.

You could make covers for seats, winches, etc. as well.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:52   #3

I have also a bunch of torn unsailable sails which I want to use as training tools for learning repairs, etc. Just a matter of finding time to get going. ))

Also a while ago seen a boat owner with homemade bags with his vessel's name and port stitched on them. IMO they would make excellent presents to your departing guests after a trip or some such. One can also use discarded lines and ropes as handles and trim.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:41   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gord May will know how to find it for you, but this question comes up from time to time, and it seems there is a charitable organization that delivers them to a place in the Caribbean (I believe), where they are put to use for start up businesses for people less wealthy than those of the US.

Ann
Old 13-12-2016, 01:47   #5

There is a company - sea bags, I think it's called - that recycles old sails into things like handbags, purses, wallets and all manner of other stuff.... If your sail is good enough to recycle, they even give you a bag...

Here it is. Sea Bags Sail Trade Program | Trade your sail, get a FREE Sea Bag
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 03:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

All good ideas.

I found a local canvas lady who made me a bag in exchange for my old main. Unlike others, there were no limits on size and I kept my business local. The bag is big enough for a second sea bag when I need it, and doubles as a deck bag for my screecher.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 04:39   #7

Boat: Pearson 424

I bet they would make nice sun shades! Need a cover for your dingy?
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 05:02   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

SSCA has a program called Second Life Sails; we deliver them to Ile a Vache managed by Frank Virgintino (who also writes great cruising guides and publishes them for free! This is from the SSCA page:

Second Life Sails
The Second Life Sails project planned to assist Haitian fishermen who rely on sail-powered boats is now an SSCA endorsed Clean Wake project.

“Frequently people find themselves with used sails and surplus sailcloth as well as fishing gear that have useful life in them, but no way to get them to folks who would put that second life to good use,” said Frank Virgintino , author of A Cruising Guide to Haiti and frequent visitor to the enchanting Ile a Vache. “A contribution of materials and gear that supports the principal livelihood of the island is a priceless 'thank you' to a community that has been very welcoming to cruising boats for generations.”

Ile a Vache fishermen build their own boats and are already talented at sailmaking and recycling, using materials from bed sheets to tarpaulins for their sails. Sailcloth would provide a more durable and reliable resource.

Cruisers’ used sails and fishing gear can have a second life. It starts when the donations are delivered or sent to either Marina ZarPar in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic (Marina Zar-Par) or to Minneford Marina on City Island, New York (Home - Minneford Marina | Minneford Marina).

The first delivery of used sails took place in February to Ile a Vache where they were distributed by a free raffle. Second Life Sails is jointly sponsored by Free Cruising Guides and Marina ZarPar, which will handle the logistics and underwrite the cost of transporting donated sails and gear to Ile a Vache, Haiti.

If you have a used sail - or a stash of sails - too beaten up to use, but with sufficient life left to not just throw away, please consider donating it to the Second Life Sails project.

To read more about the Second Life Sails project and life on Ile a Vache, visit Free Cruising Guides. For further information on how to participate in Second Life Sails, email fvirgintino@gmail.com.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 06:46   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

old sails have many uses-- lee cloths, weather cloths, shades, bags, wind scoops, many uses. i use my old ones and those of other folks who donot wish to keep their blown out and hurricane torn sails.
they can also be used to repair your blow out you experience while under way. sail material and old lines always have uses.
help out fellow cruisers and give your old sails to one if you have no use for em.
you would be surprised what is able to be done with old sails, including stopping ingress of water in emergent situations.
i take all donations of old sails.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 07:33   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Make an anchor riding sail out of one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 07:50   #11

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I like the idea of bimini's or dinghy covers! I've also used them to make cockpit awnings for at anchor or fore deck shades. I have also seen people use them for lee cloths or storm skirts for the cockpit. They tie off the the lifelines and stern pulpit to give extra protection from the wind, rain, spray.

I'd pick a project and then use the scraps from the project to practice with. That way you get the most out of what you have. Out of curiosity what type of sewing machine are you using?
Old 13-12-2016, 08:00   #12

Boat: Tartan 37

If they are badly worn, they're almost totally useless. Try this test take a sharpen pencil and see now easily it goes through the material.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 08:15   #13

Boat: Moody 37

Several companies will take them off your hands and give you a choice of 1 bag made out of the old sails as a thank you. Unless you have skills and a damn heavy-duty sewing machine doing it yourself is a world of pain
davewtsnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 08:52   #14

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

I have a jib that came with the boat when I bought it that is totally shot (the main ain't far behind). Planning on using the tired sails for curtains throughout my new-to-me boat and an awning for use topside. Might even try for a rain catcher. None of this will be very pretty at first as I'll be practicing my hand sewing skills. Something to stay busy with while swinging on the hook.....

Oh, and friend's suggestion was to make book covers, which I thought was quite inventive.
Old 13-12-2016, 09:26   #15

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I have a kitchen apron made by a cousin from a Snipe jib
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
project, sail, sails