Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 11:45   #31

Re: Sewing and sewing machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Long View Post
A lot of the machines I looked at seemed to have many many stitch options. The zig zag is of an inherently different type of thing that requires a different machine not just a different cam?
The sewing machine you want to look for is a Singer 107. These machines are used by every sailmaker in the world. They are the backbone of every sail loft and canvas shop. You can find them at a sewing machine dealer who services commercial sewing companies. Sometimes I see them on EBay. These machines have a "walking foot" that is useful when sewing heavy cloth or canvas.
senja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:58   #32

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Wow this is such an old thread, and suddenly after 9 years a post. Cool. I'l play the game too.

I have a 40 yo German Adler with wheel foot. No zigzag, just straight stitch. Bought it for about $300.

Quiet and smooth it was designed for leather and it is awesome. It stitches through any thickness.

Have done many canvas/leather and sail repairs and made all kinds of stuff with it.
Old 10-02-2017, 18:05   #33

Boat: Bayfield 29C

Is the "walking foot" feature necessary for making Sunbrella pieces like winch, grab rail and steering wheel covers?

I'm looking at new Singer 4423 and similar; users state it works well for that sort of work, using #16 or so needles. The trick apparently is getting the UV thread to feed properly.

I know nothing about this topic except that I cannot spend hundreds on a machine. Yet I see that the Sailrite basic machine runs at 500 rpm and this Singer at 1,100 rpm.

Still, for the Sunbrella jobs it may be the ticket. Opinions, please, pro and con. -thanks!
austinrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 18:36   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrick View Post
Is the "walking foot" feature necessary for making Sunbrella pieces like winch, grab rail and steering wheel covers?

I'm looking at new Singer 4423 and similar; users state it works well for that sort of work, using #16 or so needles. The trick apparently is getting the UV thread to feed properly.

I know nothing about this topic except that I cannot spend hundreds on a machine. Yet I see that the Sailrite basic machine runs at 500 rpm and this Singer at 1,100 rpm.

Still, for the Sunbrella jobs it may be the ticket. Opinions, please, pro and con. -thanks!
***I just learned that the Singer Even Feed Foot (walking foot attachment) fits both the 441 and 4423 models***
Old 10-02-2017, 19:57   #35

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

austinrick

Save your money. Those are nothing more than a cheapie Chinese machine gussied up to look tough.
There is NOTHING heavy duty about them.
You would be much better off looking for just about any old 1970's METAL machine like a Kenmore 12 stitch or similar, or Singer 301, 401, etc.
Heck, any old White, Viking, as long as they have a metal body it's tough to go wrong.
Research your local fabric stores and ask if they know anyone selling a used machine.
Otherwise, thrift stores or Craig's list.
Try to see some sewing samples before you buy.

Steve B.
Certified Bernina Sewing Machine Technician
Sewing Machine Greenbank, WA - S & J Sewing Machine Services

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:48   #36
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

One thing about sewing machine demonstrations is they often show a demonstration of sewing many layers of Sunbrella-type polyester or acrylic canvas material. Apart from the physical space under the machine's foot, this is not really difficult for most good older home machines. The fabric has a soft hand and pretty open weave.

If you want to challenge a machine you're about to buy, take along a few pieces of sailcloth that you might need to sew. That will sort out the wheat from the chaff!

Even sewing a UV cover strip on a genoa will require sewing through 2-3 layers of Sunbrella and perhaps 4-6 layers of sailcloth, or even heavier at the head and clew.

Expect to have to finish some jobs by hand. Even with my Sailrite LSZ1 we had to finish the edges of the sails manually with an awl stitcher as they were too darn thick to go in the machine.

And you can only break so many needles before you have to start making serious adjustments/repairs to the machine, which, while illuminating takes time and requires parts to be shipped!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:34   #37

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Wish I got $5 every time this topic came up. BTW, for those that don't know, there's a sewing sub-forum here on CF dedicated to sewing, & sewing/canvas projects. And the more folks that visit it, the better it'll become.
Edit: If you do a search on this topic you'll come up with lots, & lots of old threads to choose from on it.

Click on the "Community" tab near the top of any page. Then select the "Social Groups" option. From there there are lots of choices to peruse, including the one for Sewing. It'll lead you here --> Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Sewing Group. Boat canvas projects

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:19   #38
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Thanks.

Why isn't it a link under Forums?
Under Community/Social Groups/Search -> Sewing is a bit obscure, isn't it?

Anyhow, here's your $5...
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 12:20   #39

Thanks for the advice and perspective; this is such a great forum!

I haven't seen the name Bernina mentioned here and I have a line on one - a 1967ish Record 730 in very good condition. Being sold by a sewing machine tech who has gone through it (it was his grandmother's). 20 stitches, but all I need is straight and possibly the variable zig-zag, though I don't really have ambitions of sailmaking or even repair. Remember, this was all about canvas covers and maybe upholstery. Apparently this machine will take a walking foot attachment, if I were to need one.

Is an older Bernina up to the task? -thanks
Old 13-02-2017, 12:53   #40

Boat: SS34

Pretty much any of the older machines will do the job Rick. The secret is the needles and thread. Check out the sailrite site for this info and if you can buy the needles to suit the machine you own then your set. Setting the bobbin tension for the heavier thread you will be using is a bit tricky but there are plenty of Youtube videos to help.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 13:18   #41

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
It'll last longer (more UV resistant) but it'll warm up quicker. I think we had a conversation awhile back on which color thread was more UV resistant. I haven't been to the tropics yet but I'm told that "shade", "any shade" is better than "no shade" at all!
I found I couldn't use the nav apps on my iPad under a light-colored awning. My new awning is dark blue and I can navigate on a sunny day now. The lower glare is also easier on the eyes when reading, etc. Worth it to me even if a few degrees warmer.

Fair winds,
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 14:07   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrick View Post
Thanks for the advice and perspective; this is such a great forum!

I haven't seen the name Bernina mentioned here and I have a line on one - a 1967ish Record 730 in very good condition. Being sold by a sewing machine tech who has gone through it (it was his grandmother's). 20 stitches, but all I need is straight and possibly the variable zig-zag, though I don't really have ambitions of sailmaking or even repair. Remember, this was all about canvas covers and maybe upholstery. Apparently this machine will take a walking foot attachment, if I were to need one.

Is an older Bernina up to the task? -thanks
Yes. Sapient Sue, another CF member whom I know well, used one for all her canvas work for 10 yrs. or so.

Ann
Old 17-02-2017, 07:04   #43

I ended up buying a clean Singer 237 Fashion Mate, c.1968 (judging from the © date on the user guide). All metal construction, made in Italy, it's a strong machine that should serve me well.

Thanks for the input; you should see me popping up in the sewing threads around this forum. -ciao
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer237.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	141455  
Old 18-02-2017, 18:09   #44

Okay, not to be outdone by myself, while shopping today for a table for my new/old Singer 237, I came home with this instead.

Is this sewing stuff like, a sickness, or something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AtlasSewingMachine.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	141552  
Old 18-02-2017, 18:51   #45
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

I have recently been looking for a sewing machine to work with canvas. After looking a several newer models and reading reviews, i began to look at older machines. I happen to have a friend who collects old sewing machines and asked if I could experiment with a Singer 221. I brought her a ripped sailcover and that little machine form 1938 sewed through 4 layers of canvas with no problem. I am now looking at purchasing a old Singer. Don't know which model yet.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote