Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2019, 19:41   #106
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Re: Sewing a new boom bag, thread choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Ah, yes, when the business of life interferes with the pursuit of sailing....

Ann

Last assignment until next August tho.

Old 01-10-2019, 19:59   #107

Smile Re: Sewing a new boom bag, thread choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hi all,

I am about to sew a new boom bag, using the old one as a template, as it is well thought out and works nicely. Sadly, it is the wrong colour and getting a little old now (20 years).

I have black Sunbrella cloth and I have a Singer 291U3 light industrial sewing machine which can handle this job in its sleep.

Now I need to choose a thread. I am working from the Sailrite site, which seems to have the best prices and options.

It does look like Tenara is the way to go, but I cannot decide if I should go with black, white or clear thread.

Also, it seems that the Tenara only comes in VERY big spools (8 oz), whereas I can get Profilen on a 4 oz spool, which I think should be plenty.

Finally, I am not sure about thread size. The Profilen only seems to come in V-92, whereas the Tenara comes in V-92 and V-138. I assume the V-92 will be strong enough, but I really am not sure.

Can anyone guide me on this one?

Matt
Hi Matt,
I am looking to do the same so this has been a timely post. I also am in Australia. Can you please confirm where you bought your material from as I am only reaching wholesale suppliers? Also interested to know what type of sewing machine you are using as I am looking to hire one for the job. Many thanks in advance.

Ocean Blue 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 20:06   #108
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Re: Sewing a new boom bag, thread choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Blue 400 View Post
Hi Matt,
I am looking to do the same so this has been a timely post. I also am in Australia. Can you please confirm where you bought your material from as I am only reaching wholesale suppliers? Also interested to know what type of sewing machine you are using as I am looking to hire one for the job. Many thanks in advance.
Hi mate,

I used my ABN to buy from a wholesaler, I just setup a business account with them.

The machine is a 1960's Singer 291U3, you should be able to pick one up on Gumtree or Ebay for well under $500. But be warned, they are a straight stitch machine, no zig-zag or other stitches.

Matt