Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 23:53   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Send me your ceilings!

I know weird request. But I am going to undergo a refit this winter and will be re doing the interior of my boat. I need to figure out how I am going to configure the ceiling and the trim. I am interested in seeing photos of people's interiors, trim and ceiling. Even better would be pictures of construction projects.
Old 13-09-2013, 02:54   #2
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Re: Send me your ceilings!

Ive done a few headliners in the last couple of years. Check out fastmount if your going to use a panel system.

if your going with a stretched material system check out the whisper ceiling track, Its hard to find but makes a beautiful REMOVEABLE stretched ceiling. The fabric is rolled into the track with a tool that looks like a pizza cutter and can be pulled out and restretched if access underneath is needed.

And lastly if your going with a glued on vinyl headliner UGHHH! expect a real pita. The glue used is critical on vinyl. Make sure it says that the glue is recommended for overhead unsupported vinyl applications. If not you will glue everything up and over the course of a week or so the vinyl will lose adhesion and start coming down on you. Most vinyl glues have a disclaimer that reads NOT FOR OVERHEAD UNSUPPORTED VINYL APPLICATIONS.

and lastly for reading and tips browse the posts at upholster.com. There are seasoned canvas experts there that have probably already answered any questions you may have about whatever system you use.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 03:18   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

forsailbyowner, have you a link to the "whisper ceiling track" system , google doesnt turn up anything

Quote:
If not you will glue everything up and over the course of a week or so the vinyl will lose adhesion and start coming down on you.
Oh I have that T-shirt!!
DAve
Old 13-09-2013, 03:26   #4
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

here is a link to the track. I you google whisper walls you may get more hits. The whisper ceiling company wont sell their track directly to the public. They have a certification system and only sell to certified installers but trivantage must have made them an offer they couldnt pass up. Notice whisper ceiling is nowhere mentioned in the trivantage ad.

Headliner Track Perimeter 18' (Standard Pack 18 Feet) | Trivantage

ps, trivantage is sticky about opening accounts, they require a credit account and a business license number. Just about any place that sells sunbrella can order the track as a special order.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 05:21   #5

Not meant as criticism, but merely a point of clarity, from the SeaTalk Nautical Dictionary (The Dictionary of English Nautical Language, Glossary and Terms directory.)...

Term: ceiling (n) Definition: The lining or inboard sheathing covering the frames of a wooden boat. Usually ceiling is light planking or slats covering the frames in cabin areas to provide insulation, deaden sound, reduce condensation and provide a more finished appearance. (Lubbers beware: the ceiling is located along the inboard sides of a ship, never overhead.)

What you would call the "ceiling" in a house is called the "overhead" in a boat.

This is a picture of the "ceiling" of a modern pleasure vessel...

Good luck with your project.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 08:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Ive done a few headliners in the last couple of years. Check out fastmount if your going to use a panel system.

Wow that is really nice. So neat. I was thinking more along the lines of a wooden, or wainscoting headliner that I screw into the overhead but that is really a nice look.
Old 13-09-2013, 09:19   #7

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

I used the R6 bubble wrap insulation, spray adhesive applied themed fabric (Disney for us, Peter Pan for the salon, Rapunzel for one girls bunk, Ariel for the other). It worked wonderfully, cools the interior, and only took up 5/16th of space. Used the good 3m adhesive.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 09:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
I used the R6 bubble wrap insulation, spray adhesive applied themed fabric (Disney for us, Peter Pan for the salon, Rapunzel for one girls bunk, Ariel for the other). It worked wonderfully, cools the interior, and only took up 5/16th of space. Used the good 3m adhesive.
???? I would like to see that.
Old 13-09-2013, 10:26   #9

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/bille...ser=1421971019

Look through this album, it has most of the pics.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 10:31   #10

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

On my 39' steelie I replaced the vinyl covered plywood overhead and cabin trunk interior panels with a white FRP(fiberglass reinforced plastic) from Home Depot. About $30 for a 4 x 8 x 1/8 panel. This is a white textured surface that is easy to cut and shape. One of the best parts about this material is it is easy to clean with regular household cleaning products(409, Awesome, Windex, ect). I attached my panels to the all ready installed battens with 3/4" SS wood screws and finish washers. Then added trim at the panel joints to cover. This may not be in the TRUE nautical fashion. but a clean and neat way to reduce mold areas and at the same time allows easy access to the overhead and ceiling areas to add or removed wiring.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 14:34   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Unbusted, I guess that you were seeking photos of overheads, not ceilings, but just on the chance that I guessed wrong, here are photos of both as practiced on Insatiable II. The ceilings in the forepeak are Western Red Cedar, and the overhead throughout is of New Guinea Rosewood.

Hope this helps with your decisions

Cheers,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Insurance photos 006.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	67151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Insurance photos 008.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	67152  

Name:	Insurance photos 009.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	67153  
Old 13-09-2013, 14:44   #12

Beautiful!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 16:18   #13

Boat: KP 44

We replaced the fabric headliner two years ago with FRP panels. Did the whole thing in Mazatlan. Really looks nice now that we replaced the battens with varnished hardwood ones.

Slacker's Sailing Adventures

and

Slacker's Sailing Adventures
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 16:48   #14

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Ours are currently boring painted white, with exposed deck beams. To cap things off, the beams never had their sharp corners planed off (can't remember the name for this) so belting your forehead on them leaves a nice straight line embossed in your skull.

All this is by way of explaining that the attached pictures are one of two ways I would like our overheads to LOOK when I have time. Either sticking with the exposed beams to keep the simplicity or putting in a liner and accepting the risks that entails in an older boat. Unfortunately that "Time" word is the problem right now.

The exposed beams are from a Halvorsen cruiser and the lined overheads are from a Southcoast 36.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Halvorsen ceiling treatment.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	67162   Click image for larger version

Name:	bd5332136891532144734.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	67163  

GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 17:08   #15

Boat: Columbia 50

familycruisers, could you post a few select pics to the forum? the link you provided forces you to log into facebook, or create an account. as much as i'd love to see what you accomplished, I'm not feeding that monster.

Thanks,

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote