Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2010, 07:22   #1

Boat: Ohlson 38
Self-Sealing Hull?

Anything like this been applied to the interior of a hull? Seems like a good ideal to me...(who knows little of engineering)
Self-sealing fuel tank

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
In aviation, self-sealing fuel tank is a fuel tank technology in wide use since World War II that prevents fuel tanks primarily on aircraft from leaking fuel and igniting after being damaged by enemy fire.
Self-sealing tanks have two layers of rubber, one of vulcanized rubber and one of untreated rubber that can absorb oil and expand when wet. When a fuel tank is punctured, the fuel will spill on to the layers, causing the swelling of the untreated layer, thus sealing the puncture.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 08:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Its great technology but of course sailboats are not taking bullets all that often nor are the users typically doing things that might puncture a fuel tank. If it was cost effective and helpful, I think we would see the technology applied to boat fuel tanks. I think we have to ask, how often does a fuel tank get punctured on a boat? I would imagine that it is a very rare occurrence.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 08:47   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
But not if the damage is the size of your fist. Technically, I think the pressure of rushing water could be a challenge.

Still, a valid idea, just substitute materials.

Another idea - line the underwater hull internally with something stretchy and strong so that nothing else than a spear headed object could cut across (?)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 09:42   #4

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I did build a machine about 9 years ago out of a steel that would seal it self I am sorry I do not recall what type of steel it was but will call a friend from work and ask. I know the Machine is in India now.

From what I understand the steel would get stronger after it got wet and any water tight welds would seal themself if there was a leak. The only things I really remember about the steel was we had to use spray arc and it was a flux core wire.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 10:35   #5

Boat: Ohlson 38
Years ago I used to do masonry restoration and waterproofing work. We sometimes used sheets of a type of rubber called bichathane (spelling?) for patch work on roofs and various other applications requiring waterproofing. It is thick, very strong and fairly elastic. If I were to affix a similar rubber or an elastomeric type rubber or maybe silicone to the inside of the hull, wouldn't it serve to strengthen the hull, serve as insulation from the cold and eliminate condensation. Would it also work to eliminate or reduce leaks from threw hulls, screws, bolts whatever? Noise insulation?

Is this just another hairbrained idea from a guy who needs to study a while longer before thinking to much? I'm within three months of buying my boat and ambeginning to imagine all these crazy ideas to make my boat unique and safe and beautiful. ie. wood stove, kerosene light, all brass hardware, synthetic rigging, hinged bowsprit and the list of stuff I'm considering is endless...and expensive...heheh. But I'm having tons of fun. :-) Eric
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote