Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2021, 09:11   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Self bailers - which one?

I'm looking for a self bailer to drain an outboard well on a catamaran while sailing, with the outboards up, and the well doors closed. I'd like one that was adjustable from closed to fully open that would drain 70lt of water quite quickly (I assume they can do this in less than a minute?). Hopefully a quiet one when cracked open just enough to keep it drained from water that sneaks passed the seals.

Does anyone have experience with these and are they effective?

Can you recommend one?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:22   #2

Re: Self bailers - which one?

What would be the purpose of being able to close a scupper?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:02   #3

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

https://atlanticriggingsupply.com/pr...saAlh8EALw_wcB
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
What would be the purpose of being able to close a scupper?
I don't know much about them but I imagined to reduce drag. prevent damage when drying out, reduce noise. They need to close as the doors open.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Thanks for the link,
There's not much information on them, do you think it will do what I want?
Old 02-12-2021, 13:07   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

Bailers like the one davil posted work in thousands of sailing dinghies worldwide. There are two on my 505 dinghy. Useful when we turtled last outing, though we also have transom openings to speed up the bailing process. 70L of water is quite a bit, and it might take longer than a minute to drain. Is there room to mount two of them?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 13:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Bailers like the one davil posted work in thousands of sailing dinghies worldwide. There are two on my 505 dinghy. Useful when we turtled last outing, though we also have transom openings to speed up the bailing process. 70L of water is quite a bit, and it might take longer than a minute to drain. Is there room to mount two of them?
There is enough room for 2, it wouldn't really matter if it took 2 minutes, I just picked 1 minute as a guide so I could understand how long it might take.
Old 02-12-2021, 14:13   #8
rbk

Boat: T37

On dinghies these are generally installed through the bottom of the hull and only drain when sailing and do drain rather fast when moving through the water (sounds like a tub draining with the suction). The one way rubber flaps are prone to damage and if you forget to close when stopped they fill the boat with water. They are also awesome toe stubbers and accidental openers. I can easily see these being left open or leaking and filling the cavity when stopped in a closed out of sight compartment. These are great in dinghies where they are always in the way and treated as a red hot poker when barefoot sailing, not ideal in a closed compartment. There are inflatable self bailers but must be installed above the water line and are prone to failure (simple rubber flap). A small bilge pump may be the safest and best option.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 19:42   #9

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Can you post a picture of what your "well" looks like? And the doors. And the seals.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 14:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
Can you post a picture of what your "well" looks like? And the doors. And the seals.
It's a fresh design and sealing it is my biggest issue, it has to seal reasonably well around the outside and where the 2 doors meet in the middle, I'd like to be able to close it once emptied, I'm ok with opening it from time to time but not leave it on.

I don't have a finished design yet ��. I work in Autodesk Inventor 3D and I needed to know what bailer to use and if it will work/fit before drawing up the design. I hope I'm using the Super Max size bailer. I am still a bit worried how well they will work 400mm below the waterline... Will they have enough suck to pull the last of the water out ?

Backup plan is to pump the water out but I like the simplicity of the bailer.
Old 04-12-2021, 14:55   #11

This is the only photo I have, that's the tip of the leg of the outboard you can just see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211202_153142.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	249339  
Old 04-12-2021, 15:09   #12

OK, I'm getting a picture here. (edit: I wrote this before I saw your picture in the following post) Since this is on a catamaran, not what I expected.

It sounds like you are talking about a well through the bottom of the hull(s), not unusual on a monohull, but outboards on all cats I've seen hang down from the bridgedeck.

So the bottom of this well is 400mm (16 inches?) below the waterline? I doubt any dinghy self bailer is designed for that kind of pressure. I was going to suggest a venturi self bailer, but that deep, I expect it would just leak water in. Badly.

https://fostersshipchandlery.co.nz/p...venturi-bailer

If you can seal the doors, a pump may be the only solution. Or even if you can't!
Old 04-12-2021, 16:10   #13

Now that I see your picture, I'm curious about what you plan to do.

Is the outboard fully raised in the picture? I hope not because there isn't room for "inward" opening doors to do so. And I wouldn't want to think about the drag and other issues of "outward" opening doors.

How do other boats of this model rig doors...or fairings"? Or do they not, and you think it would be good to block off the hole at the bottom...which it would, but not easily I'd think.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:51   #14

Originally it had an aluminium plate screwed/hinged to the outboard skeg, so when you raise the outboard the formed plate overlapped the opening. (Outboard raised by winch and the line held in a locking cam cleat)

When the outboard is in use the plate sits deep in the water and kept true to the waterflow by being hinged forward of centre. Not so good in reverse.

Less than ideal.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:44   #15

The outboard can go quite a bit higher (maybe another 300mm but any higher than it is and it will then come up above the top hatch level and poke out the top, I'd prefer the hatch closed when sailing. As you see it the hatch is closed with about 30mm clearance.

Because I enjoy making my life hard. I would want the raising and lowering of the outboard to automatically open and close the hatches/doors. So in a hurry I can just drop it.

My ideal result would be a single door that slides down on guides and cams and over centres into position to lock down but I think to keep a no interference door pathway without the middle of the doors arc connecting with the skeg will require 2 doors. 2 doors are more than twice as hard.