Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2021, 13:09   #31

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: Seems we bought a Project Boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshooter View Post
The first thing that came to mind is; Why is the bulkhead rotten?

I don't think I've ever seen a rotten bulkhead in my 45 years of rigging and sailing. I have replaced particleboard bulkheads with proper plywood because of swelling at the bottom from water penetration, but that about it.
Unfortulately, they're quite common, typically caused by leaks from the stay attachments.

Even if there are no leaks now, there must have been in the past. Big Q is: "does it effect the structural integrity of the boat?"

To the OP: look where the stays (the side wires holding up the mast) are attached, relative to the bulkhead, and if there is a plate through-bolted to the bulkhead, and going up through the cabin top (ceiling), with the stay attached topside.

If there is: the bulkhead is taking the load that holds the mast up. It must be repaired before you sail, or you'll risk dismasting/losing the mast while sailing. It is not any fun if that happens (don't ask how I know).
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 13:15   #32

Boat: 1979 AMF Paceship PY23

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Unfortulately, they're quite common, typically caused by leaks from the stay attachments.

Even if there are no leaks now, there must have been in the past. Big Q is: "does it effect the structural integrity of the boat?"

To the OP: look where the stays (the side wires holding up the mast) are attached, relative to the bulkhead, and if there is a plate through-bolted to the bulkhead, and going up through the cabin top (ceiling), with the stay attached topside.

If there is: the bulkhead is taking the load that holds the mast up. It must be repaired before you sail, or you'll risk dismasting/losing the mast while sailing. It is not any fun if that happens (don't ask how I know).
Someone my welcome thread mentioned something about stays and leaks, because he had the same boat and it was a problem for him; I’ll have to find the post again and refresh my memory so I can look up the necessary repairs.

There is a plate there but I don’t know if it’s through-bolted. There’s a post in the middle directly under it that looks to be in good shape; it’s the plywood on one side that’s rotted, starting from the edge that attaches to the fiberglass and going in several inches. No rot or weakness at the top.

Apologies for taking so long with the photos; Miss Toddler is made of Velcro this afternoon.
slfro85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 13:47   #33

Boat: New Horizons 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by slfro85 View Post
I wish I had an answer for that question. We’re at least the third owner; prior owner brought it home on the trailer and never touched it. He said there weren’t any leaks when he bought it. Prior owner to him had left it in the water for goodness knows how long, unused. Beyond that, I have remarkably little history on this boat. The fiberglass is in good shape and it’s just one side of the bulkhead that’s damaged - the side by the (camper/removable) toilet, but I don’t know if that has anything to do with it. We’ve had a couple good rainstorms since we brought her home and have had no water in the cabin afterward so I don’t think there are any leaks on the top, and no holes or weak spots in the hull that we’ve found.

I’ll take some pictures this afternoon when I have a minute so y’all can see what we’re dealing with.

My previous sailboat was a 19' West Wight Potter. It barely had a bilge, and sometimes waves would push water up through the lifting centerboard trunk. When I bought it the wooden mast post in the cabin was rotten for about 2-3 inches on the bottom. Since the PO kept it at a marina slip, I assume water occasionally pumped through the trunk, and it had just enough water sitting right at the mast post (the lowest spot of the cabin floor) to rot a little and then wick more water up and rot a little farther. Since this was all hidden behind a 3" tall fiberglass socket, I didn't know about it until I pulled the post out. The fiberglass socket was very thin and slightly cracked where it met the cabin sole. I never saw more than 1/4" of water there in the 5 years I owned it. It was difficult to even notice because it had a dry mat on the cabin sole. But it really doesn't take much water to rot wood.

I added a small bilge pump and a weephole at the mast post base the second year I had it and never had any water stand there again.
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 13:53   #34

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

PY 23 were built In Connecticut between 75 and 81. It looks like there was an owners group but I can’t download the files.
It looks like there is...was...or should be...a compression post on the port side.
There are photos showing the post but no bulkhead and the post right on the centerline with the bulkhead to port. One photo shows a compression post made from what looks like four pieces of wood similar to a wood mast.
Please send pictures.
One source I found states the boat has an iron keel about 900 lbs with a slot for the centerboard. The center board is weighted at about 45 lbs.
The pin looks to be through the steel and from the drawing, lower than the hull.
The pennant looks to be line not cable and comes up a pipe, turns on a fixed block and down to a cleat.
You don’t want the deck stepped mast to fail and neither do you need the pennant or the centerboard pin to fail.
Thus, put all the cosmetics on hold till you are certain these items are correct.
The mast rigging. This is straightforward.
The compression post. The heel is usually the issue. If water sat in the boat, it might have damaged the post. The major force is compression and must be fixed.
If the centerboard pin fails, you loose the board and I can’t find a drawing.
If the pennant fails, the board stays down.
I’ve repaired another swing keel boat where the keel which weighed about 900 lbs fell out and we found it diving. The boat had to be lifted to get the keel under and we had to fabricate supports to hold the keel pin.
The centerboard pin might be visible from the outside of the hull...I’m not sure.
If you elevate the boat and lower the centerboard part way, you might be able to change the pennant line. Please be very careful.
Try to find a boatbuilder who has fixed similar issues and might advise you further. ..and put the cosmetics aside until the structural elements are correct.
Some of the advice here is not from professionals and while well intended, will not address critical issues from the perspective of experience.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew who have dodged falling swing keels before.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 14:45   #35

Okay, here’s what we have.

It looks like there is some water damage to the bottom of the post (not the top) but the wood on the post does not appear to be soft. The damage to the plywood starts about six inches away from the post and goes 2-6” up from where the wood meets the fiberglass all the way up to that gap on the side. This is the port side of the boat. There appears to be no damage to the wood on the starboard side.

Sorry these are sideways. That first one is actually upside down. I don’t know how to fix them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31A20562-F0AF-4B32-B2F2-5422C568AD2F.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	238198   Click image for larger version

Name:	6B8F2DD0-E600-4FF3-B343-020E839AB569.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	238199  

Name:	59A3C501-C33E-4E68-A6D6-51C83BF8516B.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	238200   Click image for larger version

Name:	CEFAEC6E-9985-4A04-8369-4E1F2CCCC0BC.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	238201  

Old 11-05-2021, 15:17   #36

As for the keel and centerboard, there is a lot of rust and a handful of barnacles, but it appears that the centerboard is still there. Boyfriend was given a rundown on how to raise and lower it, but we don’t have a way to lift the boat and check things out or practice raising/lowering it. We intended to take it to a nearby lake for practice before we take it to the busier waterways of the Gulf.

Again with the upside down pictures. Yeesh. ��
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C30E776D-58DC-499F-BB00-B3B402A7B519.jpg
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	238202   Click image for larger version

Name:	39F118DF-DD40-495E-A290-467096E65483.jpg
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	238203  

Name:	8E517E83-E01A-405B-A74C-CD35D37B8162.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	238204   Click image for larger version

Name:	B946BB01-CFB8-48E5-87AF-0FBEBA1D9AA9.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	238205  

Name:	A81F5968-7069-4C28-AFDA-4C86D6E4AE10.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	238206  
Old 11-05-2021, 15:54   #37

pirate Re: Seems we bought a Project Boat.

All boats are holes in the water into which one throws money.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 15:57   #38

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Please don’t take this boat out on a lake or waterway. You have some serious problems. If you paid anything for this boat, please send me PM . I’m sorry but these are not cosmetic issues.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 16:01   #39

Good luck with you new boat/project. I have found heat properly applied with a heat gun will help in removing many adhesives.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 16:33   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Please don’t take this boat out on a lake or waterway. You have some serious problems. If you paid anything for this boat, please send me PM . I’m sorry but these are not cosmetic issues.
Mark
Edit: Just saw your pictures and I will defer to Mark (Manateeman) above. He is a professional boatbuilder and can offer practical advice regarding the keel and centreboard trunk, as well as the rotten bulkhead and that starboard chainplate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshooter View Post
The first thing that came to mind is; Why is the bulkhead rotten?

I don't think I've ever seen a rotten bulkhead in my 45 years of rigging and sailing. I have replaced particleboard bulkheads with proper plywood because of swelling at the bottom from water penetration, but that about it.
Where is Lionshooter? He ought to chime in as well, please.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 16:36   #41

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Aw shucks LW77...I am just another beggar looking for bread here
Sometime the picture thing is that they are really big or an odd size.
Bulkheads and tabbing are in bad shape and it looks like chain plates may be affected. Mark is right about postponing a test motor or sail until some more bigger items are fixed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	py23_keel__flip.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	238211   Click image for larger version

Name:	py23_pic_flip.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	238212  

Name:	py23_pic_unsure.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	238213   Click image for larger version

Name:	py23_pic_spin1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	238214  

Name:	py23_pic_cpost.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	238215  
Old 11-05-2021, 17:21   #42

Well.

Project Boat is on hold while Boyfriend thinks over the options and weighs outside opinions. Don’t anybody hold your breath; he’s likely to take a while.

We shall see what comes of this. Thanks, everybody.
Old 11-05-2021, 17:51   #43

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
All boats are holes in the water into which one throws money.
All boats are holes in the water (and many aren't even in the water!) into which one throws time, energy, frustration AND money!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:13   #44

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

ALL BOATS ARE PROJECT BOATS and you don't fix or repair it correctly until the 3rd attempt. Just sayin. Good Luck in your boat learning.

Boat owners find working on their boat as a hobby. Sailing is what our friends and family enjoy. We just tag along to fix stuff.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:31   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
ALL BOATS ARE PROJECT BOATS and you don't fix or repair it correctly until the 3rd attempt. Just sayin. Good Luck in your boat learning.

Boat owners find working on their boat as a hobby. Sailing is what our friends and family enjoy. We just tag along to fix stuff.
Cosmetic stuff I can manage. Plenty of experience in making things look pretty. Structural stuff I prefer to leave to professionals.

“We’re keeping this boat,” he says, “even if it takes five years and $10,000 I fix it.” Since I know I’m not likely to outstubborn him, I found a few nearby repair shops and have sent some emails to see who can help/refer me to help.

Tags
boat, project