Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2008, 16:59   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Scratched lexan windows

The windows on my dodger have gotten scratched over the Summer during my refit. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get them nice and clear again?
I know there is bound to be a thread on this site but I haven't found it yet.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 17:04   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Yep!

Here's a whole thread...... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-11539.html
Old 28-12-2008, 19:20   #3

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
I have used Novus polish on the lexan hatches and it does a great job. We got it at a plastics store called Tap Plastics in the Seattle area but I am sure it's available online. It is a three step process for bad scratches, two for light scratches. I removed marks from a power grinder that I never thought would be possible and it was a lot easier than I feared.

John
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 19:51   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Novus is great. But does the dodger have hard plastic glazing? If it is vinyl or other soft plastic--the polish won't help you. (Sorry, I've heard "lexan" used to describe everything under the sun and usually, it isn't Lexan.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 22:33   #5

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Soft plexiglass

Sorry, I should have been specific--it's got the soft pliable plastic windows. Lots of little scratches but enough to make it hard to see clearly through them.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 07:17   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

That's vinyl then. There may be some kind of "dressing" that temporarily makes them look better, but there's no polish for them. The only real solution is to have new vinyl put in. If there's no reasonable dodger servicing in your area, look for an automobile upholstery/convertible top repair place.
Old 03-01-2009, 19:38   #7

Boat: 25' aleutka Twin Keeler
Lightbulb Glass-plastic-brass all polish well

I can't speak for what type of plastic it is , but I have the same problem at my car lot with plastic headlights. NAPA sells an inexpensive kit which progressively polishes the plastic back to optical clarity. I have produced similar results with old fashioned rubbing compound and good wax with an electric buffer. test a small area first though before you add to the scratches. I have also spoken with some local "Pennsyltuckians" who do the same with toothpaste. basically you can polish anything if you have the right compound and time-Will
Old 04-01-2009, 00:04   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
The 3 step Novus system does a great job on the soft style "eisenglass" type dodger windows. Takes lots of elbow grease but can take a pretty bad window and make it nice again. The other brand that West marine sells is not 1/2 as good, although I can't remember the brand.
HorizonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 16:21   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Why do boaters and the marine industry insist on saying "eisenglass" when they mean VINYL?

True eisenglass orginally meant the sheets of MICA used for things like wood burning stove doors. Fold a mica sheet up, and it snaps. It is very different from vinyl.

Not to be confused with ISINGLASS, which is a form of collagen or gelatin processed out of fish.
Old 10-01-2009, 22:02   #10

Boat: T Jason / FV Karen Lee
Capt

Stay away from the 3 step systems with Vinyl (eisenglass).

Your clear panels can be either standard, UV protected, or Scratch resistant UV protected grade eisenglass. Start messing with heavy abrasives or sanding pads and you will wish you had the original scratch back. Go back to NAPA and ask the guy for a 3M product called Finess it II shouldnt be more than 15 dollars for a bottle. Apply a little of the white liquid to a soft, clean cotton rag. Spray a little clean fresh water to the area in question and press the rag with the finessit II to the area. Remember the Karate kid? wax on wax off. This should help. Dont over do it.

let me know what you think.

I worked with the Navy to develop a procedure for polishing aircraft windshields during Gulf War I. I have been manufacturing commercial and recreational marine hatch and window replacements since 1979. I worked as a senior techincal service engineer for one of the largest acrylic / polycarbonate manufactures on the planet. I see lots of experts here so I figured I would "set the stage".

Good luck and Fair Winds

Tony "Hatchmaster" D'Andrea
Hatchmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 14:09   #11

Try Meguiar's 17

I have had excellent results with Meguiar products. First make sure the clear vinyl is clean. Use clean fresh water and a little boat soap then rinse well with clean fresh water.

Next use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 17 per the instructions on the container.

Use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 18 for final detailing and cleaning.

I've used No. 17 on plastic watch crystals, CDs, DVDs, the portlights in my boat, the clear vinyl in my dodger, plastic lenses in eyeglasses,safety glasses and sunglasses. It's great stuff.

I use No. 18 for daily eyeglass cleaning and for general touch up on my vinyl dodger windows.
crew2447 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lexan