Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2023, 14:57   #1

San Francisco Bay Area DIY Yard

I've been an SF sailor for about 50 years, and during that time the available DIY boatyards has declined to "nearly none". I last hauled at Napa Marine, which was an excellent experience - but they are quite a ways up river.

In calling around today I spoke with Kerry Scott at Vallejo Marine. He's recently bought the business and welcomes DIY. I last hauled in Vallejo about 40 years ago, but it's very conveniently located and a small, but nice facility. Kerry has been having a devil of a time letting people know that he welcomes DIY business; apparently it costs a fortune for a display ad in Latitude 38 and even more for a Google "Optimizer". If you're looking for a DIY yard in the Bay Area I suggest you give him a call. I plan on doing so for my upcoming haulout.

-Steve Wolf
wolfpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 09:16   #2

Re: San Francisco Bay Area DIY Yard

I agree - SF Bay Area for true DIY is difficult - we looked around for quite some time and couldn't find anything that worked for our long refit. Finally we did the short bash up the coast to Humboldt Bay - we've been at Reincke Marine Fabrication near Eureka / Humboldt Bay for six months now. Great place - very friendly folks and reasonable DIY rules. They have a 150 ton travelift - they work on the Coast Guard boats and local fishermen so have lots of services if you need it. We're half way through the refit - couldn't be happier with experience so far. Google "Reincke Marine Fabrication" for the website. Owner/contact is Tod Reincke - long time shipyard owner with tons of experience - great source of advice on projects.
svHaiYun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 17:30   #3

Boat: 49ft custom power catamaran
Re: San Francisco Bay Area DIY Yard

Vee Jay Marine in Pittsburg is under new ownership - close to a year. While they couldn't haul my 23ft beam, they were great to work with.
wefleenor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DIY, san francisco