Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2009, 20:59   #1

Boat: Tartan 34C
Salvage Techniques and Materials?

I need some quick lessons on how to raise a sunken Pearson 36. She's on her side in about 3' of water, not enough to float upright but deep enough to fill the cabin when the tide rises to 8' total depth. Would it be easier to lift one rail and try to stay ahead of the tide by tipping her up, or would it make more sense to use inflatable items to lift her when the water is deep, then pump out the cabin and cockpit?

Does anyone in the Charleston, SC area have any of the materials I'd need, like float bags, pumps, compressors, a skiff, etc.? I'm traveling 5 hours by car to attempt the recovery this Saturday (7/25/09), and anyone who wants to help, supply equipment, or showcase their skills is free to assist.

Thanks,

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 09:23   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
It would be a big help if you know why she sank--is there a hole somewhere??
-
If she sank because of downflooding because she lay over at low tide, add a dam to block the point of ingress and pump like hell as the tide nears low-you will need at least one 3" or two 2" gas-powered dewatering or trash pumps, and you may be able to rent them in the area. Interior volume is probably about 12,000 gallons, which would take about an hour to clear with a 200 gpm flow rate, but nothing goes as planned...
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 11:03   #3

Sinker, low and away

You got it - she blew up against an island in a creek, layed over when the tide went out, filled up when the tide came in. Only has to happen once.

Do you know where I could get a big pump like that? Anyone out there have such an animal that I can use for a day? And a boat to get there?

Thanks,

John
Old 23-07-2009, 11:41   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I saw the thread on this boat at Sailnet--you have a bigger problem, because she has been under for 5 months and is now full of mud. You will need to dredge out most of the mud if you want to get the boat out in one piece. You could probably use one high pressure pump and hose to stir things up and one trash pump to remove the silt-laden water, but its probably going to take a few days of working at low tide to get the majority of the mud out.

The owner had a trash pump when he tried floating her earlier this year. I agree about screwing some plywood over the openings to keep the water from coming back in, and pulling on a line from the masthead to help break the suction once you get the water out and the tide comes in.

BTW, this is probably going to be a labor of love, because if your time is worth anything, your costs are going to quickly exceed the salvage value of the boat.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 18:07   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Get some ten or twenty gallon plastic containers or small barrels and fit them with the opening downward. They need a means of filling the bottom of them each with air. Fill them or partially fill them and sink them in place throughout the hull and then start filling them with air to float them while pumping out the mud.
Other folks I know used canvas bags (surplus Navy seabags) and put deflated inner tubes in them. Once placed strategically throughout the hull then start filling them with air. It is much better to get the boat floating upright so that once her gunwhales are above water you can just pump her out and float her away.
This might be urban myth but I've heard someone found a good deal on a gazillion ping pong balls and used them to float a wreck somewhere. I wouldn't count on that one.
Good luck. I think if you shop around you can find a better deal but if your heart's in it then go for it.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 18:20   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Feral Cement. s/v Distant Star WAS a nice boat. Now you'll have to tear out every single piece of wood in the boat along with any wiring, electrical and mechanical systems. All you'll have after ya gut her is a glass hull. Most everything else will be junk. However, if that prospect doesn't turn ya off, by all means, rescue that lady.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 18:38   #7

Need Recruits!

CC, everyone --

If I had a 5 figure budget, I wouldn't bother. I don't. I have a low 3 figure budget, and I'm going to need help and equipment to make this work. If you are in the Charleston area, come on by and lend a hand. If you have a trash pump or a boat you can bring to benefit this cause, so much the better. I'm planning a victory party; you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of THAT bet, now would you?

Staging will br near Limehouse Landing in Johns Island, Saturday a.m.

John
Old 23-07-2009, 19:07   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
I'm about 3,000 miles away so not much help I'm afraid. Good luck with her...

Ya do know that there are better deals that come up now and again. While I don't think anybody will beat my deal on Oh Joy ($20.00 USD) anytime soon, there are great deals to be had for the patient and persistent.

This is Oh Joy. She's 38'4" LOA and a sweet old girl. She looked pretty close to this when I got her:

Old 23-07-2009, 19:19   #9

Sweet Boat!

Did you win her in a poker game? Man, she's a beauty!

You're still not gonna fly in here and help me, are you?

How 'bout it, Low Country? Lil Help?

John
Old 23-07-2009, 19:35   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not likely. I've been outta work since March so no airline tickets in my near future.

No, a buddy of mine sent me an email about her when the PO's tried to donate her to his foundation. He didn't have the bandwidth to deal with her and knew I just got screwed out of a deal on another boat. We met, had a beer and he told me I could get her for basically nothing. After we inspected her and took her out for a test motoring, I offered the twenty bucks, they accepted. I then found out they owed about $700.00 in back moorage, told them not to sweat it and paid it for them. I mean, I just bought their dream for $20 fer heaven's sake. She came fully equipped, right down to two vacuums. So, whatever it's costing me to refit her, I'm still WAY ahead.
Old 24-07-2009, 15:03   #11

Boat Rescue is a NO-GO!

Some new photos (today) by a local guy show the boat in much worse condition and much farther in the water, so I'm not the right guy for this job. Too bad for everyone, but ya gotta know when to fold 'em.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

John (still looking for a big, cheap boat....)
Old 24-07-2009, 15:46   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Too bad

My experiance of sunken boats is limited (and I intend to keep it that way!) but the couple I have seen have been on beaches fill up with sand very quick.......I would expect mud to be the same.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 19:34   #13

Location: I live in Soutbridge, MA and Sail out of New Bedford
Boat: 82 O'day 25, Shadubie
LOL

Man....people go crazy when it comes to sailboats. For the time and money you will spend to raise this craft, I'd be willing to bet you'd find a great repairable boat on Ebay. check out boatangels.com I've seen 30+ boats sell for well under a thousand. check it out.
avril25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 07:17   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
...My experiance of sunken boats is limited (and I intend to keep it that way!) ...
Indeed - excellent policy!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
salvage