Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2016, 07:56   #16

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Saloon Ceiling Lighting LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A blue green color is supposedly best, less stressful on the eyes like Hospital gowns color. If your over 40 and presbyopia has started, then red is even worse for you as in making it harder to focus.
]
Just saw zboss post, I went to white lights on my airplane long ago and just turn down the intensity, lots easier to see the gauges in white light.
Funny how all those red marks on a chart just disappear when lit with a red light
I agree with you that in recent years red light has made focusing difficult. However, I find that blue/green light, even when turned down low, seems to affect my night vision more than a warm-white. The mult-colored LEDs seem like an ideal compromise allowing the right light for the circumstances.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 08:08   #17

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The army has recently completed testing in which they concluded that its not so much the hue of the color but the intensity. So, you are welcome to use regular warm white light but keep the intensity very low. You are best off using a warm white light at low intensity because you can distinguish colors... like you may need to on a chart... unlike if you used a red or blue light.
The military use of lighting is well researched and dates back more than 50 years. Mil-STD 1472F is the typical reference.

There is nothing new in the behaviour of the human eye. I do see numerous vendors pushing blue as better than red. I'll let the reader ponder why.

Our adaptation to red light is slightly faster than other colors. But the difference between blue, red and warm white is a second order effect.

The intensity of the light is more critical than color in avoiding loss of night vision. The key is to provide the lowest intensity light source.

Red is preferred over blue because it is harder for the enemy to detect red light over blue. Particularly on sites, optics and hand held flashlights. This is why militaries have used red rather than blue for decades.

Silhouettes and colors are hard to detect under red light. Thats why the bridge watch will often be away from any night light.

Our eyes are optimized to spot threats against a green background. It's why tvs have a pixel ratio of 1 red, 1 blue and 2 green pixels.

The best night light source is actually dimmable warm white light. It's only in the last few years we've been able to make leds that can meet this requirement.

On ships we've always avoided dimmers because they are electrically noisy.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 08:58   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That was thirty or more years ago, and it's actually more of a green than blue.
But since then there have been a few studies, first red as it is at the opposite end as you correctly state causes problems for older people (over 40) eyes to focus.
Then believe it or not there was a pretty extensive study done and the conclusion was that plain ole white light, dimmed was just as good for night adaption, and came without the issues of washing warnings out on maps etc. Example, it's common for power lines on a map to be in red as a warning, but viewed under red light, they become completely invisible.

The hospital color of green is less stressful on the eyes of any other color apparently, something our Russian brothers apparently figured out long ago, look in the cockpit of a Soviet block aircraft
With LED's I find warm white much gentler on the eyes than the bright white.

That's an interesting point about green (as paint on walls etc anyway). I was surveying a big factory in 1972 (Bristol, UK), prior to a new extension, and all the factory work area walls inside were green for this reason.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 16:08   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Has anyone found inexpensive "puck" fixtures that are 1/2" deep?

The ones I found are $50 each.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, saloon