Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2010, 07:36   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Saildrive Antifouling - Vivid vs PropSpeed

I am about to have some sort of antifouling treatment applied to my saildrives and props. I used some spray on stuff I got from West marine a couple of years ago. It stuck to the foot ok but did not stay on the SS prop. The barnicles actually seemed top prefer the painted surface more than the bare metal on the props. I had barnicles on both in less than 2 months. The boat is on the hard for its triannual bottom paint, though I might have been able to get another year on the bottom. Total of 10 barnicles on the bottom and I had not cleaned it since last June. Painted with Pettit Trinidad Pro in April of 07.

Now back to the saildrives and props. I've read a lot about Propspeed on the forum, but my guy at the boatyard recommended a treatment with Pettit Vivid hard bottom paint. They apparently have a system which uses Zinc Chromate followed by an epoxy barrier coat to protect the aluminum and finally several coats of Vivid hard bottom paint. Does anyone have any experience using this system? The guy at the yard says it works better than Propspeed for boats that sit a lot. My big cruising takeoff will be in fall of 2011, in the meantime it's one or two weekends a month and maybe two weeklong cruises a year.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling, saildrive