Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2017, 11:05   #16

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
Re: Sailboat stands!

Shipping is freight from eastern North Carolina. FedEx is only possible on smaller motor boat stands...less than 49". Even then...freight is $112 for two smallish motor boat stands.

I can find much,much lower shipping fees for some Brownell stands without the threaded rod.
Brownell says their threaded rod is 1 7/16"
ScaffoldMart says their threaded rod is 1 3/8".....which is 1.4" They also claim interchangeable parts so Brownell could be exaggerating rod size a bit.

My threaded rods are 1.335" Very good chance this size was rounded up to 1.4" by ScaffoldMart. Then pretty well lied about by Brownell.

Using my threaded rods would save plenty as it turns out. Like $70 + /stand.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 12:45   #17

Boat: Pearson 422

Google boat stands or sailboat stands and you will find a scaffold company where the owner has a sail boat and freaked when he saw the price and started making them for about half the money for brand new. I also need some for the short term 5 and we might buy together and then sell ...
I will look for the scaffold co also.
keith
Keithward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 16:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithward View Post
Google boat stands or sailboat stands and you will find a scaffold company where the owner has a sail boat and freaked when he saw the price and started making them for about half the money for brand new. I also need some for the short term 5 and we might buy together and then sell ...
I will look for the scaffold co also.
keith
You are likely referring to scaffoldmart. Sailboat stands have to be shipped freight. That is expensive for a 1800 mile trip. I was looking at $250 to have two shipped to Colorado.

There is almost no way they could be useful after working on the boat bottom one time. I'm going to buy a couple regular boat bases, with free shipping, and hope my threaded rods fit.
Old 09-07-2017, 18:04   #19

I will use three 5 ton screw jacks to support the keel. Medium sized tree trunks to support one side at a time.

Considered using house jacks. That would place a lot of pressure on a small, flat area.

This place gets powerful winds so I should have a decent sized surface area to absorb pressure if the boat is being hit broadside by ~50mph winds.

All kinds of options really.

Funny that people don't seem to sell used boat stands.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:53   #20

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Funny that people don't seem to sell used boat stands.
From my experience in the Great Lakes, people generally own a cradle/trailer, or rent boat stands from the marina. Most don't own their boat stands. I managed to source used stands from a marina, which will take two years to recover the cost, but after that, no more renting them. I have 8 stands, and no, I will not sell any of them .
Old 10-07-2017, 06:54   #21

Hi, well out here in the tropical far east most boat yards just use three inch galvanized pipe cut to close length then a nice hard wood wedge made up top and bottom, the galvanized pipe is then welded at the pipe base to opposite pipe using re bar (reinforcing steel 1/2") then cross braced from the top side down the bottom opposite side and top to top thus locking all the pipe stands into place,(needless to say this is a cheap secure way to prop your boat)

Need to post that i have seen many posts referring to the load factor of boats sitting on their stands!, to be clear the stands are there for lateral support to stop a fall in one direction or the other, the weight of the boat should never rest completely or even partially on the hull! it should be resting on the boats keel with the stands as support only, the stands should be placed/located where there are bulkheads in side the vessel or partial bulkheads as a norm,

We regularly have typhoons and yes the boats are tied down to the ground using concrete slabs to minimize any possible movement, so far in the past 30 years have not seen a failure in our local yard.
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 15:31   #22

Feeling pretty good about the three 5 ton screw jacks to support the keel. Then replaced the 64 five inch rubber wheels with 8 four by sixes thus allowing access to over 99% of the bottom.

Did not enjoy how easily the boat moved around while installing the 4"x6" blocks. Best to have two people if possible though the advantage is probably mostly psychological.

The 64 rubber wheels supplied good support but prevented me from working on quite a bit of the hull. Even with 64 rubber wheels, it is quite clear that the weight should largely be supported via the keel.

I am thinking that dry storage should be much cheaper since I will not need their support apparatus. Just a spot of dirt with security.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat