Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2024, 18:07   #76

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'
Re: Sailboat refits in Thailand

I am always surprised when people say "Well, I had bad work in xxxx country also." I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. Of course, you can have poor quality work done anywhere in the world. You can always find examples to prove your point that xxxx country has messed up a project.

The point here is not that there are lots of people who have had work done in Thailand and are unhappy with that work, the point is that there are some recurring problems with work in Thailand that people should be aware of and, depending on what you want done, should warn some people off.

During our 2-year refit, we talked to dozens of other yachties who had problems. So it isn't just our experience... it is firsthand knowledge from watching many, many projects go south.

Is every job done in Thailand bad? Of course not. But if you want quality work and a minimum of hassles and frustrations, don't go there.

In their extremely detailed report of their Thai refit, the Hackings never summed up their experience at the end of the day. Since we were there with them and spent a lot of time together, I think I can say that there summary would be the same as ours. A great deal of frustration, costs far higher than expected, and a great deal of work that had to be redone due to workers not following directions or thinking they knew better.

That said... At least the food is terrific!
Cheers,
Bruce

Tags
boat, refit, sail, sailboat, Thailand