Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2021, 20:41   #31

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Sailboat refits in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farang View Post
To illustrate my point on cost comparison here are quotes from 2018 when I was considering a paint job on my new 48’ cat.

Being in Oz at the time I considered Norsand, a top yard in NZ and a paint company in Phuket, Thailand. Things to note: the level of detail from Norsand (separate deck and topsides prices) and the higher ! cost from Satun. 3million baht is around $100k usd or $135,000 kiwi dollars. Both didn’t include yard fees. Serious money.
Norsand quote ($100k kiwi) gotta add gst but you can claim that back on exit.

In the end like so many others who can easily, but mistakenly, think Thailand is a cheap place to refit I thought nah, I can pm this myself. So I bought the paint and epoxy and sailed 5000nm to Phuket and sure I cut 50% off the labour cost, but it took twice as long (++ yard and accommodation costs) and cut years off my life in frustration. finished just before Covid hit.

Oh, and just a note on Satun., you didn’t say what year you did your refit in Satun, Semolina, but in 2018 the Thai Chinese owner had a stroke and is now incapacitated, in 2019 under new management the yard jocks dropped a 100’ goodwill schooner off the railway holing the hull and completely destroying engines, electrics, everything. Go there at your own risk.

The OP deserves the most up to date information, not biased commentary from local expat lifers or those who passed through 10 years ago.
Well Mr Farang it must have been a terrible experience for you to have turned you into such a vociferous, rabid, anti-Thailand boat work one man propaganda band. I personally think that anyone who sails 5000 miles to get a good deal on a paint job is probably going to try very hard to prove that his bad expereince is someone else's fault.

Oh wait, I know, you're just trying to do a good deed and help others avoid the same mistake, like a good Samaritan.
Old 09-12-2021, 21:43   #32

I joined CF when building my boat and have found some useful information amongst the ‘000’s of useless posts by members who sit on their CF feed trying raise their post count.

It seems though when someone posts an alternative view to theirs, the tactic is to silence them with derogatory, know-it-all-been-there-done-that quips.

Experience is worth sharing, that’s what the OP asked for and mine, good or bad, is current and documented.
So if you’ve nothing constructive to add, then go fill up another thread.
Farang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 19:56   #33

It was just a general comment but by responding clearly you identify yourself, Wingsil, as one in those posters I described, who always has to have the final say.

Thanks for the time inside your head.

I rest my case. The marine market in Phuket, and southern Thailand in general, through it’s greed has priced itself out of the market for serious refits. They make nice silk cushions though.
Old 10-12-2021, 20:20   #34

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Please note that I am not responding to your comments in posts 32 or 33, giving you the last word
Old 21-05-2022, 01:09   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheinz View Post
Farang, thank you very much for your PM. Here's what I have concluded. Thailand is not my preferred location to purchase a boat and definitely not the place I would like. I am not yet in a panic to buy a boat so will keep looking. If by March or April I haven't found something elsewhere, and this cat is still available in Phuket, I may put in a low(er) ball offer as it will then have been on the market for over a year. If successful, I would repair/replace only the essentials needed to get allow me to get to a more preferred location to do the rest of the work. I have no doubt there are good trades people in Thailand but I don't have the desire to manage and babysit the work to the degree necessary (understanding a certain amount comes with the job of having a refit done). Thanks to everyone who responded.
So Did ya buy your dream boat in Phuket? Just curious.
I’m back home now and will spend some time fixing all the mess the Thais made.
Stopped off in Penang to pickup my new engines.
Here’s my top 5 tips to minimise your refit losses in Phuket:

1. Spread your risk. Hire 2 unrelated teams and observe.
2. Sack The laziest one after a week or 2 so they all know you mean business.
3. Don’t turn your back on them for a minute. Lock up your boat at night if it’s unattended.
4. Thais freely admit they are experts at lying whilst smiling at you. They tolerate foreigners for their cash only.
5. Don’t buy anything you don’t need. Quality is poor as the Local manufacturing formulas are not the same as in the west and the price is the same if not more. Sika, Composites and acrylic for windows are good examples.
A Honda genset in Thailand is NOT the same quality as one made in Japan. Find a party tent maker or car upholsterer to sew your canvas and cushions.
6. Ok, last one... buy your new engines in Langkawi or Penang.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	028CD833-A8A0-46DC-8ADD-6E856F3C24B6.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	258104  
Old 05-06-2022, 18:22   #36

But if you’re absolutely fixed on a refit in Thailand, stick to Phuket and steer clear of the Kearns of Krabi and Satun.
Old 29-04-2023, 03:36   #37

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Hi All,
Whenever anyone asks about our 2013-2014 refit in Thailand, I always tell them that my hair was not grey before the refit. That's the truth. We would never recommend it and, as mentioned above, we should have stayed in NZ. You can read our reports here:
https://migrations.brucebalan.com/for-sailors/#Thailand
here: https://brucebalan.com/migrated/Migrations22.htm
and here: https://brucebalan.com/migrated/Migrations23.htm

That said, we love Thailand and the Thai people outside of the boatyard.
Cheers,
Bruce Balan
Old 29-04-2023, 03:58   #38

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbalan View Post
Hi All,
Whenever anyone asks about our 2013-2014 refit in Thailand, I always tell them that my hair was not grey before the refit. That's the truth. We would never recommend it and, as mentioned above, we should have stayed in NZ. You can read our reports here:

Cheers,
Bruce Balan
Just read through your reports. Pretty much the same quality of work I get in United States. Don’t come here either. Ha ha

I was surprised that some of the problems were exactly the same. Like the masking. My boat got ruined by that.

In any case, is there a section about your cruising in Japan? I’m really interested in that. One of my top destinations I’d like to make.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 04:06   #39

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Hi Chotu,

https://svmigration.com
You'll find the 2 entries about Japan on the main page. We LOVED Japan and are on our way back (though it will be some years before we re there).

Cheers,
B
Old 11-05-2023, 19:43   #40

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Hi Chotu,

https://svmigration.com
You'll find the 2 entries about Japan on the main page. We LOVED Japan and are on our way back (though it will be some years before we re there).

Cheers,
B
Hey, BB!
One important fact that you failed to mention is that it was in Phuket where we met! I have many fond memories of hanging out with you guys in your condo just down the street from where Migration was hauled out. I hope you are enjoying the cruising life, meeting new people and having fabulous adventures. Please give a big squeeze to ADR.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 21:01   #41

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Hi All,

Cheers,
Bruce Balan

I can give you similar examples in Australia
Doesn't mean the whole place is dud, just certain operators
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:24   #42

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Actually, reading through the second one I'd suggest the owners of the boat weren't hands on enough.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 16:53   #43

it used to be kids coming round the yard peddling chew leaf from woven baskets to your workers. The travelift crew at the yard I was in had their own moonshine still bubbling away down the back. Now weed is legal the ‘smoko’ break takes on a whole new meaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	960D319D-AFB3-4FA4-9490-D1784A4A5ABA.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	278147  
Old 14-07-2023, 15:10   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Yes but instead of a legit FOE, they’re rogue expats operating as a local business from the skirts of their Thai wife, exploiting local workers and not offering any additional value other than they speak your language. Caveat Emptor.
Old 14-07-2023, 20:13   #45

You’re absolutely right Farang. Same in Malaysia too, the matrimonial work permit.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, refit, sail, sailboat, Thailand