Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2008, 13:36   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Sail bag with lazy jacks...

Boracay being a big boat I have determined that I need serious sail management equipment before hoisting the mainsail.

From what I have been able to work out a mainsail cover/bag with a zipper on top combined with lazy jacks should be the most cost effective way of taming the main for me.

And I would really like to be able to do it myself, maybe using one of those expensive Sailrite machines.

Does anyone have any suggestions/comments/advice?

I would really love to find a reference to or to hear from someone who has done something similar.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 14:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You can make your own lazy jacks from some small blocks and 1/8 inch cord but price it out as the kits are not much more. The sail bag with a zipper is called a stack pack. You attach the sides to the boom and run a long zipper. Make a flap over the zipper to keep the rain out. You build the pack inside the lazy jacks.

The trick with the lazy jacks is setting the lines so as to minimize the tips of the battens fouling in the lines. Our firs boat they put the top line on a block so the jacks has a halyard on each side. Then you could lower them when needed to raise the sails. We don't have halyards now so you just practice raising the sail so you time the ends of the battens to miss the lazy jacks. It just takes a bit of practice.

If you hand flake the sail as it comes down you can train a little bit of memory to the sail making it fall quickly and neatly. We don't use a stack pack but just have a cover with 4 zippers on the side and a set of flaps with twist locks so the cover goes between the jacks (3 on each side of the boom. I like that better because the bottom is loose and lets air under the cover if the sail is wet. A well made sunbrella cover could set you back $450. That includes chafe protection and some other nice details. If you wanted to make your own the trick is to cut the slots for the lazy jacks last then add the zippers. No way can you measure right for the zippers. the last folks that made ours did it that way and they claim it works better since they don't have to remake them when things are not right.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 14:56   #3
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
I just had mine made by UK Sails...you can see it on my blog. Can't believe I waited so long to do it.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 19:13   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Boracay,
I know we've had this on the forum before and know that our search engine is not running on more than one cylinder. I'll try to find something if you promise to try too.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 20:01   #5

There was a company in Aus doing fairly cheap lazyjack/bag kits. I think they used to advertise in Trade-A-Boat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 03:27   #6

The strings and blocks are easy to set up. DO put a block under the bottom spreader so you can slacken them off. Any tarp maker will knock the bag bit up for you. Two sides with eyelets in the top to take the lazy jacks with a two sided closing flap about 75 mm lower. Use a really chunky plastic zip. If your main is loose footed then you can lace the bag onto the boom, otherwise rivet your choice of fittings.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 06:42   #7

We also had UK make a lazy cradle for us. The job went from 2 hours for two of us to put away the main to maybe 5 minutes. Our boom is 6 foot off the deck, the headboard is about 12 fooot off the deck, and the sail weighs about 250#, very tough to deal with short handed. I consider it to be the best money we spent on the boat for sail handling. Make sure you use a low stretch lazy jacks.

Further note: we are also considering horns or rails to mimic a park avenue boom. Any one using them? Likes? Dislikes?

Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 08:27   #8

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
The one thing the Doyle StackPak has that the others don't (to my knowledge) is a membrane that attaches to the sail and pak, which keeps the cover tight against the sail when it is raised.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 14:17   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Attaching to the boom...

It looks like some of the sail covers attach to the track on the boom, perhaps with slides.

Is this right/feasible?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 14:23   #10

Boat: Trismus 37
My Main is loose footed so the "stack pack" uses the groove in the boom to locate itself. I also pull the lazy jacks forward when raising the sail therefore avoiding the battens hooking behind the jacks.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 20:56   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Boracay,
This is the thread I had in mind. I've found it twice and some how my last post didn't get here.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dea-10293.html
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail bag