Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2017, 17:15   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Rust dripping from keel joint.. Should I be worried ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
He has an entire keel made of cast iron... and you think it's only the bolts? If he had that sort of corrosion he could observe his keel flaking off.

Be logical.

Ah you're a surveyor... that explains it. Have you surveyed any Contest Yachts? Have you looked at their keel bolts?
Logic should begin on your part by actually reading my post before condemning it...... show me where I said I think it's the keel bolts.
Old 27-07-2017, 17:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Logic should begin on your part by actually reading my post before condemning it...... show me where I said I think it's the keel bolts.
I said pics can be deceiving... everyone knows iron and steel rust...... the OP was concerned about the cause of his rust...

It was not the bolts... I have stripped back the fairing on a Contest and sand blasted the iron and epoxied it... sealed it and rust came back because it's impossible to reseal the top of the keel and present any moisture from getting there and causing rust.

The bolts are encapsulated inside the hull in perhaps 3/4" of glass which show no signs of rust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bilge 01.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	152852  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 17:35   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I said pics can be deceiving... everyone knows iron and steel rust...... the OP was concerned about the cause of his rust...

It was not the bolts... I have stripped back the fairing on a Contest and sand blasted the iron and epoxied it... sealed it and rust came back because it's impossible to reseal the top of the keel and present any moisture from getting there and causing rust.

The bolts are encapsulated inside the hull in perhaps 3/4" of glass which show no signs of rust.
They are covered in FRP .... of course they don't show any signs of rust !

You have absolutely no idea if they are corroded unless you remove the FRP.
Old 27-07-2017, 17:48   #19

destroy the integrity to check bolts which have never failed in a single Contest yacht... I suggest you discuss this with the naval architect Dick Zaal or Conyplex...

Stop trying to scare the guy and make unnecessary work and expense for the owner.
Old 27-07-2017, 17:49   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
destroy the integrity to check bolts which have never failed in a single Contest yacht... I suggest you discuss this with the naval architect Dick Zaal or Conyplex...
Suggest you educate yourself on Crevice Corrosion

You really believe that FRP over the bolts holds them together ?
Old 28-07-2017, 02:09   #21

I am aware of what crevice corrosion is.,. A small amount of rust appearing is not a justification to cut openings and remove the bolts and have them tested along with the keel for "crevice" corrosion.

If the bolt was corroded... the keel where is was threaded into would be as well and the connection would render the bolt to keel connection useless. New holes would have to be drilled and tapped into the keel and new bolts installed. Sure... go for it.

You are being alarmist here.
Old 28-07-2017, 03:21   #22

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

When I purchased my Contest 48, the original owner's manual was still on board. In it there is a comment from Conyplex regarding rust coming from cracks near the keel. Essentially it says that they are normal and represent no danger. It suggests that the cracks be ground and filled at a routine haul out.

We get an occasional crack around our keel and I take a Dremel tool or die grinder with a small ball-shaped bit and grind a 'key-hole' shaped groove in the crack, which I fill with epoxy. We haven't had a problem in 21 years of owning the boat and in the last 7 years we've covered over 44,000 miles. Conyplex builds a remarkably strong boat.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 03:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
When I purchased my Contest 48, the original owner's manual was still on board. In it there is a comment from Conyplex regarding rust coming from cracks near the keel. Essentially it says that they are normal and represent no danger. It suggests that the cracks be ground and filled at a routine haul out.

We get an occasional crack around our keel and I take a Dremel tool or die grinder with a small ball-shaped bit and grind a 'key-hole' shaped groove in the crack, which I fill with epoxy. We haven't had a problem in 21 years of owning the boat and in the last 7 years we've covered over 44,000 miles. Conyplex builds a remarkably strong boat.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Absolutely... I have similar experience and I discussed this issue with Dick Zaal the architect of my Contest. Mr Boatpicker is being alarmist and has no experience with this boat and how their keels are attached.... a technique they have been using for more than 55 years with no keels dropping off... since Mr Boatpicker was a youngster or maybe not even born.
Old 28-07-2017, 04:54   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Absolutely... I have similar experience and I discussed this issue with Dick Zaal the architect of my Contest. Mr Boatpicker is being alarmist and has no experience with this boat and how their keels are attached.... a technique they have been using for more than 55 years with no keels dropping off... since Mr Boatpicker was a youngster or maybe not even born.
40yr old boat in salt water with FRP covered bolts and you think it's alarmist to suggest inspection !

PS. I'm also a Ceritified Corrosion Analyst and name calling shows the strength of you argument.
Old 28-07-2017, 05:13   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
40yr old boat in salt water with FRP covered bolts and you think it's alarmist to suggest inspection !

PS. I'm also a Ceritified Corrosion Analyst and name calling shows the strength of you argument.
You're over analysing this, most iron keels of this age will show rust around the join to the hull. Once it starts there is no way to permanently stop it, slow it down with paint and silkaflex yes but eventually it will come back.

So best thing to do is fill it in, paint over it and go sailing.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 05:25   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You're over analysing this, most iron keels of this age will show rust around the join to the hull. Once it starts there is no way to permanently stop it, slow it down with paint and silkaflex yes but eventually it will come back.

So best thing to do is fill it in, paint over it and go sailing.

Pete
Best action is to go ostrich ?
Different strokes for different folks.
Old 28-07-2017, 05:31   #27

Quote:
Best action is to go ostrich ?
Different strokes for different folks.
I did my due diligence and spoke with the architect and the manufacturer... going to Holland to do this.

I suggest you tone down your alarmism. Not a single Contest iron keel has dropped off from crevice corrosion.

I am not calling names... I am telling you that you are making a mountain out of a mole hill and and should take it up with the manufacturer and stop trying to scare the OP. That's wrong.
Old 28-07-2017, 05:36   #28

Boatpocker... you're one surveyor I would never use... unless you are informed about the specific issue... and have physically inspected the keel and the bolts and know what the condition is speculation is not good.... neither is it sensible to rip the boat apart and remove and inspect 16 keel bolts.

I am not intimidated by your claim to being an expert... which is the sole basis for your suggestion for the OP to rip his boat apart.
Old 28-07-2017, 05:38   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I did my due diligence and spoke with the architect and the manufacturer... going to Holland to do this.

I suggest you tone down your alarmism. Not a single Contest iron keel has dropped off from crevice corrosion.

I am not calling names... I am telling you that you are making a mountain out of a mole hill and and should take it up with the manufacturer and stop trying to scare the OP. That's wrong.
Keeping your head in the sand and denying the possibility of corrosion on a 40yr old salt water boat and then counselling to not even bother to inspect the keel bolts is irresponsible.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think .... You win. I give up.
Old 28-07-2017, 07:49   #30

I am done with this topic... and certainly not irresponsible... the OP can do what he thinks is appropriate...

Tags
keel