Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2018, 01:39   #1

Boat: Roberts Ketch 38ft
Rust!

Hey guys, I took my boat out of the water a year ago and started to work on the hull below the waterline. In places I got all the way back to bare steel. Then... I went home for a month, leaving the crew to continue, THEN we got offered a job delivering a boat from Fiji to south Korea... so in short, the bare steel was left bare and has now developed a dusting of rust... what would you do? The Marina doesn't want me to grind due to dust... I'm looking into acids and rust convertors. Thanks!
Tomon4winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 01:55   #2

Re: Rust!

abrasive tool with a dust extractor? perhaps connected to a wetndry vacuum? Something like this, perhaps?

https://www.topline.ie/tools-hardwar...lm-sander-220v

I wouldn't use acid or rust converter on a hull. I'd physically abrade back to bare metal.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 02:06   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Not surprised the marina doesn't want you to grind it off. I would go pear shaped if my boat was next door. Little bits of steel on a GRP deck are a nightmare to get off. I don't even cut or grind stainless on board.

First you need to decide what level of finish you require, normally decided by the paint scheme you decide to apply. this will give you the finish you need on the steel. Then see if the marina will allow professional slurry blasting to this standard.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 02:26   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Well worth getting -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-boat-.../dp/B0070QRME4
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 04:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
abrasive tool with a dust extractor? perhaps connected to a wetndry vacuum? Something like this, perhaps?

https://www.topline.ie/tools-hardwar...lm-sander-220v

I wouldn't use acid or rust converter on a hull. I'd physically abrade back to bare metal.
Yeah that's what I want... maybe I can rent one... I'm poor and it's hard to find stuff in Korea! Thanks [emoji6]
Old 21-06-2018, 04:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Not surprised the marina doesn't want you to grind it off. I would go pear shaped if my boat was next door. Little bits of steel on a GRP deck are a nightmare to get off. I don't even cut or grind stainless on board.

First you need to decide what level of finish you require, normally decided by the paint scheme you decide to apply. this will give you the finish you need on the steel. Then see if the marina will allow professional slurry blasting to this standard.

Pete
What's slurry blasting? Sounds like a wet sand blast?
Old 21-06-2018, 04:23   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomon4winds View Post
What's slurry blasting? Sounds like a wet sand blast?

Yep, that’s it in a nutshell.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 23:26   #8

If it’s just surface rust it can be removed chemically with many acids, phosphoric being the better choice, as it leaves a coat of iron phosphate which helps prevent future rusting. Even vinegar and elbow grease will work.

There are also plenty of commercial rust remover products that brush on wait hose off...
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 00:18   #9

I have a rust converter that is very watery and contains phosphoric acid, I'm just dubious as to whether it will stay dead! I'm going to try to get it all back to bare steel, otherwise I guess that's my option...