Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 05:09   #1

Boat: Orca 38
Rudder work

I found the rudder on my ingrid to be hollow when she was hauled last fall. The rudder was filled with water through a small hole caused by a prop strike to it during sea trials.

Water has been drained and rudder has been drying out for 3 months.

Now, I'm planning on pouring urathane foam into the rudder in "lifts". The lifts should be shallow enough to help prevent damage to the rudder due to expansion. I'll drill a series of holes at 2' intervals to pour the foam.

I think I have this figured out for the most part. The boat yard debate going on is whether any weight needs to be added. If so, is it just need in the bottom of the rudder?

I don't believe it's necessary at all.

Any and all advice from builders or other knowlgeable individuals would be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning on using the U.S. Composites 8lb foam.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:22   #2

Boat: Sunbeam 44 cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
I found the rudder on my ingrid to be hollow when she was hauled last fall. The rudder was filled with water through a small hole caused by a prop strike to it during sea trials.

Water has been drained and rudder has been drying out for 3 months.

Now, I'm planning on pouring urathane foam into the rudder in "lifts". The lifts should be shallow enough to help prevent damage to the rudder due to expansion. I'll drill a series of holes at 2' intervals to pour the foam.

I think I have this figured out for the most part. The boat yard debate going on is whether any weight needs to be added. If so, is it just need in the bottom of the rudder?

I don't believe it's necessary at all.

Any and all advice from builders or other knowlgeable individuals would be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning on using the U.S. Composites 8lb foam.
My rudder also has a small holeand fills with water. I talked with the builders and wastold that it was intentipnal in the build out. They used high grade steel for the rudder stock and heavily reinforced glass laminates. They said that as long as foam was not introduced there would be no problem. It appears that foam expands and contracts at a greater rate than laminate as well as promoting rot if the rudder stock is not solidly imbedded into the blade. It maybe worth your while to open up the blade to inspect fo delamination, like the bavaria 50 of this years ARC. As far as weight is concerned, i have no idea!
Quirocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:36   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Rudder work

Definitely no weight needed. Didn't have weight there as originally designed did it?
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 19:00   #4

Boat: Orca 38
Re: Rudder work

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Definitely no weight needed. Didn't have weight there as originally designed did it?
You're correct, it did not.

Tags
rudder