Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 11:31   #1

Rudder question- what is this crack?

Hello everyone

I'm looking at my rudder where it passes through the hull and see a crack, but I'm not sure if this is a split in the rudder bearing that is supposed to be there?

I'm not completely familiar with the construction, it is a simple spade rudder to a tiller. Where it leaves the hull I see the shaft attached to the rudder blade, and this piece which just sticks out from the hull a half inch or so. (Wrapping around the shaft). Is this the rudder bearing? The shaft itself is not cracked, but this piece has a 90 degree split in it.

This crack flexes when I try to wiggle the rudder, but the rudder doesn't seem to have much play. Is this normal, or is this crack something that needs to be fixed?

Thanks very much for the advice!
Michael
Michaelswanbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:36   #2

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: Rudder question- what is this crack?

Definitely needs repair.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:41   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Rudder question- what is this crack?

A picture would be great and also the make of the boat.

Even w/o seeing it would say if you can see the crack flex when you wiggle it it's doing more while sailing. So, yes agree it needs repair.

Are the manufacturers of your boat still in business? If so, give them a call as they would have a better idea how it was built and possible solutions.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder