Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 10:45   #1

Boat: Bristol 29
Rudder needed for Bristol 29/Bristol 30

I'm looking for a rudder for a Bristol 29. I believe the Bristol 30 is the same hull. Does anyone know of a scrap boat that might sell it's rudder?

I know it's a long shot, but there once were 350 of them around...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SunAndMoon2013.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	72045   Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenRudder.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	72046  

Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 20:40   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Re: Rudder needed for Bristol 29/Bristol 30

Not used, but you might look at asking Foss Foam for a quote.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 05:21   #3

Foss Foam needs a rudder to make a mold of. Mine is half gone, so they can't help. Currently making a temporary rudder and looking for a salvage rudder as a permanent replacement.
Old 19-12-2013, 08:05   #4

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Where is your boat located?
Old 19-12-2013, 12:48   #5

Boat: Bristol 32
I gotta ask; what the hell happened?
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 18:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Where is your boat located?
Boat is in Florida - Fort Pierce now. Green Cove Springs soon. I have made a temporary rudder that I think will work for motoring. My biggest concern is less control in currents. Do you know of a rudder that might be available? If so, I can work on figuring out shipping.
Old 19-12-2013, 18:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebristol View Post
I gotta ask; what the hell happened?
I drifted onto a shoal. My bad - talking to marina and not paying enough attention to where I was drifting. Called Towboat US from Ft Pierce who is based about 1 mile away. They arrived about 45 mins later.

Told towboat operator I had drifted down from the north. First he tried to pull me west. Boat pulled easily through mud. After a few minutes he started pulling me north and almost immediately the boat started floating. Towboat said to follow him, so I followed him under tow. Rudder operated correctly and I was able to follow behind towboat.

Towboat turned to north-east and pulled me across several mud bars.

Towboat next said he was pulling south. It was dark by now, so I don't know which direction he actually went. Again he pulled me across several mud bars with the boat floating between each.

Towboat said he was trying east. Again we went across several mud bars. At one point the boat was almost out of the water and laying on its side. The boat floated after each time it crossed a bar.

Towboat eventually said tide was falling and he was quitting. He just untied his line and left. He left boat grounded on a bar, rocking back and forth from front to back with waves. I deployed an anchor and 25 or so feet of chain.

Towboat returned at 5:20 am and pulled northwest. Boat came right off and did not ground again. It was clear during tow that rudder did not work - boat only turned to starboard. Towboat towed me to marina and I tied to pier.

Damage to boat is a broken rudder, minor damage to hull where broken rudder stub gouged hull, and minor scrapes to the bottom of the keel. The rudder is bent to to the port side, indicating the damage was caused when the boat was towed across a mud bar on its starboard side.

In my opinion, Towboat made several mistakes which resulted in damage to my boat.

1) Operator did not have a map of the shoals in the area, which is readily available on Google Earth. On day 2 when he had the map he pulled me directly to deep water without incident.

2) Operator failed to use his depth sounder to chart an exit from the shoal area.

3) Operator repeatedly dragged me from deep water onto shoals. Operator grounded me more than 10 times. Some of these groundings were in extremely shallow water with the boat laying on its side. One grounding I estimate the water depth to be 19 inches, based on the water coming up to the edge of the sink which is 18.5 inches from the edge of the hull and another .5 inches for hull thinkness. After each of these groundings he pulled me into water deep enough to float my boat.

4) Operator failed to use the information his depth sounder gave him to avoid dragging my boat onto very shallow shoals.

5) Operator failed to use a strategy appropriate to prevent damage to the the rudder of this boat. The design on this boat is well documented. In my opinion, his strategy of simply dragging the boat repeatedly across shoals is inappropriate for any sailboat.

6) Operator towed me west, northeast, south, and east before finally trying the correct northwest direction on day 2.

7) Operator failed to secure my boat when he quit for the night.
He simply untied from my boat and drove away, leaving my boat grounded out and rocking back and forth with every wave. It would have been much safer and less damaging to leave the boat floating. This repeated rocking from front to back may well have been the action that dislodged the rudder from its mount.

I could have stayed where I was originally and waited for the tide to float me off without damage, or I could have heeled he boat over and lifted the keel off the bottom. Instead I called TowboatUS for professional assistance. In my opinion, Towboat failed to exercise professional responsibility.
Old 19-12-2013, 18:47   #8

Boat: Bristol 32
what a horror story! Bristols are so tough, i couldn't figure out what could have damaged it that badly. I hope you get compensated for such poor service. Best of luck to you.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 18:56   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

You might try Torresen Marine in Muskegon Michigan. There are a lot of salvage components in their sheds. Also, WOlf's Marine in St Joe Michigan.

Other than that, start a google search on marinas by area and E-mail or call.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 19:13   #10

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

You might try one of the Yahoo or Google groups. There are active forums on both.

Good luck and kudos for not throttling the idiot towboat operator. I'd probably be in jail after the third.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 19:47   #11

Quote:
In my opinion, Towboat failed to exercise professional responsibility.
No kidding! Looks like a perfect legal case to me. I usually do not believe in taking legal actions but in cases like this one the towboat operator needs to be brought to justice.
Triton106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 21:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton106 View Post
No kidding! Looks like a perfect legal case to me. I usually do not believe in taking legal actions but in cases like this one the towboat operator needs to be brought to justice.
Though legal action isn't usually my preference, that's what I'm looking at. So far, Towboat US of Ft Pierce isn't offering any compensation.
Old 19-12-2013, 21:42   #13

I have a fiberglass rudder from a Pearson Triton (28'-6") that is in very good condition and dry. If you would like more info, please let me know. I am outside of Charleston, SC and can ship to you as needed.

Glenn
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 18:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
I have a fiberglass rudder from a Pearson Triton (28'-6") that is in very good condition and dry. If you would like more info, please let me know. I am outside of Charleston, SC and can ship to you as needed.

Glenn
Thanks, but I think adapting that to a Bristol 29might b e more trouble than building a new one. Have re-launched with a temporary rudder. Still looking for a ruder off a junk bristol 29 or 30. Otherwise will build new one. I'll post more details when I have a real internet connection
Old 21-12-2013, 18:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
might be more trouble than building a new one
I think you are right...;-) Have you seen this site?: Bristol 29 bottom job
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder