Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2019, 17:06   #16

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Rudder check

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
A set of bearings from Catalina is close to $1,000.
Machined to specification from a variety of plastics here in Mexico is about $200, with 2 day turn around.

wingssail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 17:06   #17

We have had the same issue with corrosion in this area of the rudder post (you can barely see it in this photo, but it is the only one I can find).

Originally, our rudder post had the same nylon bearing, but we have recently replaced both the upper and lower bearings inside to allow stable and non-binding movement without the need for the plastic ring. As you know, stainless steel is only 'stainless' in the presence of oxygen; when starved of oxygen, rust forms (corrosion occurs). As others have mentioned in regards to adequate water flowing past this area, we believe the plastic bearing prevented adequate exposure to the necessary oxygen.

Admittedly, we also messed up on several occasions by allowing the copper-laden bottom paint to reach this part of the rudder post - again, interfering with the needed oxygen exposure and also setting up bi-metal corrosion. Now we are super-careful to keep the antifoul off the rudder post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	171028 - Rudder Lower Bearing pre-refit 2 (2018_06_14 14_58_47 UTC).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	200523  

Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 17:07   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Machined to specification from a variety of plastics here in Mexico is about $200, with 2 day turn around.
I'm on the way, plan is to be there next year. Heading to Panama from here.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 17:10   #19

What does the washer even do? I can not see what its purpose is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Skies View Post
We have had the same issue with corrosion in this area of the rudder post (you can barely see it in this photo, but it is the only one I can find).

Originally, our rudder post had the same nylon bearing, but we have recently replaced both the upper and lower bearings inside to allow stable and non-binding movement without the need for the plastic ring. As you know, stainless steel is only 'stainless' in the presence of oxygen; when starved of oxygen, rust forms (corrosion occurs). As others have mentioned in regards to adequate water flowing past this area, we believe the plastic bearing prevented adequate exposure to the necessary oxygen.

Admittedly, we also messed up on several occasions by allowing the copper-laden bottom paint to reach this part of the rudder post - again, interfering with the needed oxygen exposure and also setting up bi-metal corrosion. Now we are super-careful to keep the antifoul off the rudder post.
Old 24-09-2019, 17:16   #20

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

The washer keeps the rudder from flying up into the hull if the boat pitches hard.

Some boats have a flanged bearing and some have a plain bearing and washer. Some have both. Ask the engineer. Seemed like a good idea at the time. ��
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 17:20   #21

Ok,I suppose the rudder could possibly move up, obvious really, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
The washer keeps the rudder from flying up into the hull if the boat pitches hard.

Some boats have a flanged bearing and some have a plain bearing and washer. Some have both. Ask the engineer. Seemed like a good idea at the time. ��
Old 24-09-2019, 18:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
How many pull their rudders to have a look?

I'm on the hard in Trinidad, there was a little slop in the rudder bearings, not huge but abit. I've got quite few miles to go to get home so I thought I'd change them.

I was surprised to find quite abit of what looks like crevice corrosion on the rudder post, just above where it enters the rudder.

This area sits directly under what Catalina calls a thrust bearing, just a plastic ring that has no load on it, it just sits between the lower rudder bearing and the rudder.
Prudent of you to have checked! I pull our rudders frequently, to lubricate the shafts. On our boat its easy, the boat can be afloat.

With composite shafts, our rudders are bouyant, so I've fitted a couple of acetal thrust washers where the shaft enters the hull. Maybe your rudder is slightly bouyant, which would necessitate the thrust washer?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 04:41   #23

Hi 44, your right. I was thinking about this last night and I believe the rudder is buoyant. Its a large rudder (2.8m) total length and theres alot of foam in it. Even with the 4 inch diameter SS shaft it would still be buoyant. When I Iifted it the other day buoyancy didn't cross my mind, its bloody heavy.

I think rudder failures may occur more than we realise.

Two boats crossing the Atlantic at similar times to me this year lost their rudders. One was a friend on an older 57 lagoon , no problem as he has two ( hes lost two over the last 10 years) he flew a rudder in to St Helena.

Also a mono lost theres , not sure of make as I dont know them, they used a drogue to get to port.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Prudent of you to have checked! I pull our rudders frequently, to lubricate the shafts. On our boat its easy, the boat can be afloat.

With composite shafts, our rudders are bouyant, so I've fitted a couple of acetal thrust washers where the shaft enters the hull. Maybe your rudder is slightly bouyant, which would necessitate the thrust washer?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:29   #24

I now have the new rudder in and are ready to splash.

I dont have a definitive answer to what caused this corrosion. The boat sat in marina for a decade plus prior to me purchasing her, maybe this has something to do with it?

I'd like to throw a couple if questions out there, I'm no genius in this area.

First of all if I had a stray current leakage wouldn't this result in faster anode deterioration? My anodes last easy a year.

Second question, the rudder shaft isnt protected by any anode, all other underwater parts are, shaft, maxprop and SS P bracket (strut). The rudder come from factory this way.

I could run a wire from the shaft inside the locker to the bolts of the SS P bracket which has two anodes on it, is this something to consider?

All thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Dale.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:42   #25

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Dale,

Are you sure there is no connection from your quadrant to the main grounds?

If you walk around and look, you will find some rudders with zincs. It always seemed random to me. Roxy has a ground cable from the quadrants.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Dale,

Are you sure there is no connection from your quadrant to the main grounds?

If you walk around and look, you will find some rudders with zincs. It always seemed random to me. Roxy has a ground cable from the quadrants.
I'm sure, and I know it's from factory this way, I've rung Catalina. They assure me this is quite normal.

Yes, I do notice a number of boats have a anode attached to the rudder.

Tags
rudder