Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2008, 13:56   #1

Boat: 30ft-Acen
rudder bearing question

ok, the rudder bearings are on there last legs. now i have no clue in the world how the bearing work, and my matnance book hase nothing about it.

what i want to do is get the berrings out, or get to them so i can get a part# or a something so that i can order new ones.

whare can i finde the info on doing this. it is the holladays and i now have time to mess with this project, or add it to my list of things to do when i get pulld outa the watter some time this year.
ShadowRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 14:29   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRWolf View Post
ok, the rudder bearings are on there last legs. now i have no clue in the world how the bearing work, and my matnance book hase nothing about it.

what i want to do is get the berrings out, or get to them so i can get a part# or a something so that i can order new ones.

whare can i finde the info on doing this. it is the holladays and i now have time to mess with this project, or add it to my list of things to do when i get pulld outa the watter some time this year.
Shadow, I believe there is a wide variety of bearing types. If you will be more specific, perhaps one of the members with the same boat can help you.

My bearings (cat) are made of Delrin (like nylon) and there are two. The bottom one fits in a hollowed-out area in the tube that encloses the rudder post. The bottom one has to be removed after the rudder post is removed. Good luck.
Old 22-12-2008, 11:22   #3

and theres the problom my boats a 1 off racing hull. i would have done the look up if it was a common builder.
Old 22-12-2008, 12:00   #4

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRWolf View Post
and theres the problom my boats a 1 off racing hull. i would have done the look up if it was a common builder.
Do a Google search and take a look at the Harken bearings and the Jeffa bearings (http://www.pyiinc.com). Depending on the age, you might have a pair of these installed on a go fast boat. Replacing them is expensive and needs to be done with some experience or study. If the races are in good shape, the bearings can be cleaned and any bad ones replaced.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 12:33   #5

SRwolf you say you have a racing hull so you probably have a spade rudder,the easiest kind to remove.Drop it out and look in the hole.There is your bearing.It will be a plain bearing.If you can,measure it before you extract it in case it is bonded in and gets seriously damaged.You have to find someone to make a new one.You dont expect to buy one off the shelf do you?Metal bearings can be good.Be aware that even nylon can swell a little in seawater so if you go with plastic dont make it too tight.Also,consider if your worn bearing can be repaired.Can you make your own bearing using epoxy?
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 13:10   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Check first (maybe with a shipwright) as the bottom bearing may be a copper bracelet type baring. Then all you have to do is cut some of the section that has now closed up. You will get years more out of it and no expense on the new (expensive ) part.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 13:29   #7
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Spade hung, bottom bearing? My bottom bearing has slop. I was contemplating having a machine shop fab a bronze insert,my boat was a production boat but im about sure theres not anything off the shelf for it.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 23:05   #8

well proble is im in guam, the local shp yars (thers 2) are lazy as hell and i would NEVER EVER trust them, ive seen them six things with duck tape and charge $200....
Old 22-12-2008, 23:16   #9

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Dont know what you have but mine are for an 1 1/8" shaft and they have a number stamped on the bearing ...check yours over real well when you get them out you might be suprized to find them a readily available off the shelf bearing...Even one off builders like ready made stuff if they can find something thats serves the purpose.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 14:55   #10
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
another respondent mentioned epoxy , for a less than permanent fix ive done this. Wax the shaft and rough up the bearing surface then install and pack with jb weld where slop is, it fills the slop and leaves with near zero tolerance.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 00:49   #11

Boat: Shuji Watanabe designed, 1973 Half tonner- Johnnie Brooke
machining bearings.

Shadow,

I'm sure you found my introduction post in your thread on pulling your engine.

I'm a machinist....I will make bearings (bushings) for you. Easy for a machinist to do, we're just supposed to tell you it's difficult and charge accordingly ;-). Give me a call, (671)678-3864.
I'll help you with the rudder also.
I'm looking for a boat, in the mean time, I like working on them. I'd be glad to help you out....I'd like the experience of the engine pull and the rudder work.
isn't the internet cool?

Take care,
Mitch
SinglerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 03:58   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinglerM View Post
Shadow,
...I will make bearings (bushings) for you...
...isn't the internet cool?
Take care,
Mitch
It certainly is!
Who’d of thought, that a cruiser in Guam, would find a willing and specifically qualified benefactor, also in Guam?

BTW: Greetings and welcome aboard, Mitch. Just joined, and already you're already making a very positive contribution. Thanks!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 12:01   #13

Thanks Gord,

I'm glad I can help someone out. Since I've been looking around for a boat, other sailors have been very helpful and quick to offer advice.
My kind of people.
I'm happy to be able to help someone else out.

See you around...

Mitch
Old 04-04-2009, 22:43   #14

I'm just bumping this for for Shadow.

I still haven't heard from him. I left a PM as well, but he may not have email access at the moment.

-Mitch
Old 28-04-2009, 02:23   #15

It's funny how things work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
It certainly is!
Who’d of thought, that a cruiser in Guam, would find a willing and specifically qualified benefactor, also in Guam?

BTW: Greetings and welcome aboard, Mitch. Just joined, and already you're already making a very positive contribution. Thanks!
Hi Gord,

I got in touch with Shadow. It turns out that he is selling his boat. So...I'm buying it from him.
I'll end up making the rudder bushings after all.
I'm sure I'll be posting a few more questions on the forum soon.

I was out looking for sailboats anyway, this ended up working out great for me.

Take care,
Mitch

Tags
rudder