Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2016, 13:57   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Rubber window seals?

These are my former portlights with the rubber "H" gaskets,-

This is the 1" thick hull opening for my portlights,-

These are my portlights that are larger than the oenings and adhered with the 3M VHB tape,-

p://s305.photobucket.com/user/CaptForce/media/Aythya%20Projects/Acrylic%20portlights%20port%20side_zpsnfs8g5sg.jpg .html][/URL]
Old 13-05-2016, 20:19   #17

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

I'll post photos after the survey. I thought I took photos, but apparently I can't operate a cell phone camera. I'm going to need to get better at that if I'm going to make my friends and family jealous with my photos of the beach!

Hudson Force, your boat is gorgeous. I really do like the idea of the polymer windows, sealed by adhesive. How do you handle hot weather? Once of the things that I'm a bit worried about, is with only two hatches, and then just the pilot house doors and the stern door, ventilation may well be lacking in the tropics.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 04:35   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
I'll post photos after the survey. I thought I took photos, but apparently I can't operate a cell phone camera. I'm going to need to get better at that if I'm going to make my friends and family jealous with my photos of the beach!

Hudson Force, your boat is gorgeous. I really do like the idea of the polymer windows, sealed by adhesive. How do you handle hot weather? Once of the things that I'm a bit worried about, is with only two hatches, and then just the pilot house doors and the stern door, ventilation may well be lacking in the tropics.
Sometimes my shoal draft will allow me to anchor out of the current and remain facing into the wind for a cooling breeze. I do attach a wind catching funnel over my forward hatch and I use some shade covers over the foredeck. Dry sheets are cooler, so we never allow salt below! All swimsuits and towels and skin exposed to saltwater remain above unless fresh water rinsed. We are adapted to sleeping without cloth coverings.

......and ...... ok, I'll confess. - sometimes we'll run our generator and AC for a couple hours at sunset to cool things from the day's heat!

Tags
seals, wind