Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 19:43   #1

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Rotten drain lines .... could have been a disaster!

My 1984 Endeavour 40 recently developed a leaking fuel tank. Since the tank is located in the keel, underneath the engine and generator, the generator as well as the platform it was sitting on and the old tank had to be removed before installing the new tank. Once everthing was out, I could actually walk around in the keel.

My Endeavour 40 also has 4 scuppers in the center cockpit with 1 1/2 in. wire reinforced drain line hose (each about 5ft long) which run down to the hull on either side of the keel and generator to seacocks. While getting everything ready for the new fuel tank, I discovered that the bottom 8 or 10 in. of these hoses were rotten. So rotten, in fact, that one fell apart in my hands while removing it for replacement. I'm not sure why only the bottom 8 to 10 in. were rotten (although that is approximately the part of the hose that is below the waterline and also near the generator's heat exchanger on one side and it's exhaust hose on the other). With the generator and everything else installed the seacocks are very inaccessable and the hoses are dificult to inspect. Easy to check the top of the hose and say to yourself, "Man these hoses look just like new!"

While I'm not very happy with the expense and trouble of replacing the fuel tank, I feel certain that the resulting close inspection of the hoses (and their replacement) while replacing the tank saved my boat and/or more!

I suggest that anyone with a similar cockpit drain system inspect the hoses for rot or damage.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 19:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
If there was any chance the bottom of those hoses sat in Diesel or oil floating in the bilge, then that can destroy some hoses quickly. If there is ever a chance, make sure you replace the lines with oil resistant hose.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote