Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2003, 21:19   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
ROM winches

Has anyone ever seen this brand of winches? Or, knows who sells them? Where can I get parts if I need some?

I have 8 of these winches varying from a #32 to #22. They seem to be a pretty good winch for being 23 years old. They are Japanese. I've tried japanese web sites but they seem to follow thier own languge. So I got nowhere.
I seem to be having a lot of fun trying to find old parts for this boat. First the T-track/toerail combo, now these winches. The winches are in good shape but if I ever want to buy parts I'll need to know where.

To replace all these winches would cost $8-10,000 depending on the make. And if I upgrade to a selftailing it woud be even more.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2003, 14:17   #2

Boat: Formosa Georgian Mk IV 62' Dolce Vita
Which parts do you need?
Old 13-10-2003, 20:19   #3

I don't just yet! I haven't had them apart because they are working so well. I'd just like to know where to get them if needed.
I haven't opened that can of worms yet.
Old 15-12-2003, 11:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
suggestions

Hi, firstly for the Japanese site, or any forign langauge, there are a lot of translation engines available on the web, that should translate the sites for you.
Secondly, is ROM actually stamped on the winch? This picture looks very similar to a Ronstan. Could be worth a search in that direction.
Regards,
Wheels

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2003, 15:22   #5

Winches

Hi Alan,
Welcome aboard!

I wasn't aware that Ronstan manufactured winches, but I'll give it a search.

Yes, ROM is stamped into the retaining ring on top of the winches. These winches are not constructed like the US or Oz winches. But they are very well built. I took one apart just recently and they look like most other winches inside. I've spent a lot of time on the web including some Japanese sites but was unable to come up with any winches.
They've been on this vessel for 23 years and are still in good shape, considering. The down fall is that they are aluminum and painted with a hard paint that is now peeling off in some places. I plan to strip the paint and have them hard anodized if I can find the manufacture.
The largest two of them are 16:1 ratio and would cost over $1000 each just to get an equivalent replacement.

Thanks for your reply!
..............................................._/)
Old 16-12-2003, 07:29   #6

Winches

The good news is that winches are ruggedly built and don't often require parts. The only thing I can think of you might need are pawls and springs - you might be able to modify Lewmar parts. By the way, my Lewmar winches are that old as well, and Lewmar doesn't carry parts anymore either (I can use other Lewmar pawls and springs), so don't feel too bad.

Your winches look identical to my Lewmars. It's possible that these are Japanese knockoffs of Lewmars - parts may be interchangable.

Winches are not too complex (though my 3-speeds are pretty packed with stuff), so I'd suggest taking the drum off and looking at them. Just remove the ring and pull off the drum, making sure no pawls fall out.

Incidentally, you can get used non-self-tailing winches pretty cheap - I've seen a set of two Lewmar 55's like I have on my boat for $1200.

What kind of boat do you have that has Japanese stuff - Yamaha?
Old 22-12-2003, 21:58   #7

G'Day Delmarrey I was in Sydney last week and I went out to the Arco winch factory and bought a brand spanking arco st 30 for $650 Aud inc 10%gst about $450 USd they also had a great range of 2nd hand winches please find attached the web address.
Shane
http://www.arco-winches.com/
troppoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2003, 09:16   #8

Thanks Shane,
I was talking to Brono at Arco just the other day. Had to order a part for one of my Barient winches.
I'd like to up grade to selftailing winches some day so my eyes will be on the Aussie winches as well. I've been keeping my eye on some of the Cats produced down there as well.

Del.........................._/)