Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2014, 16:03   #1

Roller furling conversion on an old boat

I plan on keeping this 25 hunter sloop two years tops. Is it worth the conversion to a furler vs the hank on? The conversion is about 1800. I use it as a trainer and day sailer with a few nights aboard. Thanks in advance.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	88841  
Southerncowboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 18:06   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Roller furling conversion on an old boat

How much you pay for the boat? to me no, its not worth the furler, add the weight , line to the cockpit , etc... but is just my opinión, with a furler you say good bye to sail bag in the deck and with the furler the option to reef the jib in fresh air... good luck.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 18:16   #3

I paid under 6k for the boat. A new main sail is roughly a grand. It was just hauled out and with a coat of bottom paint added. The outboard is new. I will probably just stick with the hank on.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Southerncowboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 19:10   #4

Boat: Newport 28

The advantage, is that it'll add a little more to the resale later, however it probably won't be enough to recoup the cost. But if the difference between the two is worth 2 years of investment, perhaps. At the same time, if you use it as a trainer, I'd almost say that it would be worth keeping it hank on and simplistic, so that anyone learning, is learning that way as well. I guess I fall in the group that figure that if you learn everything "old school" and can do well, then there's no surprises later. Sure someone can then go get a furler on their own next boat and be fine, but at least they'd have the hank experience.
Old 28-09-2014, 13:18   #5

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

It all depends on how much you value performance and what is 'typical weather' for your area. While you can run down wind in heavy weather with a furled sail the difference between hanked and furled sails upwind is a lot more. On a small boat in areas which commonly get winds of 20kn+ the inability to point effectively and with enough drive to punch a sea can be a considerable drawback. Hanked sails will do that, furled sails generally don't. Of course to make use of the advantage of hanked sails you need more than one. Personally I would get a second hand flat cut faily heavy jib, learn the deck work needed and experience the difference before committing to the furler. You can often get perfectly serviceable hanked sails, particularly heavy weather ones quite cheaply secondhand.
Whatever anyone says the real difference between the systems is simple convienience and ease of handling but you do pay a significant performance penalty whic is why you will never see a race boat with a half furled jib.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 14:37   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I like furlers when the sail is made for it - foam luff, etc. Contrary to what one sometimes can hear, furled sails can be used % furled-in, when they are cut right.

But if you have a daysailer in a relatively stable area, you can stay with hanks for ever and never want a furler in the first place.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 15:36   #7

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

[QUOTE=barnakiel;1640000]I like furlers when the sail is made for it - foam luff, etc. Contrary to what one sometimes can hear, furled sails can be used % furled-in, when they are cut right.

Absolutely, no question that they work. My point was that they can never be as efficient because the cut has to be a compromise over a greater wind range and due to turbulence behind the rolled section.
My main point was to recommend trying it so that you have actual experience of the difference before deciding which way to go.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 16:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerncowboyz View Post
Is it worth the conversion to a furler vs the hank on? The conversion is about 1800.
Divide cost by number of uses in two years. If (18) then $100 if (36) then $50 and so forth. Is it worth it?

Back in the day folks would attach a line to the head of the jib and lead this line down to the tack where there was a block attached that turned the line back to the cockpit, or wherever the jib halyard was located.

In so doing they could pull the jib down to the deck and keep it their as desired, effectually achieving a similar result as a roller furler from the functional standpoint of reducing sail. They then had to either suffer the labor of folding the sail or else leave it, as some did, in a purpose-made sail bag on deck.

Of course it's nice to just roll the ****er up and be done with it. That said, personally I would spend the money on new sails or safety equipment. As has been pointed out, from an aerodynamic standpoint furling sails are necessarily compromised.

You won't get your money back in two years when you sell the boat for something bigger so don't try to justify it as value adding enhancement. Maybe justifiable on a bigger boat, but on a bigger boat it would be more expensive.

One thing I know about hanks, they NEVER fail!

Congrats on the boat! Hope you are having fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	203 w sail bag.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	88924   Click image for larger version

Name:	103841_1_zoom.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	88925  

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 18:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Absolutely, no question that they work. My point was that they can never be as efficient because the cut has to be a compromise over a greater wind range and due to turbulence behind the rolled section.
My main point was to recommend trying it so that you have actual experience of the difference before deciding which way to go.
But they can be rolled to any size.

How many different hanked jibs do you carry at any given time???

Most cruising boats have only one jib and so you are ALWAYS better off when it is on a furler.

I think efficiency thing is better left to racers. A cruiser will look at benefits first, efficiency second.

b.
Old 28-09-2014, 18:17   #10

@ roland

Hey. It sounds like I am bashing your view but as I am reading your post and mine it is clear we are actually meaning the same thing.

I am an old, horrible thing with few teeth left.

;-)

Cheers,
b.
Old 28-09-2014, 18:26   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Its more than the cost of the furler because you need to cut the bolt rope off the sail and put on a guide line. Its more than 30% of the value of your boat so I would say no.

Also, though I love furlers, if its a training boat for you theres nothing wrong with learning how to clip fast and furious at sea at night in a storm... I think theres still blood oozing from my fingers from when I was a lad on offshore boats racing.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 18:28   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am an old, horrible thing with few teeth left.

;-)

Cheers,
b.
Photo please, Barny!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 05:28   #13

My boat came with a "Harken Small Boat Furler." Rather than installing the luff wire inside the jib, as described in the instruction manual, the sail hanks onto the rotating forestay. I expect it may add wear to the luff of the jib but I haven't had any problems with it. It's not intended for reefing though.

At less than 1/3 the price it might be worth considering.
BudGates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, roller furling