Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 15:29   #1

Boat: Ted Brewer, One off, 36' sloop
Rigging turnbuckle lubrication

Can someone recommend a good grease to use for stainless steel turnbuckles for stays and shrouds?
thaisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 15:54   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Rigging turnbuckle lubrication

Lanolin
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 16:25   #3

Boat: Ted Brewer, One off, 36' sloop

Any idea where I can find Lanolin in Thailand?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
thaisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 19:52   #4

I used to get lanolin from the local pharmecist, but lanolin is not really a lubricant. It is great in that it doesnt disolve in water, but is not good at lubricating. There are probably better waterproof lubes, but maybe not in Thailand. Good Luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 20:29   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I used to get lanolin from the local pharmecist, but lanolin is not really a lubricant. It is great in that it doesnt disolve in water, but is not good at lubricating. There are probably better waterproof lubes, but maybe not in Thailand. Good Luck. _____Grant.
Agreed! Lanolin is NOT a good high pressure grease, which is what you want in the threads of a rigging screw. However, just about any so called "marine" grease will work ok. Any chandlery will have a few to choose between.

Jim
Old 13-01-2014, 20:31   #6

Boat: O'Day 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I was referred to lanacote by my rigger.

Try rubbing a pig on your rigging. Where you are, something is better than nothing. Re-apply as necessary.
Dos Gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 03:19   #7

Boat: Skookum 53'

I tried the whole rubbing the pig thing, it just made me hungry. It would keep the muslim pirates away though. I like red grease for that application, then wrap in denso tape, then wrap in gorilla duct tape.
Old 14-01-2014, 04:37   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 36-80-82 Wanderer

I`ve always used vasoline
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 05:06   #9

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaisail View Post
Can someone recommend a good grease to use for stainless steel turnbuckles for stays and shrouds?
First, are you sure that both the threaded part and the body are both stainless steel? Many are not made that way to prevent galling. If both parts (threaded rod and body) are stainless steel then galling is a real threat. There are copper based anti-seize lubricants available at most auto supply places. But still galling is a real risk even if lubricated with anti-sieze. Don't over tighten all stainless turnbuckles.

More common is the turnbuckle made from a combination of stainless and plated bronze. It's hard to tell that the bronze part isn't stainless because it is plated and looks the same as stainless. Galling with this combination is less of a problem. If this is what you have then Lanocote (lanolin) is good. Or you can use a dry teflon lubricant such as McLube Sailkote.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 05:57   #10

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

We use Lanocote, i agree with Transmiterdan, be sure the full body is SS, Lagoon for example use a huge Turnbuckle on some models , is made of SS in the exterior body with a bronze core, , chrome plated bronze is also very popular, no idea whats going on this days with some rigging manufactures,last year we end cutting dozens of turnbuckles in some EU boats , even with a torch and big tools saving the screw turn to imposible, and in fairly new boats, and the design of some turnbuckles is kinda a dumb idea, like this long barrel turnbuckle design found it in some big catamarans with allen screws as cotter pins and with just a top key point to attach a tool to turn it, if the turnbuckle is seized , trying to turn it end with the piece deformed because the turning point is in the top of the turnbuckle. Lanocote, if you dont found it use a antiseize compound , marine grease wash away and in a sunny day is a mesh .. McLube from Harken is another option... and if you are the midle of nowhere , use grease, vaseline or whatever you have there....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 06:28   #11

Boat: Skookum 53'

You might be better off using the nickel based never sieze, it will be less reactive than the copper based.
Old 14-01-2014, 06:29   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Lanolin is water soluble sheep fat. Cheap and non-staining but a LOUSY LUBRICANT compared to any of the synthetics that will outlast it by 100x or longer.

Lanolin is cheap, won't stain your sails or clothes, but why not use a modern synthetic that doesn't wash away every time it rains?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 07:30   #13

Lanolin is actually a wax, not a fat or grease.

Its "waterproofing" or "water-resistant" properties are pretty well understood and recognized. It is this characteristic that makes it ideally suited if you want to protect dissimilar metals from galvanic corrosion such as say a stainless steel screw installed in an aluminum mast, or if you are a sheep and want to stay dry.

Anhydrous Lanolin products such as Forespar's LanoCote have been post-processed to remove all emulsified water occurring in the natural product. From Forespar-

How does LanoCote® work? LanoCote® works on these five basic principals: displaces water, absorbs corrosion, forms moisture barrier, penetrates and has high lubricity.
LanoCote® prevents dissimilar metal galvanization. LanoCote® is extremely effective in preventing and stopping corrosion on all types of metals under all environmental conditions.
Formulated to withstand salt water marine conditions, LanoCote® is particularly useful in preventing thread seizure due to all types of corrosion on boats and machinery.
Applied during assembly, LanoCote® will greatly assist in easy dismantling years later.
An example would be anchor shackles which are regularly immersed in salt water.
LanoCote® also combats galvanization where dissimilar metals are fastened together, such as stainless steel fittings on alloy masts etc.

Lanolin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look closely there is a turnbuckle on the packaging. In addition to using it as a lube or to isolate dissimilar metals I also use it on electrical connections like battery terminals. Haven't tried it but it supposedly makes an effective antifouling for propellers and inflatable dinghies as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMGA2103.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	73935  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 08:21   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Lewmar’s advice:

For turnbuckles with dissimilar metals, for example a bronze screw (chrome plated or exposed bronze) in a stainless steel body, any good waterproof grease is adequate. Lanocote is also used frequently. Oil, especially some of the oils with Teflon can also be used.

For turnbuckles with stainless steel screws in stainless bodies
, a grease containing Molybdenum Disulfide should be used. A dry lubricant containing Molybdenum Disulfide can be used. At this time, we know of no lubricant which comes close to the effectiveness of Molybdenum Disulfide in preventing galling. Note that Molybdenum Disulfide is black and makes sails and hands black very effectively!
F.A.Q's

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 08:32   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I would suggest tungsten disulphite , its a white /grey colour , its the best dry lubricant there is

Dave

Tags
rigging