Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 18:47   #1
P27

Boat: Precision P27
Rigging Replacement

My rigging is approaching twenty five years old it is the original stainless wire when boat was New. I was considering replacing the rigging.The boat is primarily afreshwater sailor. I would like to know if it would be a ok to replace the rigging in steps roller furling forestay backstage then shrouds if so what would be the best General sequence to follow assuming no surprises are found
P27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 19:17   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Rigging Replacement

The sequence dont really matter, is more important to rig lines if the mast stay without wires support for long, forestay furler is the most tricky one and the rest are easy, leave the lowers for the end, i mean keep the lowers tight until you finish with the cap shrouds, if you do it in the wáter, consider a calm dock or easy spot in the marina , no wakes from other boats... and honestly, 25 years make a toll in mast tangs , plates and other mast hardware, cracks or rust ,, so i always say its easy to unstep the mast and do it in the ground but is up to your Budget ....good luck..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 19:49   #3
P27

Boat: Precision P27

Neilpride thanks the boat is in winter storage mast is down I was considering this after the holidays. The original owner left a spec sheet of the standing rigging from when it was New wire size.fitting overall length of wire.He also left spec sheet for running rigging most of that was replaced when I purchased the boat three years ago the spec sheet should help slot with budgeting the replacement I worked in a metallurgical lab years ago so have some knowledge about corrosion and agree cracks just no way to analyze now except visual.
P27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 19:59   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Cool then, just a couple of points, if you have data from Previous Owner, dont take it for granted, measure wires from end to end or pin to togle pin , depend of the bottom termination, eye, togle ,etc.. Forestay stay sometimes dont have room for mistakes if is not fited with a turnbuckle, take the measures in a calm day, no wind, and with the tape tight...Ciao...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P27 View Post
... I worked in a metallurgical lab years ago so have some knowledge about corrosion and agree cracks just no way to analyze now except visual.
Dye Penetrant Inspection (DPI), also called Liquid Penetrant Inspection (LPI) or Liquid Penetrant Testing (PT), is a low-cost inspection method used to locate surface-breaking defects. For applications where a greater sensitivity to smaller defects is required, the fluorescent penetrant method is preferred.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:20   #6

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Do you have a Pearson 27? In 2009, on my P27, I replaced the roller furler with a new Harken and had the forestay replaced at that time. The rigger found nothing wrong with it, just did it as it was an inexpensive add-on to the job. I don't have that boat anymore, but the old forestay is hanging in my garage, coiled up. Mine was always a saltwater boat, hauled seasonally here in New England. The rest of the rig is still original, although if I had kept the boat much longer, I would be thinking about replacing the rest soon.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:48   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Cool then, just a couple of points, if you have data from Previous Owner, dont take it for granted, measure wires from end to end or pin to togle pin , depend of the bottom termination, eye, togle ,etc.. Forestay stay sometimes dont have room for mistakes if is not fited with a turnbuckle, take the measures in a calm day, no wind, and with the tape tight...Ciao...
+1

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rigging