Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 06:58   #1

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Rigging references?

Brion Toss's book "The Complete Rigger's Apprentice: Tools and Techniques for Modern and Traditional Rigging" is often described as the conclusive reference on all things rigging, but despite the subtitle some reviewers on amazon suggest that it doesn't really have good coverage of truly modern sailboat rigging. Can anyone suggest other sources where I could learn more about the latest in materials and techniques for sailboat rigging (spars & standing rigging, as well as running rigging, etc...)?

Thanks,

Tim
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:26   #2

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Hello again, Tim:

I wasn't aware of the criticisms on Amazon but they surely echo mine. Just 2 days ago, I pulled Brion's book down to look up his discussion of rope/chain splices for brait line. Couldn't find that nor even a referral to brait line at all. That's not a common North American rope product, I realize, but Geesh - nothing? I also found it wanting when trying to make some specific decisions about adding an inner stay.

This particular site, in seveal recent threads, has shown me how much useful info is being offered by manufacturers and so that's one option you have. I don't know if you save URL content for offline work but I find this very handy for saving on-line reference material that I can later refer to while out cruising, so it might be something to keep in mind as you seek out helpful websites. And that's also how I ended up meeting my need re: splicing brait.

(In case you haven't done it and assuming you run WinExplorer, select 'add' as you normally would to save a URL as a 'Favorite' but also check the 'Make available offline' box. If the site has several layers of content, click on 'Customize' and save the levels of content you want to hold onto. Later, when wanting to refer to the saved site, be sure 'Work Offline' is checked in the pull-down File menu and you can move up and down the site's "ladder" or move between websites you've saved for offline work as tho' you were connected.)

Beyond this, I too am looking for a better 'definitive' riggers book.

Jack
Old 08-01-2006, 11:01   #3

Website

Catamount

Maybe you could try this bookfinders websites?

www.bookfinder.com www.sevenseas-mn.com

http://www.boatsafe.com/books/detbook.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+Book+Websites

Hopefully, this'll help you out? Good Luck!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 14:09   #4

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Jack,

If you haven't found a suitable site for instructions for splicing brait, try this one.

http://www.yalecordage.com/html/spli...tructions.html

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 18:37   #5
Kai Nui

I also am unimpressed with Toss' book. I have found the information convoluted and unclear. The link Jentine added seems to ahve some good info.
Old 09-01-2006, 16:39   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
I have 3 books in my libaray (including Brian Toss) that I wouldn't be without. The other 2 are "Sail Power" by Wallace Ross & "Desirable & Undiserable Characteristics of Offshore Yachts" by the technical comittee of the cruising club of America. Unfortunately, the other 2 won't help you either All 3 of the books are at least a decade old, and as such, can't reflect the current state of the art in rigging. Where they are invaluable is teaching one how things work .. or at least opening one's mind to new "old" ideas. Our current boat is a very simple sloop rig, the only wrinkle (a nice touch) is a Solent stay ... however, my previous boat, a fin keeled, cutter rig .. was truly oddball. Reading Brian Toss's book lead me to develop unusual (by todays standards) but workable controls for both the staysail & main. I wish you much luck in finding information about state of the art rigging ... but highly suggest you keep those "old" books around too .. at times they can provide just the right information .. or inspiration.

Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 19:12   #7

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Sail Power

By Wallace Ross is a treasure in my opinion. It may be dated but it will always be ahead of me.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
"Sail Power" (Ross) was my first serious technical sailing text - it nearly drove the love (of sailing) out of me; but I (too) treasured it.
Wonder where it got to ...
FWIW,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
references, rigging