Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 18:40   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Rigging Modifications

I have me a real dilemma here, as you can see in the photo below. The traveler for my mainsheet is right in the way of getting from the tiller to the winches. I know this vessel was setup for racing and the builders expected the crew to operate the winches while someone was at the helm. But, now that I’m running it single handed I have to go upon deck then back down in the cockpit to adjust the winches or halyards then back again. Or, I can step over the traveler banging my shins or catching my toe in the traveler lines almost falling on my face. I plan on putting in a steering station just behind where the traveler is. The cockpit was built for one but never installed.

I would like to move the traveler forward over the gangway but I would need to put in an arch to keep from banging ones head coming from or going below. And then the mainsheet blocks would be so close to each other they would bind or get tangled up. If I go farther forward on the boom then it would be overlapping the boom vang.

So it seems more logical to go farther aft. Well, the end of the boom is right over the middle of the tiller and if I attach the traveler to the aft end of the cockpit, after a steering station is installed, the mainsheet would be at about a 30 degree angle down to the traveler hitting the coxswain (me) in the head while motoring behind the wheel.

It seems my only alterative is to extend the boom another 2’. I have 2-1/2’ to the backstay. So would this look or be out of proportion with a 16’ boom and a 14’ sail foot. I plan to buy a new mainsail in the future and it could go the 16’ but the roach might be hitting the backstay on a tack or while motoring with the main up. A 15’ sail foot might work. And by extending the sail foot another 1-2’, what would this do to the tuning of the helm. Would I have more or less weather helm?

Any ideas out there?

.................................................. ............................................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:21   #2

Boat: Formosa Georgian Mk IV 62' Dolce Vita
traveler

Whats the make and model of your vessel ? I think I may have some alternitive latouts in my records .as I had Pacific Rim Rigging in Annacotes and First Coast Rigging in St Augustine .
Old 12-10-2003, 10:46   #3

It's a custom built. A Choate 40 by, now so called, Dencho Marine in Long Beach , Ca.
There is only one other that I know of, and it's for sale in L.B., Ca.
Old 13-10-2003, 08:10   #4

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Hi Del,

You asked "Any ideas out there?" You didn't say they had to be good ideas, so here's one. How about having a SS arch built to install on your stern, and moving the mainsheet up top? The arch would also give you an attachment point for a Bimini if you think you might have need of one?
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2003, 10:20   #5

Hi Stede,

Part of the problem is the boom is 6' 4" above the cockpit deck so I have head clearance to worry about. An arch would go better over the gangway, but it would have to have head clearance which leaves very little room for the blocks.
An ach over the stern that would have head clearance, the main sheet/blocks would be horizonal not vertical. Humm! I wonder if that would work, having the main sheet/blocks horizonal?
There would be no downward pull on the boom. The vang would have to do all the work. Nah! Too funky!
A longer boom would give a vertical down pull and the traveler could be mounted on the cockpit stern.
Got me thinking now! Maybe building an internal block system into the boom would give me room for an arch over the gangway.
Old 13-10-2003, 14:00   #6

Boat: Formosa Georgian Mk IV 62' Dolce Vita
traveler

put a high beam traveler track abouve your turtle to blocks mid boom , 5 part purchase should do . you boat is in my records and I could spec out any and all rigging for proper loading . ie end of boom loading is 2709 # max If you like Harken you would use a 560-6 high beam track on page 113 , one pair of track risers on page 109 ,and if you wanted windward sheeting for your traveler you would need 4500 windward sheeting system pp 116with a BB dbl traveler car.pp 111 & trim ends pp113
LOA 40.0' DWL 37.6' max beam 12.5' displ. 14281# J=16' E=14' I=51.8' P=52.2' ect....................I personaly prefer Schaffer for traveler systems and we have 3 on our boat Staysail , Main & mizzin.
Michael
Old 13-10-2003, 18:44   #7

Bien sy Dolce Vita (Michael),

I assume the pages you are referring to are from a Harken catalog. Does it have a series or date #.

I think I'm leaning towards the arch over the gangway (turtle). To put the mainsheet on an extended boom might just rip out the traveler on an uncontrolled (accidental) jibe. The numbers you show for the rigging are real close. It has a new mast now from a 96 Catalina 40 and the J=15, I=52'3" and P=53'2". You can see on the underside of the deck where the mast was moved forward.

Most of my other rigging is Schaffer also. I'll probably stick to that. I prefer SS over plastic any day.

Thanks for all the help!
Delmarrey
Old 09-01-2006, 13:06   #8

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
delmarrey,

Just curious how you resolved your traveller dilemma. What does it look like now?

Thanks,
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 16:09   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
I had a very similar problem on my last boat, a 27' Creekmore. Couldn't mount a traveler at the bridgedeck, nor on the coachroof. What I wound up doing was a little ... uh .... unusual? .. but it worked. I mounted fiddle blocks with beckets in each of the stern quarters and 2 double blocks on the end of the boom .. giving me 2, 3 part purchase mainsheets. By uncleating one, and hauling on the other, I could manuever the boom side to side ... somewhat. Not as effective as a true traveler, but more so than a fixed point system. The main disadvantage was that when running downwind, there was a LOT of line out there!

Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging