Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2020, 19:47   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978
Rewire your own boat

After realizing my new boat has old worn out rigging with worn-out swage threads, turnbuckles, and deformed chainplates (from improperly sized clevis pins), I have made the fateful decision to rewire the boat myself and replace the chainplates.

Because it is a Cape Dory 27, luckily, I can replace all the chainplates for a little over 200 dollars from Spartan Marine.

However, what is the best source to buy wire from? I have looked online and don't know if there is a definitive best source for a good price. I need to buy 7/32 wire for the forestay, backstay, and uppers. I need to buy 5/32 for lowers. I plan to use Sta-Lock fittings.

I live in Long Island NY, so if anyone knows of places around here with good deals I would love to hear about it. In addition, if anyone has a good rigger who could do a fair price I would also consider using a service.

Any advice is appreciated as this will be the first time rewiring a boat.
Old 19-04-2020, 21:44   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Rewire your own boat

In Australia we would call the stuff you want Rigging Cable or Wire Rope rather than Rigging wire and we wouldn't talk about re-wiring the yacht we'd say re-rig the yacht. You haven't mentioned whether you want SS cable?

(I'm certainly no expert so I expect someone will correct me if I am wrong.)

If you do a DuckDuckGo on wire rope new york

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wire+rope+...=v204-1&ia=web

Maybe you could start there but if someone comes up with a personal recommendation of course that would be better,
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat