Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2023, 14:53   #1

Restoring My Grandfather's Hurley 20

I am looking for rough cost estimate to restoring my grandfathers Hurley 20. Im not looking to cross the Atlantic, just get this into decent ship shape. I plan on doing the work myself, I just need a breakdown of what I can expect to spend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43CA0BE8-7F08-4951-B5BA-3385E3E01FC3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	271083   Click image for larger version

Name:	BDB24268-9D98-4F53-9DF2-04EA49EB38C4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	271084  

BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 15:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Restoring My Grandfather's Hurley 20

To many variables for a realistic estimate..
Use galvanised wire and turnbuckles and it will cost half the price of stainless and it won't need swaging.
You've been pointed to masts in the region of $500, sails between $100 to $250.. estimate $5k for a basic fitout including small engine.
But you'll have to do your own legwork, we can only give general pointers like links to suppliers etc.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 17:43   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Restoring My Grandfather's Hurley 20

BigCity this is nothing like restoring a house or engine where there's a general idea of known parts and time estimates. Even a professional boatbuilder would not want to give a fixed price for the restoration.
On your other thread you asked what takes the most time. It's everything and usually it's a death by a thousand cuts. A friend of mine is bolting an outboard bracket on his small yacht this weekend. To access the inside nuts there's a 4 inch diameter hole in a locker that needs someone with a spaghetti arm to reach into. He first has to find the right outboard bracket, dry fit it, make some backing plates for the nuts, then find a helper to hold the bolts. Finally he is ready with the Sikaflex gun to coat the bolts and bracket and then bolt it to the transom. Then clean up all the Sikaflex residue with turpentine. Just that one job can absorb hours of time.
Everything has to be a 100% correct on a boat. There's no stepping of the boat when the outboard bracket falls Off from a shoddy installation or the boat springs a leak from a badly installed fitting.
I already gave you a break down of costs to get sailing from what I found used on Facebook. It's not rocket science, get googling and find what's for sale in your neighbourhood. One thing I can tell you if you want to have all new equipment on the Hurley then expect to easily spend 20k on a boat that's worth 3k.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 17:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you don't want to sink when you launch check the rudder shaft tube.. they are prone to rusting out which has sunk a couple of Hurleys over the years.. and good luck with the repair, its a bugga to get to.
Former Hurley 22 owner..

Old 03-02-2023, 18:03   #5

Boatman61 it's stuff like that rudder tube you mentioned that can just take forever to sort out. Plus there's nothing like grinding fibreglass in a confined space to make you rethink a boat project.
Did you sail your Hurley much?
Cheers
Old 03-02-2023, 18:11   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Boatman61 it's stuff like that rudder tube you mentioned that can just take forever to sort out. Plus there's nothing like grinding fibreglass in a confined space to make you rethink a boat project.
Did you sail your Hurley much?
Cheers
You could say that... sailed her from Brixham, UK non stop to Viviero, N Spain one November/December, then on to Figuera da Foz W Portugal.
Arrived just in time for Christmas..
Proper little ship that really looked after me..

Old 03-02-2023, 18:58   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

This thread is a waste of time.

You're not going to get any better estimates that you already have in your previous thread.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 19:47   #8

Well first off….. I just want to thank everybody for taking the time to comment and share the knowledge and wisdom to a circumcised boat skipper! I mean the dr really left my mast a little short! But this is all in good fun! Hope nobody got there dinghy in a bunch! But really opened my eyes and got a chance to explore something outside of my norm and gain a little knowledge! I’m thinking maybe do a video of the restoration and possibly use of for charitable cause! Showing people Ike me that world! Might be a fun thing to do! Now coming up with a name!
H2o maybe!!!!! Any thoughts???
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 20:28   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

How about "Hopeless Cause"?

Jim
Old 03-02-2023, 22:46   #10

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

^^^^^^^
Oh Jim, you can be a bad bad man.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 23:12   #11

Boatman 61 sounds like you got your money's worth out of your Hurley 22. A Bay of Biscay crossing is a good effort in a small yacht.
Jim I was thinking if BigCity is going to do some some fishing of the Hurley then "Master Baiter" would be a good name. "In Too Deep" could be another good name, depending how much he spends.
BigCity I hope you don't have two left thumbs. Plenty of amateur owner's improvements actually devalue the boat they are working on.
BigCity you might want to watch "Captain Ron" to get an idea of what the sailing life is like.
Cheers
Old 04-02-2023, 10:47   #12

BC — you said: " I’m thinking maybe do a video of the restoration and possibly use of for charitable cause! "

I find it as difficult, as others have done both in this thread and in your previous one, to accept that you may be serious, and that you really ARE in search of "personal development".

Nevertheless, on the long chance that you ARE serious: It IS possible to make a "dead" Hurley 20 hull into a useful boat for not a lot of money, but you cannot do it if you pay too much attention to people whose frame of reference is factory-built boats and chandler-supplied fittings. Remember that factory building of yachts and fitting them out with fancy doodads from Ronstan et al is something that has afflicted the world only for a fairly short time. Something like half my lifetime. When I departed the womb sculling a skiff, great numbers of boats in this size range were "roll-your-own"s.

You COULD, if personal development (rather than becoming just another "yottie") is your objective, and if you are willing to eschew conspicuous consumption, bring this derelict hull back to usefulness for not a lot of money. I could, if I got motivated, introduce you to some things that the majority of this forum's membership would consider UTTERLY heretical, but which will work today as well as they did in days of yore when Joe Slocum circumnavigated the world in an oyster smack he rebuilt after it had been rotting in a marsh for years, and John Voss circumnavigated the world in a "native" dug-out canoe bought from an indigenous woman on the west coast of British Columbia for a bottle of rye whiskey and, I think it was, eighty bucks! Remember that except for a small number of Yankees from "down east" all Americans are "Johnny come latelys" to seafaring. There is no reason that you shouldn't join them, even if, as seems likely to me, you will have to find your sea-legs in some place like Lake Erie rather than on the briney.

Cheers!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote