Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 07:18   #1

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
reseal hatch window gasket

I have an old Bowmar hatch where I'm getting leaks at a corner of the gasket. Tried calking with silicone sealant but not successful. Apparently it does not bond well to the plexiglass, gasket or metal frame. Suggestions about what might work better would be greatly appreciated.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 07:32   #2

Boat: Ontario32
Re: reseal hatch window gasket

I picked this stuff up a few years back "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure" did not know then if it works, it does. Our Atkins & Hoyle hatches are 40 years old. The structure is basically a lens pressed into a gasket. The gasket has aged and we were subject to leaks in heavy steady rainfalls. Laid a bead of this stuff which goes on milky and very thin. It clears up into a clear skinover on the gasket with some penetration into its porous surface. The leaks are gone, we keep the rest on board just in case. Its a British product that chandlers probably stock. No leaks on my head anymore.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 20:05   #3

Boat: Skookum 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I have an old Bowmar hatch where I'm getting leaks at a corner of the gasket. Tried calking with silicone sealant but not successful. Apparently it does not bond well to the plexiglass, gasket or metal frame. Suggestions about what might work better would be greatly appreciated.
Go to the Bomar website, look up your hatch and order new gaskets. I was just there the other night. They'll have what you need. No crappy shortcuts with goop. Nice new gaskets = no leaks.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:01   #4

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

SF Bay Dude AKA Captain Obvious: What part of "old" did you not understand?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:34   #5

Boat: Skookum 47

Quote:
I don't really understand your point nor the anonymous sarcasm that you wouldn't say if we were face to face.

Leaky hatch. Bad gasket. Get a new gasket. One can install a new gasket - it's pretty simple.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:36   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Insulting someone who's trying to be helpful is not always the best way to encourage others to help as well.

You may not like his tone or think he fully understands your situation but that's no reason to respond so rudely.

Silicone is a crappy sealant as it has terrible adhesive properties. It almost certainly won't adhere to the existing glazing bedding.

If you can't McGuyver it with some goop, call Tony at Hatchmasters (Select Plastics). He'll be familiar with your hatch and either have the part, if it's a bottom gasket, or advice on rebedding the glazing.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:40   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Bay Dude View Post
Leaky hatch. Bad gasket. Get a new gasket. One can install a new gasket - it's pretty simple.
It's actually not. It could be the bedding compound for the glazing, or it could be the gasket. More often than not on an old hatch it's the compound that fails before the gasket itself.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:41   #8

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Is this leaking between the lens and the frame or the lid and the deck?

I just recently needed to re-seal one of mine, I proceeded thusly.

With the hatch closed and dogged, take a box knife and slice out all of the old sealant from around the lens, if cut both around the perimeter of the lens and the perimeter of the frame the sealant will mostly just lift out.

Clean generously the groove, especially in the area where the lens was leaking with rubbing alcohol. Scrape the groove with a screwdriver and clean it again. Then once you think it's spotless, clean it two more times.

Lay masking tape around the perimeter of the lens and the perimeter of the frame, you should have left a canal with masking tape on both sides.

Fill said canal with ge 2800 or dow 785. These are both structural glazing silicones, available online for inexpensive purchase. Standard home store silicone will work for a short time as well, but how often do you want to do this?

Lay a bead, wipe it smooth with your finger and walk away and let the goo cure.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 05:14   #9

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

For a temporary fix I use packing tape. Yes just standard celo packing tape.

Of course you will probably need to either rebuild or replace that hatch. However I have seen people use the packing tape trick for years.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 06:19   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If it's the seal between the frame and plexi in the the hatch top, try Dow 795 structural silicone. We've used it for new and rebuild teak/plexi hatches and it bonds extremely well and has lasted for at least 4-5 years with no leaks. Follow the suggestions for proper bead thickness for a good bond.

May want to pull out the plexi and re-bed it with the 795 to avoid re-occurring leaks from the bad seal currently in the hatch. Follow the suggestions for proper bead thickness for a good bond and also the stuff is messy, so tape off well.

Heck, if it can hold in skyscraper windows.....

Cheers,
Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 06:29   #11

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

There's a brand new Practical Sailor article about this, short but relevant: Stop leaky hatches and ports - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 07:23   #12

Boat: Pearson 424

Dave22q
You indicate a leak at the corner of the gasket, SF Bay Dude gave the best answer based on your original post, not sure why you were compelled to be an ass to someone attempting to help and I probably shouldn't either but....Bomar still exists under Pompanette in Charlestown NH. They're very helpful, if you're not an ass, and still have many parts and gasket material for their old hatches. My experience anyway with my old, 1983 vintage Bomar hatches and portlights
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, hatch, wind