Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2019, 09:33   #31

Re: Repower, Old Teak Decks, or Dry Blisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So if you have it done, what does a full peel and repair cost for the average 40’ cruising boat?
Not sure, but I've heard $15-20K before.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 09:52   #32

I was curious so I looked at the listings. I'll put it politely, the owners of all three boats are in dire need of the "it's a buyers market" talk from their brokers. I'll recomend forgetting about those and looking at something like this:
https://www.yachtworld.de/Boote/1999...er-46-3493523/
Rumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 10:04   #33

Rumpi, well said. I had it termed differently but didn't want to share! I will check out the listing you shared, thank you.
Froggy Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 10:14   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpi View Post
I was curious so I looked at the listings. I'll put it politely, the owners of all three boats are in dire need of the "it's a buyers market" talk from their brokers. I'll recomend forgetting about those and looking at something like this:
https://www.yachtworld.de/Boote/1999...er-46-3493523/
Now THIS is a good idea.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 10:17   #35

Boat: Columbia 50

Id say boat number 2 pull the decks and put down cork

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 11:45   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Repower, Old Teak Decks, or Dry Blisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not sure, but I've heard $15-20K before.

I’m eventually facing it, last year when we hauled I have several smaller blisters.
I bought the boat with tiny ones, then they seemed to go away, they are now back and bigger, so it’s a matter of time.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 17:57   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy Seas View Post
Rumpi, well said. I had it termed differently but didn't want to share! I will check out the listing you shared, thank you.
The listing I linked (and to wich I have no connection) is not a center cockpit and not a decksaloon boat. I don't know your desired cruising locations but these features make most sense in cooler climates. In warm waters the decksaloon windows usually get covered (think greenhouse) and people want easy access to water so transom doors and sugarscoops become important. So if it's the Bahamas choose for it not for the PNW.
If you want to sell the boat in 5 years quickly and without huge losses buy a popular and afordable brand. Beneteau, Jeanneau, Catalina, Bavaria, etc.
Rumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 18:04   #38

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy Seas View Post
blisters: 1992 49'; less than 1400 original hours; 800 hrs original genset; no teak decks; hull was blasted and barrier coated in 2014, but now has the blisters; electronics and upgrades rate somewhere between the other two boats.
If it was done properly it would not have blisters five years later. That is very strange. Either the owner is lying to you or someone did a crappy job.

And if you have a seller who's truthfulness you come to doubt, it's time to strongly consider walking away. You'll be pulling skeletons out of that boat's lockers the whole time you own it.
Old 26-09-2019, 14:08   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
If it was done properly it would not have blisters five years later. That is very strange. Either the owner is lying to you or someone did a crappy job.

And if you have a seller who's truthfulness you come to doubt, it's time to strongly consider walking away. You'll be pulling skeletons out of that boat's lockers the whole time you own it.
I think that's extreme. This boat looks like the best one for sure. Just investigate further, and if necessary do a proper bottom job.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 14:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

I dont know, some boats cannot be completely fixed I think. As I mentioned earlier , the glass in one boat had blisters in the bilge inside as well as the outside! That means it's wet all the way through over 1" of glass. What's the proper "fix" for that? New hull?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 22:44   #41

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I dont know, some boats cannot be completely fixed I think. As I mentioned earlier , the glass in one boat had blisters in the bilge inside as well as the outside! That means it's wet all the way through over 1" of glass. What's the proper "fix" for that? New hull?
Look at the Valient 40s. They have blisters above and below the waterline that often come back after repair.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 22:55   #42

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I don't have experience with teak or blisters, but as for engine, who is quoting you that much?! I was (and will, but later) going to replace our old Perkins with a new Beta non-turbo 75 horse diesel. My quote on it was 13000 euros plus some for drop in install (beta's match their mounts to any engine mount you might have). This is appropriate sized for a 53 ft boat. Your choices are 40 something feet IIRC. 10k plus install and you have the best and most reliable engine money can buy (in my humble opinion)
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 12:51   #43

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Buy the boat with blisters if you enjoy spending your time in a boatyard fixing blisters for the entire time you own the boat.

Most blistering is caused by the resins used in the layup which is why the problem will never go away.
Old 30-09-2019, 13:15   #44

Boat: Allmand 31

I go for the teak decks remove them completely resurface he deck rebed the stantions and all other bolt on stuff like hatches and hand holds. Once done you’ll be looking at not only a pretty, but a job well done and that will more than likely need to be done on the other choices. Good luck and check out the chainplates carefully
Old 30-09-2019, 13:26   #45
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
I don't know what size boat you're looking for but a 40' ex charter mono with all equipment servicable, dingy, motor, electronics, thruster, windlass, dual fridges, 2 anchors, rodes, liferaft, everything that goes on a charter goes for 40-50K euros in the Med.
And almost half the price of similar production boats in California, with plenty of examples including non-charter, one owner, performance versions (looked at 1999 and newer).
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blisters, deck, repower, teak, teak deck