Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 18:21   #1

Boat: Gulfstar, Motorsailor, 53 ft - Morning Star
Replacing Ports with New Found Metals Ports

Any information on replacing my old opening ports with New Found Metals stainless ports. Anyone used this product, any tips on DIY installation of the stainless ports? I have 16 ports that need to be replaced so any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.
Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 22:19   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Replacing ports with New Found Metals ports

It's your lucky day, my friend.

Installing New Found Metals Stainless Portlights Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:13   #3

Re: Replacing ports with New Found Metals ports

I have installed several of these.. make sure you don't make the hole too tight to the porthole frame you need a minimum of a 1/4" clean all the way around. Otherwise you won't be floating the frame on the butyl and they will leak. Believe me... I learned the hard way. NFM has a video of installation here:
Old 12-04-2011, 08:47   #4

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
Re: Replacing Ports with New Found Metals Ports

I found it very easy and we had to have a custom spigot length which they accomadated easily. I recomend renting the template it makes it simple to get the proper cut out. With as many ports as you have (I only added one) you might want to buy some of there tools to simplify installation.
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:27   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I helped a friend replace one of his ports with NFM. It wasn't terribly difficult. The part he wasn't aware of though is that they have to be adjusted unless you want them to leak like a sieve. He called the company to complain about the leaks and was then informed of the adjustment procedure, which is pretty simple. No leaks since.

If you have 16 of them, it's going to take you a while but they will sure look nice.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:41   #6

My wife and I installed 16 ports two years ago, on our 41' Morgan OI. I am by no means mechanically oriented, but they were relatively easy to install, albeit a lot of hard work. The first 1-3 are slow, then it gets easier. Others here have pointed you to the available video/picture gallery. Follow the recommendations you find there, they work. Also, if you are going to have to widen the existing hole to accomodate the new port, buy yourself a good router to do the work of cutting through the existing fiberglass. I tried to use a jig saw at first, but due to the curvature of the hull at certain points, ended up knicking up the gel coat badly. I then bought a Dewalt countertop formica router with a bit that just cuts a straight edge, and it worked wonderfully. It produces a lot of fiberglass shreddings, so wear a tyvek suit, mask and safety glasses, unless you want to get it all over you. I was on the outside of the boat cutting inward, and so my wife would hold up a box a bit larger than the hole I was cutting which covered the opening to minimize the stuff that found its way into the cabin. While it helped a lot with the interior mess, we still had to vacuum like crazy afterward to clean it all up. Bottom line, it's doable. George - Papagayo
gchabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:15   #7

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

I am in the midst of replacing 17 plastic Grey Marine ports with NFM stainless.

Call them, they are great people! Loaded with knowledge.

As to the product, one word, WOW! Now I am a bit handy with tools, have built a dingy or three and some box spars so my woodworking skills are helpful but anyone that is careful can do this if they have some manual hand talent.

For practice, get a sheet or two of plywood and practice fitting a port a few times if need be.

The videos are great and helped me understand how to get the butyl "tape" in place.

Here is a shot of my aft cabin before and after.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	125473

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	125472

Comparing the NFM to other products at the boat shows and installed, I can see why boat manufacturers may use another product that is more money but far less labor ( meaning less cost ) and many DIY boat owners are picking NFM. There is more labor but the end resulting product is amazing.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:37   #8

Boat: CS36T

Put in eight of the 4x14 SS took two solid weekends, had all the proper tools and template from NFM. Very happy with them.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:40   #9

Boat: CS36T

Old 04-06-2016, 12:06   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I installed 10. I made my own template and used a router to cut the opening. I also used the drill devise to make the appropriate size holes. Buy an extra one or two bits, FRP dulls them quickly. I used the box on the inside system, but put a hole in the box and had the vacuum running as I was routing. Tyvek suit isn't a bad idea, but you will itch when finished no matter what you do. Used the NFM system, and the biggest p.i.t.a., is cleaning up the butyl tape. I had on slight leak after the install, and a simple hinge adjustment took care of that. They are a company with good customer service, will answer questions, and good product. Following their directions is the best way to go. I have noticed that at boat shows they sometimes offer specials.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 14:34   #11

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

A few years ago a friend put mine in with some help from me (I paid him for his time). They went in pretty well. One cutout was a little bit too big but it still worked out although I would try to be accurate as possible.

Top quality product. And, as everyone says, they are great people and very helpful. Not inexpensive but you get what you pay for. Do pay attention to the adjustments - they work.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote