Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 19:18   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
Replacing port lights on Beneteau

The original port lights on the deck of my 343 developed leaks and needed resealing. But thanks to the crazy amount of super strength adhesive used by Beneteau, my attempt to remove the one piece element turned into a medieval exercise that destroyed the port light material and damaged the opening. I repaired the opening and used 1/4" Starboard, butyl tape, and ss fasteners to seal up the opening and continued sailing. But I am not comfortable when crew venture out on deck as the Starboard isn't structurally terrific; I don't want a 250# buddy breaking through via a hard misstep on the Starboard panels. I made replacement panels out of 5/8" marine grade plywood and they are solid as a rock.

My problem is that they don't look great as they don't flex to adapt to the minor curvature of the openings. The butyl creates the seal but the edges of the wood panels are raised in an unappealing fashion. The white Starboard flexed and looked good but wasn't structurally adequate. When I checked on a replacement port light it was $1500 and who knows what kind of availability which I was hoping to avoid; I like keeping the sun/heat out of the boat so I don't miss looking up and out from the inside.

Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement material that has just a bit of flex and is strong enough to support the weight of a big guy's foot? The opening is about 18" x 28". Perhaps G10?
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 21:36   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 47.5
Send a message via Skype™ to bill1940
Re: Replacing port lights on Beneteau

Looking to replace the windows on a Golf Star 47 and wandering what best material to use? Lying in Langkawi at the moment.
bill1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau