Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 11:07   #1

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Replacement masthead light

I've been up the mast and removed my masthead light, tested it on the ground and found it has expired. So has the warranty, and at $800, I'm not in a hurry to replace like with like. It's a Lopolight combined anchor and tricolour 12V light fixture.
I like the idea of the combined unit, and there isn't room for anything else. But $800 is a bit steep for a light. Anyone got a "value engineered" replacement? Must be LED, but could be red over green/white anchor.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Replacement masthead light

I can recommend the PB (Peters and Bey) lights. They are very robust, very compact and have a glass lens which will not be damaged by sunlight. We've had ours about 5 years and it's still like new. The do a combined anchor/tricolour. PB mostly make lights for commercial vessels so their standards are high. We got ours from toplicht.de, they'll charge 20% less than the listed price for export outside europe. We also have a lopolight and the PB is much better engineered, as you'd expect of a german product - the italian lopolight is more about stylish looks than quality. Our lopolight is nowhere near as bright as it was when new.
chris14679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:12   #3

Boat: Dufour 35

Check this AquaSignal Tricolor + anchor led https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Signal-T.../dp/B00AJVGW8E.
Advertised price around $245. Probably not the same quality as your old, but still good. I have one that is 4 years old. It has seen a lot of use, but is still going. It's all plastic and the anchor lens is a bit affected by UV after three years in the tropics.
I would buy the same again!

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:37   #4

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

I second the Peters and Bey lights. Installed them on a 27-meter yacht restoration project a few years ago in the Red Sea. Good quality, very robust, and replacement parts are available. Got them from Toplicht in Hamburg, Germany.
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:58   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if it were me .. i would look for something stronger than 2 nautical miles. my hella LED anchor light was rated for that and it seemed very weak IMHO.

Old 07-06-2019, 13:49   #6

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

https://store.marinebeam.com/smart-l...be-n3-tri-cmb/

That’s just the anchor/tricolour/strobe though. I can recommend it thoroughly. They have masthead lights too.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 14:31   #7

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
https://store.marinebeam.com/smart-l...be-n3-tri-cmb/

That’s just the anchor/tricolour/strobe though. I can recommend it thoroughly. They have masthead lights too.
I second this suggestion - I installed one recently and love it! The integral photocell that turns on the anchor light automatically (if you want it to) is a really nice feature. Super easy to install and only about $140 with shipping if I recall correctly.
bigdogandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 17:01   #8

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
I second this suggestion - I installed one recently and love it! The integral photocell that turns on the anchor light automatically (if you want it to) is a really nice feature. Super easy to install and only about $140 with shipping if I recall correctly.
I bought one, should have it in a month, after the boat goes to bed for hurricane season. Still, something to look forward to at Christmas...
Thanks for the suggestions.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 23:50   #9

Boat: Outremer 50S

Unfortunately not all LEDs are created equal. We went with a LunaSea tricolor/anchor/strobe that was specifically marketed to not generate radio frequency interference. It does. Shares the masthead with our AIS antenna, receive capability reduced by 50% or more, transmit harder to quantify but also reduced. So, strong disrecommendation for the LunaSea unit. Customer service was also zero help.

See the USCG safety alert regarding VHF, AIS, and LED.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast, men