Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2019, 07:50   #1

Boat: Pearson 34
Repairing Teak & Holly vneer cabin sole

Cabin sole is delaminating. It's teak & holly veneer on 3/4 inch marine plywood. Does anyone know a source for the veneer, or have a suggestion for replacing the damaged sections of plywood? (1984 Pearson 34)
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 12:25   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Repairing Teak & Holly vneer cabin sole

Look up online for a source near you. Boulter Plywood in Medford is bound to have it, though there’s likely something closer. It is easiest to cut out new floorboards by tracing the old ones on the 4x8 sheet you buy. Seal the edges, top and bottom with epoxy (all six sides!!) and then varnish. That should keep them from delaminating for a good long while.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 12:38   #3

Boulder plywood Somerville Ma. I had to replace a settee section on our boat ! 3/4 half length ran us about $100 +- about 7 yrs ago ! Easy to get to, right off 93 ! I believe they sell veneer also !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 16:11   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Boulter Plywood moved from Somerville to Medford in the past few years. Still near 93.
Their website is super basic. Call them.
Fred Chris and the gang are super helpful. Fred and Chris are lifelong active boaters.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 08:43   #5

Boat: Ta Chiao CT-47

We had a section below the ladder that had delaminated. I cut the section out and made sure the cuts were on top of the underlying supports. I carefully pried the teak and holly veneer (it was around 1/8 inch thick) from the rotten plywood. I was able to sand the glue off the back and clean them individually. I cut a 3/4 inch Coosa board to fit the hole and then carefully glued the teak and holly pieces back down on top.

Yes, it was a little bit of work, but it matched perfectly and it was way easier than replacing the whole sole, most of which was still in great shape.
Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 09:18   #6

I have the same need. Does anyone know of a source in the Midwest close to Chicago / Lake Michigan?
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 10:20   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

following. There was a really good wood store in MSP, but they went out of business a couple of years ago, and now I have no idea where to get teak ply, or teak and Holly, etc.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 11:03   #8

Boat: Contest 50CS

I think Jamestown Distributors sell the laminate and they ship anywhere.
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 12:58   #9

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSB333 View Post
Cabin sole is delaminating. It's teak & holly veneer on 3/4 inch marine plywood. Does anyone know a source for the veneer, or have a suggestion for replacing the damaged sections of plywood? (1984 Pearson 34)
RSB333
I replaced the galley and hallway sole on my Sprindrift Motoryacht with 18 mm thick teak and holly on marine plywood from World Panel: https://www.worldpanel.com/product-p...le-plywood-4x8
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 13:08   #10

Boat: Hunter 46

Jamestown Distributors sells 4' x 8' x 3/4" sheets for $485. Marine Plywood sells same for $296. Edensaw also sells them but you have to call for a price.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?pid=51940

https://www.marine-plywood.us/teakandholly.htm

Shopping Cart
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:38   #11

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

Annapolis area - Exotic Lumber
Unbelievable wood store
Teak & Holly standard in store in many sheet sizes and thicknesses.

https://www.exoticlumber.com/
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:09   #12

Boat: Millkraft 54 (16.48m)
Send a message via Skype™ to mstr_cmdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSB333 View Post
RSB333
I cannot help you with a source of veneer (different "side" of the planet), but I may be able to provide you with a different solution.
The problem with the veneer (teak and holly 1.8mm thick over 5mm ply) was not delimitation but constant wear (and abuse from "things" being dropped on it).
Short story: the cabin sole needed to be replaced.
I opted to remove the existing ply/veneer as it was glued to a 25mm aluminium honey-comb sub-strate, and replace it with rosewood strips (44mm x 6mm) and white beech filler-strips (6mm x 6mm). The edges were 22mm x 6mm rosewood.

Time consuming - absolutely. However, I believe this gives a better result than veneer over ply.
The pix shows the existing veneer on the cabin sole hatches on the right (teak 60mm wide with 6mm holly strip); the left side of the pix shows the laid boards (rosewood 50mm wide with 6mm white beech strips).

A further suggestion: to get the "lines" of the strips/planks accurately aligned, I used a laser level/sight (AUD29.95 from Bunnings).

All the best with what you decide to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	206011  
mstr_cmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:10   #13

I'm thinking that I will not be able to get the full width of the cabin sole through the companionway.

I think this wood was installed before the deck was put on the hull.

With the stripes running the long way, cutting the pieces to width would be the strongest solution but the worst in appearance.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for splicing? How is this normally done?
Old 01-01-2020, 11:26   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
I'm thinking that I will not be able to get the full width of the cabin sole through the companionway.
You just made me grab the tape measure and check ours

After 32 years ours is looking a little sad and worn, but we will probably go with a vinyl instead like this or fake block wood pattern. Two dogs and a wet climate are hard on T&H.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moody-31-huge-294074008525251a.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	206013  
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 13:35   #15

A couple of years ago I ran across a guy who specialized in replacing cabin soles. He had a man made material which looked good and was 100 percent waterproof. It had to be made for the marine industry since it had the nautical striping of teak and holly printed on the surface but was a shade lighter. The base material was not plywood, it looked more like material they use on outdoor decking... kind of a mix of plastic and celulose. Since his business didn't cover my area, I didn't keep the card, but wish I had.

Pete7 when you say vinyl, are you referring to vinyl laminate flooring or something like I just described?

If you get away from the traditional look, there must be plenty of flooring options available. Our library remodeled their entrance and went with a flooring that looks like marble, but feels like rubber. They needed something waterproof and anti skid to deal with the winter weather and the snow that gets tracked inside. I mention this partly because of how slippery a varnished wood Teak and Holley floor can be when wet.

I started looking for Teak and Holley plywood but you've got me thinking of looking into alternatives.

Tags
cabin, cabin sole, grass, teak