Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 01:45   #1

Boat: Australian South Coast 36
Repairing Softspot on deck

Hi !

I’ve seen s couple of forums re fixing soft spots on a deck, I have an old boat from the 80s with a soft spot ( not actually that soft yet) approx one square foot. Has anyone actually used injectadeck ? Would love to hear the results.

Thanks guys 👍
Daimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:09   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Repairing Softspot on deck

First post eh?

Can you give they guys a bit more info about the boat: construction? (I presume it is not steel?)
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:54   #3

Sure, it’s an Australian Cruiser (Southcoast 36 Foot Ketch). Fibreglass with balsa wood core, area is not really soft yeh so I’m hoping it’s not too bad, I’m going to get s ship to look st it in a couple of weeks, the area in question is about 1 sq foot Max. Or can anyone recommend someone round SYDNEY harbour? -Thanks !

Link to boat if anyone wants to have a look, overall she is in good shape:
https://youtu.be/k9COaYOKYz0
Old 08-08-2019, 04:10   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

What’s caused that particular spot to go soft?
I will be interested to hear the results of Injectadeck as well
Where’s GordMay
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:38   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

It and similar fixes apparently work sometimes, because some people post to that effect. Others post otherwise. The best way to really fix soft decks is often to go at them from under neath. That way the deck doesn’t get lots of holes in it that make it look like you have chicken pox. You may have to remove a liner to get at the area, but those are usually easy to replace. You can then cut through the inside layer of fiberglass to expose the delaminated or rotted core that is making the soft spot. Replacing that with new material (working on the underside, against gravity) may not be easy, but it is the best way to make sure the problem is fixed. The repair doesn’t have to be pretty if it’s covered by the liner, and you can go sailing.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:06   #6

Boat: Scout 30

I've repaired a deck from below & don't ever want to have to go through that again. If you do this I strongly recommend a full Tyvek suit, goggles & a respirator. I also recommend that you seal off the area with plastic because if you don't there will be fiberglass dust all over your boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:34   #7
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33

Repairing soft deck cores from underneath is NOT the way forward. Gravity is not your friend in this case. Unless you can/will use vacuum bagging you will not get proper bonding to the bottom of the upper fiberglass layer (bottom of the deck proper) and maybe even the core itself. This does not even mention the previously mentioned mess, which was terrible.

I have fixed two smallish areas of soft core and tried it the first time from the bottom. It was awful and I ended up having to drill and inject epoxy through the deck anyway. The second repair, from the top, was much easier, cleaner, and even faster. Once the anti skid was repainted the top repair is virtually invisible
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:59   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you are fixing a small area, drilling a number of holes through the top skin in 4"-6" grid, routing out a bit of the goo and filling with thickened epoxy and Bob's your uncle. The epoxy will stabilize the surface laminate without having to totally rebuild the surface strata. I like to use Dremel 199 bit to route out the core. Inserting the bit at as close to a 90 degree as you can and then rotating vertical will result in very small damage to the surface.

First thing and MUST BE DONE is locating how the water has gotten into the core and stopping the leak. Without doing that the cancer will just spread.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 14:07   #9

Hi, someone put in a Lewmar hatch vent, and didn’t seal off properly, so at lease I know where the problem is ...
Old 08-08-2019, 14:09   #10

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking ��
Old 08-08-2019, 14:14   #11

Thanks for the tip using the Dremel 199,.. Cheers ��
Old 08-08-2019, 14:30   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

West System Epoxy has a boat repair manual on their website and it contains a section on repairing soft deck core and reinstalling the top FG layer.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 15:03   #13

Boat: Volkscruiser

RGN not sure what you did wrong repairing the deck upside down but I have never had a problem. Just make sure you have a good epoxy glue slurry on top of the balsa core and some timber/wedges to hold it in place. Scout 30 is right in saying that it is terrible work but it looks better than damaging the exterior deck surface.
If it’s just around the Lewmar deck hatch, why not remove it and use a hacksaw blade to remove all the soft core and either fill it again with strands of glass wetted out in epoxy or just straight epoxy filler?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 15:26   #14

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Go to YouTube and find "Free Range Sailing." There is a vid of removing and replacing a soft spot of Balsa core. Worth the watch and entertaining too.
dadster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:04   #15

Boat: Boatless :( (for now)

Hi Daimo,

Firstly, some of these old boats were just under built and may have had a little bit of a bouncy deck from day one. I know the Hoods were notorious for this.

Not a bad idea to investigate before cutting the outside skin.

Sometimes looking from underneath is a good first step as the may be no gel (flow) coat. The inside skin is only a couple of millimetres thick. Bad rotten core can (should) be black and sometimes can be seen. Grab a torch and have a good look.

Also have a bit of a tap around (20c/50c coin is a good tool) from underneath and work out where sounds soft (dull). Outline the area with a pencil.

When the vent is out check the core to see how wet it is if it wasn't sealed properly.

Next step can be a couple of drill samples from underneath with a 6/8mm. Should be able to see if the core is wet or damp. Sometimes water actually drips out! If it is hard to tell, the smell will give it away. Rotten core stinks!

I agree with roverhi with the drill/epoxy squeeze in the holes. Once drilled the hole, a de-coring tool made from a 4mm Allen Key with the tip ground off in a slow drill is useful. Removes core but allows more glue to go in.

Page 4 on https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/w...s-May-2014.pdf

However this can be done from the underside using thickened epoxy in a syringe and a spot of tape to keep it in. This method is cutting corners but is effective and quick.

If you are going to bite the bullet, I'd go from underneath if possible. Deck repairs can be VERY hard to make seamless. It is possible to achieve good bonds with proper preparation when doing a dry fit. And yes it will be messy, but thats half the fun. Again preparation for mess is key.

Private Message me for repairers in Sydney if you want mate, was a shipwright there for 14 years until recently.

Good luck!

Adam
boatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck