are completed. I used a variety of cleaners, flushing
them into the ballast section via the access hole I cut. Collected the cleaners as they dripped out the hole under the keel. The hole under the keel is one I drilled in the hairline crack that seeped gunk.
Used a heat gun set at 70 degree C to blow through the keel. In the access hole, out the hole under the keel.
After a week of flushing, there was almost no oil seeping out. I would flush and then put the heat gun blowing through. The warmth helped the oil to flow out.
Finally, I did a last small flush using a syringe into the hole under the keel with some mineral turps which seemed to be the best for removing the oil. Then a small flush with methylated spirits just to make sure all was clean.
Drilled out the hole under the keel with a bigger bit to give fresh surfaces. Plugged the hole with a thin strip of linen cloth soaked in epoxy and pushed up with a stick. The cloth was like a sponge holding the epoxy in place. When completely set, I checked it to see if any contamination had caused any problems with setting. All good.
Using an angle grinder and sanding
disk, I cut a bowl shape ready for doing the standard fibreglass repair. The plug
got sanded back but it was only there to stop any contamination seeping into the patch I was about to apply.
All seemed good. Applied the many layers of fibreglass cloth and epoxy. Covered with peel ply held on by masking tape to keep it all in place and stop epoxy dripping down.
Also ground out the access hole I had cut in the side of the keel and did the same sort of repair there.
Since I was running short of time on the slip I used the heat gun to set the epoxy faster.
Both patches looked great the next day. Sanded back nicely. Coated with two pack primer/undercoat.
Day after I painted with antifoul.
The keel crack was a problem as oil in the ballast had stopped the original repairs from sticking properly. Needed the access hole drilled so I could flush and dry the interior
. Once the contaminant was stopped from getting into the repair I was able to fix the keel crack. And also fix the access hole. Overall I am very happy with the repair.