Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2018, 05:50   #1

Boat: Cal 2-30
Repainting Interior of Cal 2-30

Hi all,

I'm the new owner of a Cal 2-30. One of my first projects is going to be stripping off the paint (and mold) in the interior and re-painting it. I've done a bit of research, but I'm totally new to this type of work. I figured I'd run my plan past the forum so that someone can point out the obvious thing that I'm overlooking.

Here is an Imgur album with pictures of the current interior.

Step 1: Remove paint
After scraping off the loose stuff, I've got a belt sander and an orbital that I'm going to try first because it seems they would be most efficient, but according to some old forum posts, a soft wire wheel or 3M Roloc Bristle Discs and aircraft stripper seem to work really well. Do you expect the aircraft stripper to be necessary? I want to do this right. 60 or 100 grit seems to be the way to go?

Step 2: Clean
Vacuum and wipe down. I found an article that referenced cleaning with a TSP Solution and acetone - is it only necessary to use both of those to remove the wax that the article references?

Step 3: Prime
Not sure exactly what kind of primer I'll use but it sounds like it's necessary so I'll figure that out

Step 4: Paint
Seems like the consensus is to use exterior house paint so I'm planning on using something like this. I've read about a few people mixing an anti-mildew agent into the paint so I'll probably do that. Does anyone have any suggestions on that front? For application, I'm planning on just rolling on as much as possible because most of the surfaces are flat.

That's my plan. Please rip it to shreds!

Sean
Old 05-04-2018, 06:16   #2

Re: Repainting Interior of Cal 2-30

I guess I forgot a couple things. Obviously, I'm going to cover every surface that isn't going to be repainted with plastic sheets and tape it down well, taking special care to make sure any access to the bilge is secured. Planning on having a shop vac running to cut down on the dust in the air, but even so it seems necessary to have a respirator with full face protection, disposable coveralls and gloves to prevent any fiberglass that gets into the air from reaching my skin... Is all that necessary or am I being neurotic?
Old 05-04-2018, 06:26   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Here's some before/after pictures on the aft cabin remodel I did. My boat (a Morgan OI 415) had a vinyl liner that I ripped out. I then faired with epoxy and filler, 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of gloss - sanding before each coat. I used Interlux paints (primer and Brightsides) which is probably overkill but I really don't want to paint again

I like the gloss paint as it is easy to wipe down and even with limited lighting the cabin is bright. I really hate the old-fashioned "cave" feeling on older boats.

I'm doing the same with the rest of the boat interior but I am spending a little more time on the fairing to make the walls smoother. As I live on the boat I was in a little bit of hurry to get the cabin complete so I could move off the couch in the main salon.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:49   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

We repainted the interior of our boat with this Sherwin Williams product.
https://protective.sherwin-williams....ce=vertmarkets

I cannot recommend it highly enough. The stuff was absolutely fantastic to paint with, stuck to EVERYTHING, even shiny gelcoat. Its now been 2 years (of full time cruising with 3 kids) and it still looks like the day I painted it. We did have the local SW store add mildicide before shaking it for us. Even then, we do get small amounts of easily wiped away surface mold in odd spots. However, I'm not sure that can be prevented down here in the Caribbean as even shiny gelcoat gets the same thing (yes , I have tried vinegar, boric acid and even muriatic).

One word of caution.. This paint STINKS bad when you are applying it. Have good ventilation and use a mask. The smell goes away in about 2 days.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:46   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Investigate Killz Oil Based Primer. I can't speak about fiberglass (I was working with wood) but nothing seeps through it. I had 35 years of mildew, smoke, various finishes, you name it. After cleaning and lightly sanding I put on 2 coats (overkill, didn't need 2 in retrospect). It evened out imperfections, encapsulated all the nasty's and gave me a great base for the finish coat.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:03   #6

Here's another angle you might find a lot easier. Use a pressure washer with TSP. Works wonders and will clean you bilge at the same time. Get epoxy garage floor paint at Home Depot. They can tint the stuff to any color you want. Roll and tip. The painted surfaces will outlive your boat. I've painted a bunch of boats this way and never had a failure. You'll have the interior ready for paint in a couple of hours. Paint time is up to you. Good luck!
lolly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:04   #7

Boat: Morgan Out Island 33

Sounds like you have a reasonable game plan. For a primer I used Kliz or Zinsser. I suspect there are other suitable brands. Some varieties specify being
Mildew resistant. I used a high quality exterior house paint. Both went on easy,
Good coverage. I am not a good painter but I was very happy results.
Good luck.
cwoflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMaine View Post
Hi all,

I'm the new owner of a Cal 2-30. One of my first projects is going to be stripping off the paint (and mold) in the interior and re-painting it. I've done a bit of research, but I'm totally new to this type of work. I figured I'd run my plan past the forum so that someone can point out the obvious thing that I'm overlooking.

Here is an Imgur album with pictures of the current interior.

Step 1: Remove paint
After scraping off the loose stuff, I've got a belt sander and an orbital that I'm going to try first because it seems they would be most efficient, but according to some old forum posts, a soft wire wheel or 3M Roloc Bristle Discs and aircraft stripper seem to work really well. Do you expect the aircraft stripper to be necessary? I want to do this right. 60 or 100 grit seems to be the way to go?
Id use the 3M, not tried it myself but Id be keen to give it a go. I have used other blue 3M disks (dont know what theyre called) and they were pretty good

Careful tho, if you eat into the laminate (which is possibly cored) you best repair that by reglassing with resin. Then you have to know if the part you are cleaning off is made with polyester resin, because epoxy wont stick to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMaine
Step 2: Clean
Vacuum and wipe down. I found an article that referenced cleaning with a TSP Solution and acetone - is it only necessary to use both of those to remove the wax that the article references?
Acetone on its own is probably cheaper and the tried and true way. Remember you are in a confined space, Id be concerned about fumes and being overcome by them. That would mean using a respirator system

Quote:
Step 3: Prime
Not sure exactly what kind of primer I'll use but it sounds like it's necessary so I'll figure that out
I only did bits of the bilge, but I used Hempels 2 part epoxy bilge paint. 2 coats and its done, even over the roughest surfaces. Do not use gloss paint whatever you do, semi gloss would be fine

Quote:
Step 4: Paint
Seems like the consensus is to use exterior house paint so I'm planning on using something like this. I've read about a few people mixing an anti-mildew agent into the paint so I'll probably do that. Does anyone have any suggestions on that front? For application, I'm planning on just rolling on as much as possible because most of the surfaces are flat.
Roller is fine, be careful to not do too much at a time. It can get away from you and you can miss unsightly paint runs, especially since you are painting verticals and overhead. No way would I use house paint. I think if you skimp this now you will regret it forever.

Quote:
That's my plan. Please rip it to shreds!

Sean
done
Old 05-04-2018, 09:15   #9
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

I used Petit ezcabincoat, water based, 3 years ago in my Cal 2-29, living full time in Miami. No more mold [emoji4]
Old 05-04-2018, 10:01   #10

Check at an auto body shop supplier for paint for fibreglass. Talk to knowledgeable person at counter. Stuff i got was made by Akzo Nobel. My boat is 40 miles away or I'd look up the exact type I bought. Great after 3 years. Gloss white, like living inside a fridge. Cheap at $55/gal.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:21   #11

Boat: Albin Vega 27

I would caution you against using aircraft stripper. The active ingredient is methylene chloride and is very toxic to human biology. Creates noxious vapors and horrible chemical burns. Best to just stick to sanding with a vac hose attached. The smell of stripper really never goes away. It also could damage fiberglass and plastics. I used to strip and paint airplanes. Terrible stuff.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:30   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Slightly off-topic, but my family owned Genie, Cal 2-30 #90, for about ten years when I was in college in the early 80s. I loved that boat, and I think it's terrific that that class is still bringing its owners enjoyment. We did have some issues with the steel fuel tank, and we occasionally flooded the engine when the water backed up in the exhaust system, but generally it was a wonderful, safe, and remarkably fast boat.

Congratulations!

Chuck Hawley
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:45   #13

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

Oil based primer and oil based paint are what you need.
I have used them on all our boats and never had an issue.
Latex paint is water-based and will mold and mildew, I would not use them on a boat.
Clean the fiberglass and paint.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
We repainted the interior of our boat with this Sherwin Williams product.
https://protective.sherwin-williams....ce=vertmarkets

I cannot recommend it highly enough. The stuff was absolutely fantastic to paint with, stuck to EVERYTHING, even shiny gelcoat. Its now been 2 years (of full time cruising with 3 kids) and it still looks like the day I painted it. We did have the local SW store add mildicide before shaking it for us. Even then, we do get small amounts of easily wiped away surface mold in odd spots. However, I'm not sure that can be prevented down here in the Caribbean as even shiny gelcoat gets the same thing (yes , I have tried vinegar, boric acid and even muriatic).

One word of caution.. This paint STINKS bad when you are applying it. Have good ventilation and use a mask. The smell goes away in about 2 days.
Thanks Traveler. I'll look into it. I just tried to look up that product online and didn't find anyone selling it. Maybe it goes by a colloquial name?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Here's some before/after pictures on the aft cabin remodel I did. My boat (a Morgan OI 415) had a vinyl liner that I ripped out. I then faired with epoxy and filler, 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of gloss - sanding before each coat. I used Interlux paints (primer and Brightsides) which is probably overkill but I really don't want to paint again

I like the gloss paint as it is easy to wipe down and even with limited lighting the cabin is bright. I really hate the old-fashioned "cave" feeling on older boats.

I'm doing the same with the rest of the boat interior but I am spending a little more time on the fairing to make the walls smoother. As I live on the boat I was in a little bit of hurry to get the cabin complete so I could move off the couch in the main salon.
Thanks dwedeking! I'll read through your blog entry tonight when I have a minute. Seems like you have put together a great site! Kudos

Tags
cal, interior, paint